“Accessibility rooms and free internet.”

La Quinta Inn Berkeley
Ranked #8 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 20 October 2010

I wanted a accessibility room and staying with my parents. They only had rooms with one king bed that was so high my mom could not climb into it. How high? 32 inches and too thigh in the room for moving around in her wheelchair. Her option was to sleep in a rollaway bed that was too low, that blocked our exit and access to the bathroom.

WiFi required us to go through a log in SLOW log in process again and again, despite testing fast in a speed test, they seem to throttle usage. I gave up and it was easier to use my 3G phone for internet access.

We had trouble with our access card and had to stand outside the building for a long time one night until someone coming out let us in. We would spend 5 mins. trying to open our room door before we got in.

• Stayed: October 2010, travelled with family
2  Thank AllanD04
There are newer reviews for La Quinta Inn Berkeley

Reviewed 7 August 2010

If it wasn't for the following amenities, then this hotel would've gotten a lower rating (half star)

Located on busy University Ave. right near the 80 freeway, a couple miles from UCB, if you're facing the front, be prepared for noise. We requested a room facing the back so we didn't have to deal w/ street noise...just stupid barking dogs and screaming kids :(

We've stayed at several types of hotels from first class to budget hotels and I have personally found that when confronted w/ an issue, it's soooo much more effective to be NICE to the workers and you'll get treated nicely, but w/ this hotel, their service is terrible w/ a capital T even if you're nice to them!

If you have any requests/needs to be accomodated, forget this hotel. From corporate end, they don't even really respond to you. I tried several times to contact the hotel and couldn't get any help from any worker. The "lady" that checked us in had no personality and wouldn't help us w/ anything.

Just to get towels I had to wait over 3 hours and make 2 calls to her and when finally getting towels she calls me and tells me to come downstairs to the front desk to get them! Even in the worst hotel I've stayed at, I've never had to get my own towels!

While the workers aren't directly "rude" to your face, they're not overly helpful, is the best way I could describe this hotel. They're lazy and couldn't care less about setting a good impression. The guy who checked me out was much friendlier.

Thank God it was just a one night stay (to visit UCB). The Berkeley area is disgusting, scary and smells like pot, urine & smoke. Yuck! Couldn't get out of here soon enough!!! It was not a safe feeling.

Having said that, they provide 2 perks which provide for a cost saving stay if you do have to stay there.

Therefore, if you're a practical type of frugal traveller, who wants "the comforts of home" (which we are) then you'll really appreciate these amenities:

1. Free parking
2. Free breakfast every morning until 9:30 am. They provide juice, coffee, tea, milk, waffles, toast/bagels/pastries, instant oatmeal, dry cereals. Bottled water dispenser in gym & dining room

They also have on site laundry room if you need it (we didn't use, so I don't know how much it cost).

Now here are the features/our experience that would lower our rating:
1. No pool for use (under construction), which wasn't a big deal since it was just overnight. I don't think they have a jacuzzi either.
2. Walls are thin so yes, you can hear your neighbors- screaming kids and barking dogs. But we just kept the AC on the entire time in our room to drown out noise. Plus I always use ear plugs.
3. fitness room is useless
4. Bad customer service/not helpful employees, even when you are very nice to them (which I always am).

We got this on priceline (it was 2 star rating hotel, which I think is too high). Compared to other priceline deals, this was way over priced.

The room we had were 2 double beds

Housekeeping/front desk was terrible.

If you want pool/jacuzzi, entertainment, nice gym, fancy hotel, you'll be disappointed. If customer service is important to you, then you'll hate this place. I would really try to avoid La Quinta hotels in the future (although we had a decent experience @ LQ in Santa Ana, which is under a separate review).

Have safe & happy travels!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank SoCalTravelGal
Reviewed 21 June 2010

The La Quinta Inn is located on University Avenue, near Rt. 80. The property is well fenced, but the area is a little worn. We stay here every two years for a business conference. The carpeting is the same as what we saw two years ago, and is showing its age - it's dirty and looks as if a good shampooing won't make a difference any more. However, the staff are very nice and friendly, the breakfast is very reasonable and the room where it's served is nice. The room itself is large, and the bathroom is well lit and ours was quite clean. When asked for a quiet room, we were put at the end of the hall facing the back of the hotel, ideal for us. There were plenty of towels. The room includes a small refrigerator and microwave, along with a card table sized table with two chairs which make eating in the room convenient. Trader Joe's has just opened a little over a mile away. So... the room itself it nice, except for the carpet. The hotel staff are helpful. It's not a bad choice for the price, but a long way from plush.

• Stayed: June 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 5 May 2010

We chose the La Quinta Inn and Suites because it was close to our home (we were remodeling) and they accepted pets. The hotel was undergoing its own renovation, so the water was off during the day, several days of our extended stay. It is unfortunate that the remodeling was going on...and most unfortunate that the workers were noisy and started working before 7am.

There were a few issues with the room. Our room was next door to the maintenance room, and the workers were very noisy in there. Then, they found out that our toilet was leaking and the staff wanted us to move to another room, so they could make repairs (this was problematic because we had hunkered down for a two weeks stay-- moving the dog and two computers, as well as our suitcases).

Our dog had had her flea dip before we went to the room, but there were still fleas in the room. We think they were in the room, and not from our dog (she usually doesn't
have a problem with that since we give her medication on a regular schedule)

We liked that the hotel mops the common area floors several times a day. And, the breakfast was nice everyday. The internet wasn't consistent, but that's to be expected. We liked the location-- there's a Tiki Bar a couple of doors down and it's really yummy.

We will have to stay in the hotel again, I'm sure, as we finish remodeling and moving. Hopefully, La Quinta is done with its remodeling and the hotel is quieter now.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Stayed here for one night with my high school junior while visiting UC Berkeley for the tour. I picked this spot due to the proximity to the campus visiting center (8 minute drive), and cheap rate. (Considerably cheaper than the nearby HI Express, where we usually stay on road trips). It's also easy to find off the I-80. (My wife wasn't along so we didn't have to stay at a 5 Star property). All in all, it's about what I expected. The room was generally OK. A few small stains on the carpet, the bathroom was clean, the beds were comfortable, numerous TV channels (although no local ones), and the breakfast buffet was the usual deal. Free wi-fi worked well in our room. The 3 story hotel is a bit uninviting from the outside...a rectangle on a parking lot enclosed by the high barred fence. There are restaurants 7 or 8 blocks down the street toward the campus, but walking there at night looked a bit spotty, as the neigborhood is deserted at night. All in all? Not too bad...not too good.

• Stayed: April 2010, travelled on business
1  Thank TravelingTGS
Reviewed 30 March 2010

3rd floor beds are extra narrow doubles. Impossible to get good internet reception. I was only able to get service in the hall on the first floor. Pool was closed. Shower didn't really work, very slow to drain, and hot and cold were reversed. Very thin walls. Funny odor in rooms and halls. Would never stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank skygreen008
Reviewed 8 July 2009

Nice, older motel. We were there on business (construction) with our service truck. No problems with theft, etc., even though you're basically right on the street.
Rooms are as you would expect. Beds were comfortable. The complimentary breakfast in the mornings hit the spot! Waffles, cereals, fruits, bagels and cream cheese, muffins, pastries, sometimes eggs and hash browns, sometimes biscuits and gravy, plus a juice bar, lots of coffee, tea, milk, etc. Staff is middle of the road friendly and helpful.
Price was reasonable ($80+/-/night?) We stayed there off and on for a few weeks. Pool was not open during our stay. Bummer. A/C did not work in most rooms we stayed in. Very loud, no cooling. Bummer 2.

• Stayed: March 2009, travelled on business