“Business Meeting at Hotel Shattuck Plaza”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My company booked a meeting at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza recently. Never heard of it but enjoyed the stay. Hotel was decorated much differently than most business oriented hotels. Wallpaper and carpet are loud but look good. Meeting rooms were spacious and the food was great.

Was a bit noisy in the meeting rooms as the hotel staff was constantly moving items past the meeting rooms and at times we could hear the staff talking and laughing in the rooms next to our meeting rooms.

The hotel rooms were small but comfortable. Try not to get a room on Shattuck street because it has a lot of street noise. I learned not to get a Phillips flat screen TV because I hate how long it takes for the TV to respond to the remote control commands (I know some of that goes to the hotel entertainment system then back to the TV, but it was abnormally slow and annoying).

Overall a good stay

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled on business
There are newer reviews for Hotel Shattuck Plaza

Reviewed 30 March 2014

This review is based on multiple stays in the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, most recently in March 2014, with comparisons to four hotels and 1 B&B in and around Berkeley. For my needs, the Shattuck was clearly the best of the bunch. Far better than the quaint but aging UC Berkeley faculty club, the dreary Durant, the pleasant but tired Bancroft, or the unpleasant and tired Rose Garden Inn B&B (Rose Garden's great breakfast notwithstanding). Location is more convenient to BART and Berkeley biz than the otherwise excellent Hyatt in Emeryville.

Rooms: This is an older hotel with variation in room features. In my experience, the rooms varied from good to excellent. The standard rooms were large and bright with a comfortable bed, up to date furnishings and recently renovated bathrooms. Some had tubs and some had showers. On my most recent visit, I lucked out with an upgrade to a very nice junior suite. The junior suite (448) was a corner room with couch and two easy chairs and huge bed. Some noise early in the morning from trash collection.
Advice: Do not hesitate to ask for features that you value. Bath tub or shower. High floor or low. Light or dark. Quiet or noisy. Near or far. It is a one block (literally) walk from the elevators to rooms at the southern end of the floors. If you prefer to do your hiking in the Berkeley hills request a room on the Allston Way side.

Staff: From front desk to maids, excellent service. Efficient, courteous and warm. Friendly without adopting the full California "hey I am your best friend for life." Very well trained.

Location: Great location right at the south exit from the Downtown Berkeley BART station. Surrounded by good eating, close to the UC campus . . ..
Advice: If you need transport from SFO to Berkeley, especially during rush hours, take the BART instead of taxi or super shuttle. The BART takes about an hour and costs $9.25 . A colleague went with Super Shuttle during PM rush hour. It took twice as long as the BART and cost much more. BART times are variable and you have to allow time for the shuttle from BART to terminals, so allow 90 minutes for transit.
Advice: For an outstanding selection of local craft beers, skip the hotel bar and head across Shattuck to the Jupiter.

Old Quibbles Corrected: In previous visits, the wifi was slow, desk chair was uncomfortable and desk was too high for comfortable computer use and outlets were too few. Desk was still a bit too high for computer use. Desk chair now fine. Ample number of outlets in base of lamps. The new two tiered wifi system worked well. Even the free service was functional.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank aversetospam
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I don't much like Berkeley and there aren't a whole lot of good hotel options, but I have had to stay there several times, and this is the best of the hotels I've been in. The rooms are nicely designed and comfortable but not large. Everything is clean and well taken care of. I think this is the best place to stay in downtown Berkeley, though the level of competition is not great. It would be nice if it had a better fitness center; there were no stationary bikes.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
1  Thank Buckaroo52
Reviewed 21 March 2014

I loved this hotel from the minute I checked in. I had come off a long flight and the staff saw how tired I was and made sure he got me a higher room on a quitter street. I guess some rooms can be noisy since Berkley is a lively place. The location was perfect. So may shops and restaurants and lively street atmosphere. There was a nearby bookstore that was perfect. An eclectic collection where I found many more items than I had room for. Also a very cool, toy, science, game store almost across the street from the hotel. Great gifts for the children.

Room Tip: High room on quiet street
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 20 March 2014

With a few fixes, Berkeley's Shattuck Plaza Hotel might be a great place to spend the night. It's close to the gorgeous Cal campus and the gourmet's paradise inspired by Chez Panisse. The hotel looks great, bursting with color and unusual decorations while still looking like a great place to rest. But then there's the bad. The staff seemed indifferent at best and brusque at worst, and despite the lovely surface, this hotel missed on the big things. The mattress in our room was unforgivably defective, so used and dented in the center that it felt like sleeping on a hillside (which means, very little sleep took place). Who cares about nice sheets when the bed they cover should be burned! You get a better bed in your average Hampton Inn or Marriott Courtyard. Come on, Shattuck Plaza, pay attention to what is most important.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled with family
2  Thank pickynotsnooty
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 21 March 2014

Dear picknotsnooty,

I regret that you were not satisfied with your stay. It certainly not our intent to inconvenience our guests in anyway. Primarily, I am disappointed by the experience you had with our team. We are typically known for our engaging and attentive team. I welcome additional feedback so I can follow up further. As for the mattress, apologize and will work to replace it if it is not to standard. I can assure you that a lumpy mattress is not our standard.

We value your feedback and do hope that you will give us another try. Please do not hesitate to contact me directly.

Kindest regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, Restaurant & Bar

Reviewed 5 March 2014

Excellent location north of UC Berkeley. An area with lots of great shops and restaurants. I stayed here while my son did a Regent's Interview and overnight at Berkeley. I checked in and then we walked a block onto campus. As a mom over 50 I felt perfectly safe walking alone back to my hotel. The hotel was beautifully decorated and very clean. The staff was extremely courteous. I had dinner alone in the hotel's restaurant, The Five. The wait staff was very attentive and my dinner was very good. The room was small but very clean and very comfortable. Check out and check in was a breeze. I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 March 2014

First, excellent location. Right in down town. Walking distance to excellent restaurants and university campus. The hotel has an attractive bar in the lobby and California style restaurant. The gym is on the second floor. It is small but has sufficient equipment. Initially I was checked into 255. It was a small corner room with a shower and full bed. It was a bit disappointing. When asked for an alternative room with the tub, the front desk was very courteous and offered 305. Great room! With lots of small useful details. Keurig coffee station. Contemporary reading lights on bed. USB port, iPhone charging station. Paraben free biodegradable skin products, make up removal wipes. Comfortable bed with duvet blanket. In overall a very well appointed, nicely decorated, quality room

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business