“Old decayed motel, not so much value for money”

La Quinta Inn Berkeley
Ranked #7 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Brussels
“Old decayed motel, not so much value for money”
Reviewed 17 July 2014

+ The rooms were big ( we occupied a room with a king bed and a room with two queen beds ), the beds were perfect, the breakfast was not bad ( + scrambled eggs, sausages, freshly baked waffles, - coffee made from a coffee sirop).
- There was a prevailing chemical odor ( opening windows did not help ), the carpet floor was a bit sticky, doors are old. Local friends told us the place is a bad neighbourhood.

Conclusion: this is a rundown motel that charges way too much.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank metdank

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (49)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
Antwerp
Reviewed 14 July 2014

We stayed 3 nights at this Hotel as part of the start of our West Coast road trip (2 childhood friends). The rooms are descent and clean, big enough and the 2 queen size beds where great. The carpet of the general hallway was dirty but we didnt really care. The location was perfect for us. A short trip over the bay bridge and you can explore San Francisco (stop at treasure island) but its also great to go to the north east as we visited lake tahoe.
The breakfast was one of the best we had our entire roadtrip! The free wifi was also a plus because it was fast en workung fine. Parking space at the back. To be honest, this hotel is not cheap when on a budget as part of a roadtrip. Another negative is the so called gym. A total of some cardio trainin equipment is not the same as a gym and the lack of weightlifting gear made us skip gymtime in total. In conlusion:
+ Rooms big enough and good beds
+ Breakfast was super
+ Location is great to explore when having a car
- Not cheap if you are on a thight budget
- Fitness/gym only consists of some cardio equipment

• Stayed June 2014
1 Thank Florentijn
Reviewed 11 July 2014

This is a really classic but aged hotel. It has a roman column style with tapestry furnishings. I love the foliage and landscape. I guess I'm a bit of a naturalist. There was a great tree that looked like it was wearing a hat. I liked the presence of dogs. I like animals and it was good that the hotel allowed the. The cable was awesome as well as the tv. I didn't like that I had to go to the second floor from the 3rd floor to get ice. Then when I got to the 2nd floor the machine barely yielded ice.

Room Tip: Lots of direct sunlight in the rooms facing the north west side. The east side of the building may...
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank Femi2012
Oregon
Reviewed 9 July 2014 via mobile

I read the reviews before I booked and this is what I recommend:

1) one of the reviews noted the neighborhood and I agree it isn't the best hornet it isn't the worst either. It would be nice if they closed the north gate after 10PM and monitored the entrance which would add to the sense of security. However our van loaded with our son's belongings (we were helping him move to his new home) was never disturbed and thus we felt just fine in that neighbor hood. Also being aware of your surroundings when you travel is better than being afraid.

2) Re: the "shooting" comment, that is unfortunate that a situation like this occurred during that travelers stay however that isn't the hotels fault. I'm sure the staff attempted to minimize the impact on that traveler and probably also made a monetary adjustment.

3) The hotel commons area and the rooms are very clean and comfortable.

I will return.

• Stayed July 2014
1 Thank pbaer
Torrance, United States
Reviewed 7 July 2014

This hotel is a very good value. The rooms are clean and decorated in good taste. Family and pet friendly environment. The breakfast is excellent, and not just continental. The staff goes out of their way to be helpful. We would definitely return to La Quinta Berkeley.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with La Quinta

2 Thank Grace P
Grapeland, Texas, United States
Reviewed 17 June 2014

This is an older hotel that has been remodeled. I had problems with the front desk staff upon checking in while asking for an upgrade. Then I was unable to procure any washcloths for my stay. However the manager on duty, Joy, was very helpful and resolved my problems during my stay.

Room Tip: I was on the 2nd floor and could hear people on the 3rd floor walking and moving above me. There w...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple