“Great hotel in Berkeley”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Portland, Oregon
“Great hotel in Berkeley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 June 2011

We stayed here one night for a concert on Berkeley's campus. This eco-friendly hotel was extremely clean and comfortable. This hotel is in easy walking distance to Telegraph road, campus, and the BART station. The only negative was that there was no designated parking for the hotel, and this was a bit of a challenge. Parking in Berkeley is free after 6pm and on Sundays. Just something to be aware of if you arrive earlier in the day. All in all, for the price and convenience I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed June 2011, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
San Diego, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I stayed here just a night to visit my son and daughter-in-law for the weekend. It is perfectly located in Berkeley. It is close to BART, the University, and an easy walk to Starbucks (and other shops and restaurants...). The hotel is nicely decorated in a slightly funky style that reflects the "culture" and feel of the area. The check-in and out was easy and the staff was helpful and friendly. The prices were reasonable for a very nice hotel. I enjoyed my stay and I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Check on-line and compare all the rates.
Incline Village, Nevada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 June 2011

I was part of a large wedding party staying at your property. Front desk Kevin McHale was courteous, friendly, and engaging, as was his cohort, whose name I didn't get. They were helpful in directions and information regarding the immediate area. My request to be in a quiet corner room away from the elevators toward the end of the hallway was easily accommodated and appreciated. I never heard any street noise, which turned out to be great as there was some kind of midnight parade that many people heard on the main avenue. The servers in dining room were prompt, courteous, and went out of their way to make me happy honoring special requests. The food was fresh, prepared well, and delicious. I'm a tour operator, so I constantly gauge service and quality, and found the experience at the Shattuck Plaza to be exceptional. I regularly use the Hilton Hotel across the United States, and travel regularly to Hawaii, having been to Europe several times, South Pacific, etc.

The only thing I would recommend is some type of shuttle service to/from the Oakland Airport so we don't have to use Bart, which is a stressful experience to those not familiar with public transit. I would easily pay for shuttle service rather than repeat that.

Room Tip: Away from the main street at end of hallway
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled solo
scotland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 June 2011

I stayed 3 nights when attending a meeting at UCB and it was extremely comfortable and contrary to other reviews commenting on the noise, you could hear a pin drop in my room. Granted some rooms overlook the street, but I just asked for one away from the road and it was perfect for me (the light sleeper). The staff were excellent, helpful and polite, and the room spotless and O H my the bed is comfy!! My only gripe is you cant make coffee in the room (c'mon now even cheaper chains give you coffee!). Now there is complimentary coffee *in the lobby* if you are prepared to hoof it down there and it also stops at 6,30am. Hello!? Since I was on UK time this was actually not a problem but for most, well, this is an irritation.

That said I would stay again, as its a great spot and very much has the luxury feel.

Room Tip: Ask for a room AWAY from Shattuck..
  • Stayed June 2011, travelled on business
1 Thank scotbokkie
White Rock, Canada
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 June 2011

I stayed there in April 2011 and found the hotel to be very quaint. Although the rooms seemed smaller than others I've stayed at, I had absolutely zero complaints about it or anything else. Raul in the hotel's restaurant was just fabulous. He has a constant welcoming smile and did all he could to make our meals enjoyable - which they were. And Imelda took excellent care of me and my room. I want to point to those two staff members
who were just OUTSTANDING! Thank you.

• Stayed April 2011, travelled on business
Orange County, CA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

This is the first eco-friendly hotel I stayed in. It was one of the reasons I chose it. The nice thing is that you'd never know it. The shower pressure was great, and the oversized showerhead was a nice touch. The low flow toilet worked just like the standard kind. The bath products were from EO which I really liked. The location is also very convenient because it's right next to the BART station so you can go directly from either airport.

I had the double which was small, but I didn't mind since I'm petite. I think a taller or larger person would have found it way too small and cramped. I was aware ahead of time that the space would be small since all of the buildings in this area are old. I don't think you can expect a whole lot of space in this neighborhood. The only thing was the bathroom sink. It was tiny! About the size of an airplane sink. It was also pedestal style with no counter space. I ended up burning myself with my hair dryer because I had no place to put it while styling my hair. The sink is so small that it's very difficult to keep the water in since the spout hangs way too far over.....almost to the edge. It would have been nice if they had at least installed some small shelves to put toiletries. Other than that, I appreciated the fact that the bathroom was the cleanest hotel bathroom to date, and was modern and stylish. No mold, no stray hairs, no stains.

The bedding was great, super comfortable, and warm. All of the furniture was well kept and seemed pretty new. Again, since the building is old, the walls are thin and you can hear everything that goes on in the hallways. Luckily, there didn't seem to be too many other guests and they were quiet. I think if there were kids running around, it would have been an uncomfortable stay. You can literally hear every word through the walls and door.

The hotel staff over-all was very helpful and friendly. Some of them lacked a bit of professionalism (one hostess at the restaurant was having a personal conversation on the phone while she saw me waiting for her then finally decided to get off the phone, and one of the front staff who seemed to get a little too friendly asked me upon my return to the hotel "who was that guy?" meaning the one I was with earlier .....weirdness!. I think he realized it and when I said "what?" he pretended he didn't ask. Another one warmly greeted me when I walked in the door, but didn't lift a finger when he saw my lugging in my heavy bag up the little stairs before I noticed the ramp. Little things like that matter when it comes to custmer service, but all of the other staff members were excellent.

I regret not trying out the restaurant because it's supposed to be very good. I just didn't have time to try it on this trip since I had dinner plans every night. Overall a good stay and good location.

Pasadena, California
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 30 May 2011

Most of the Shattuck's rooms face Shattuck Avenue, a major boulevard. I've learned to ask for a room facing the Bay--they're generally quieter. My first night (ages ago), I had a sleepless night in a room facing Shattuck--AC Transit buses, trucks and automobiles run along Shattuck all night. I learned to ask for a Bay-facing room that is quieter. Don't stay in a lower floor at all.

It's a _great_ location for convenience to Cal, to downtown Berkeley, and BART (30 seconds walk) but for quieter, the Durant is much better (albeit 10 minutes from BART). Even quieter, the Doubletree at the Marina--it's a remote location, but beautiful views of the Bay, and they offer shuttle service from/to BART and AMTRAK during the day.

I'm sad that the renovation proved to be cosmetic in terms of noise reduction, I'll think carefully about my next visit.

Room Tip: best to stay in rooms facing SF Bay.
1 Thank MBPasadena
MrEuanTaylor, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 30 June 2011
Thank you for your constructive comments.
As a 1910 building we have a varied room configuration. We are working closely to ensure that our service is personalized to guest preferences. In a historic hotel is important for the team to know the room configuration and assign accommodations according to preference, length of stay, and best use of availability.
I hope you choose to stay with us again, so that we may provide you with a great experience.

Euan Taylor