“Not too Bad”

La Quinta Inn Berkeley
Ranked #5 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 18 September 2013

I was a little hesitant when I heard that my step dad made reservations at this hotel for our two day stay. I had read some of the reviews and was a little dissappointed we were staying here. The hotel is in a area of town that isnt that great but it is close to freeways and Bay Bridge. We stayed here for two nights over weekend while attending Giant's games. It is so expensive to stay in the city that we decided to stay across the bay. The hotel it self is in fairly good condition. Rooms are small but clean. Our air conditioner didnt seem to pump out cold air like I thought it should, as a matter of fact the room seemed to get warmer with the a/c on. The bathroom is very small, I prefer a bigger bathroom, but I guess as long as there is a toilet, shower/tub, and sink thats all you need. The breakfast they provide is good. Waffles, cereal, eggs and sausage along with bagels, muffins, coffee, tea, juice.etc. The last night we stayed someone kept trying to enter our room at about 1 a.m., it was a young girl who didnt speak english and didnt understand that this was not her room. We had to call the front desk and have security help her find her room. The pool was "out of order" during our stay. What does Out of Order mean???

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank MEANY1972

Reviewed 9 September 2013

This La Quinta is not too far from UC Berkeley and shopping, however it is not in a good area. Fortunately, the room was clean and comfortable so I didn't mind staying in at night. The building is old which gives the lobby some character for a La Quinta. Some rooms have miniature balconies you can almost walk out onto. The bed and the pillows were very comfortable and I had no complaints with the room cleanliness. The front desk staff was friendly as was the breakfast staff. The breakfast was pretty typical motel but the dining area was large.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 September 2013

Used some reward points to book a 2 x QS bed room on 8 Sep 2013.
I have a Travel Card which does not have a name printed on it and this was the first hotel I have encountered that would not accept it even though the La Quinta on-line booking site accepts it.
Disappointed that as a Platinum Member I had to jump through hoops to get the welcome gift that is supposed to be part of the deal.
They have postcards but despite printing them they are hidden away from view and we had to ask for them.
But on the real serious side the hotel is old but nice and the rooms were excellent. WiFI is good and breakfast above average. The girl on duty at breakfast is a gem and makes everyone welcome and ensures breakfast is enjoyed.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple
A La Quinta traveler
Berkeley, California, USA
Reviewed 7 September 2013

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta
Reviewed 6 September 2013 via mobile

I have no idea how others thought this place was ok and I am feeling very misled but I am checking out two days early!

The neighborhood is all boarded up and bars on windows. I was told to not walk in the neighborhood. That was the start.

The pool is not clean and the hand rails are weebly wobbly. My room was clean but very stale. The desk clerk said he was putting me into a quiet area. It was until the next door neighbors kept trying to open the adjoining door. Bed was way soft but I did like the firm pillows. Bathroom not working properly. Front desk staff overworked---phone calls not answered.
Breakfast was ok but not worth the stresses.
So disappointed.

• Stayed: September 2013
1  Thank Annfhg
Reviewed 4 September 2013

This hotel needs a complete make-over. It does not meet the usual La Quinta standard. The front area outside and lobby are uninviting. Upon arriving we noticed what looked like prostitutes in front of hotel. The room and area did not feel secure. There was no lock on the screen door to balcony; just a funky latch. Did not feel safe. There was no safe available in the room nor front desk. The bed was absolutely awful and uncomfortable, incredibly soft with no support; just sunk into the middle. The room was dirty around the edges. The bathroom was quite basic and uninviting.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank Marc B
Reviewed 31 August 2013

Yes we did pay more than usual for this standard of hotel but that was due to timing I.e. Berkeley College semester starting so accommodation throughout the area was at peak prices. Hotel was fine, staff were very friendly and helpful, breakfast was the usual I.e. very limited no of tables especially busy during the last 30 minutes. Plenty of parking. I would have no hesitation in staying here again.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family