“Nice hotel centrally located, but...”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles
“Nice hotel centrally located, but...”
Reviewed 17 April 2014 via mobile

I read the other reviews and agree with them. This is a very nice hotel and has some wonderful features. Now for a word of caution about an unusual quirk.

We booked our hotel online through one one of the hotel/airline sights - I think Orbitz. When we got to the hotel front desk a portly younger gentleman in a nice suit checked us in. A quiet and nice guy, however when we got to our two rooms on the fifth floor, we found one to be quite large and the other proportionately smaller, as if our room was built smaller to provide a bigger room next door. The room with two of us in it got the smaller room, the single person got the larger one. We thought about exchanging rooms between us but we had already started unpacking when we saw each others room and it was only for one night.

Now, here was the surprise. Both rooms had double beds; not Queen or King size, but short doubles. We didn't think much about it until bedtime, hours later. Since the two of us in the one room are 6' tall, under the very nice covers, our feet hung out over the end of the bed! And the mattress sagged in the middle. The other person in the other room is about 5'6" and she had problems with the bed being short also!

Now, back to the front desk; you would have thought the check - in person would have seen our size and perhaps suggested a different room arrangement, no? And, giving us two the smaller room to boot?

The next morning when we checked out we mentioned this to the check out person. She asked several questions, then said only 10 rooms in the hotel had double beds and we probably got those because we made our reservation online through a hotel website, which we did. And, we could have upgraded our room if we didn't like it. She said to call the hotel directly next time. So if we get a room cheaper online, does that mean we take a chance when it comes to bed size? Next time we will contact both the hotel and the website for a comparison I guess. Would we stay here again? From reading other reviews, stay away from rooms next to the elevators, rooms facing the main street ( because of noise) and rooms with small beds. Otherwise it seemed like a very nice hotel.

Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank PBL
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 22 April 2014
Dear PBL,

We appreciate your feedback and we are glad that you generally enjoyed your stay. I do apologize for the misinformation regarding your room. We have only two bed types, King or Full size. These are typically indicated in our room descriptions like Superior King room or Business Class one Double Bed room. There are about 17 of these rooms and they are the most economical with regards to rate (about $10-20 less than a Deluxe King Bed room). The room size can vary due to the existing room layout, but in general the are on the smaller size. We do like it when you contact us directly as it helps us to know your preferences better, but as for making the room through on online site versus direct with the hotel, that has no bearing on the size of your room. The only thing is the room type that you reserved.

We look forward to welcoming you back in the future.

Best,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, Restaurant & Bar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Killingworth, CT
Reviewed 14 April 2014

Stayed here for four days for a wedding and was more than satisfied. The location is ideal--in the heart of the city--near countless restaurants, shops, theaters,and across the street from the BART station, a few blocks from the UC Berkeley campus and a few more blocks from the gourmet ghetto. The rooms are small but nicely appointed--ours had a view of the bay, Alcatraz, the San Francisco skyline, and the Golden Gate bridge (ask for a room on the top floor, and also ask for one in the rear if you are a light sleeper so you can avoid the street noise). The staff were friendly and helpful. The exercise room is fairly small but usable--two treadmills, an elliptical and some free weights, and if you need more they can arrange for you to use the nearby Y.All in all a very pleasant stay.

Room Tip: Rooms in the rear are much quieter than those which overlook the street, and if you ask for a room o...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear v0yageur22,

Thank you for sharing about your experience while here for a wedding. I am glad that you were able to enjoy most of what the Bay Area has to offer using us as your home base. We are fortunate to have one of the best YMCA’s across from the hotel and that our guests can experience their great facilities.

We hope to welcome you back again and may all your travels be amazing!

Kindest regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, Restaurant & Bar
Newton, Massachusetts
Reviewed 8 April 2014

Recently had a nice three-night stay at this boutique hotel in Berkeley. The location is very convenient, right on Shattuck, with lots of stores, restaurants, shops nearby. Can get a bit noisy at night, so if you are sensitive to noise, ask for a high floor and/or rear-facing room. Lobby is very nice looking, with a big bar and restaurant (Five - food quite tasty). Rooms felt updated and quite nice. We had a handicap-accessible room, so I'm not sure if the other rooms were similar in layout. Our room did have plenty of space, though. Service was professional and polite. Would be happy to stay here again if in Berkeley.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
California
Reviewed 6 April 2014

Came up here to tour the UC Berkeley campus as our daughter was recently accepted. I wanted to stay in Berkeley to get a better "feel" for the surrounding area and found this hotel by using reviews on Trip Advisor.

It is a wonderful boutique style hotel with history. We utilized the parking garage across the street for parking but know they do not validate the parking. I spent about $40 for the weekend for parking there, which isn't bad, considering I also paid $40 for 4 HOURS of parking in San Francisco at Pier 39. As usual, parking is always at a premium in the San Fran area.

Check-in was wonderful, the girl who checked us in was also a Cal student and spent a good 10 minutes during check-in talking to my daughter and I about the school, etc. We received more information from her than the admissions people over the phone, which was appreciated. They gave us directions and a map as well.

The room was nice, albeit a bit smaller than I expected but it is a nicely renovated historic property, so I expected this. The rooms were beautifully decorated with modern decor, beautiful high ceilings with crown mouldings, etc. Bathroom was situated at far end of room, which was different, with a beautiful "bowl-style" sink situated on top of the counter, a regular shower and toilet as well. I liked the energy conserving nature of the hotel requiring your room key to be in a slot to operate the lights, heating, etc. Beds were extremely comfortable with quality linens. Entire room was lined by tall windows with wonderful sheer curtains and heavier silk drapes that could be pulled. It was just a very elegant type of room, indicative of the hotels past grandness. I personally enjoyed that.

All of the modern amenities you need in a hotel, plenty of outlets, plenty of lighting. I agree with a previous poster who mentioned the desk seems high--it is--not conducive for getting work done over the long haul but I have a feeling most people utilizing this hotel are not there on business.

Be prepared for quite a walk to your hotel, depending on where your room is located. Ours was about as far away from the elevator as you could be but it was okay. Halls are curiously decorated in different wall paper themes at every turn.

Others complained of noise and although on Friday night when we first turned in, there were sirens, loud cars, etc..I wondered if I would be able to even sleep, but after awhile it calmed down and I slept all night just fine without being woken up. I had to be up at 6am, and it was perfectly quiet outside until probably around 7am, so I wasn't woken up by any loud traffic or people noise either. I am a bit particular about sound too, so believe me when I say it was not that bad, at least on the rooms that face Shattuck and I would have actually expected those to be the more noisy rooms. Another poster mentioned they had a room directly next to the elevator and could hear a chain type noise every time it went up and down-- and Yes, I did notice that were was literally a room RIGHT next door to the elevator (door actually seemed to almost touch the elevator doors!) and just standing outside waiting for the elevator, I can hear the sound they were speaking about and I would definitely NOT want that room right next to the elevator shaft/doors.

They have a Keurig machine in the room with 4 different types of coffee and tea. This is wonderful, but my only complaint is they give you this wonderful coffee to enjoy in your room but ruin the experience by including only the basic generic powdered creamer and sugar packets you see at every lower end hotel. They should at least have liquid creamers of some type to use with the Keurigs, it defeats the purpose and wonderful touch of having the keurig in the room in the first place. Alternatively, we went a few doors down to the Starbucks located in the lower level of the building (but outside of the actual hotel) and enjoyed looking at all the old photographs of the Hotel Shattuck Plaza from back in the old days.

A wonderful, historic hotel that we will definitely be using again on our next trip up to Berkeley with our daughter.

Room Tip: Avoid rooms next to elevator. If noise is an issue, request a room on the "quietest" stre...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank Tammy B
Tucson, Arizona
Reviewed 6 April 2014

My company booked a meeting at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza recently. Never heard of it but enjoyed the stay. Hotel was decorated much differently than most business oriented hotels. Wallpaper and carpet are loud but look good. Meeting rooms were spacious and the food was great.

Was a bit noisy in the meeting rooms as the hotel staff was constantly moving items past the meeting rooms and at times we could hear the staff talking and laughing in the rooms next to our meeting rooms.

The hotel rooms were small but comfortable. Try not to get a room on Shattuck street because it has a lot of street noise. I learned not to get a Phillips flat screen TV because I hate how long it takes for the TV to respond to the remote control commands (I know some of that goes to the hotel entertainment system then back to the TV, but it was abnormally slow and annoying).

Overall a good stay

• Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Boston
Reviewed 30 March 2014

This review is based on multiple stays in the Hotel Shattuck Plaza, most recently in March 2014, with comparisons to four hotels and 1 B&B in and around Berkeley. For my needs, the Shattuck was clearly the best of the bunch. Far better than the quaint but aging UC Berkeley faculty club, the dreary Durant, the pleasant but tired Bancroft, or the unpleasant and tired Rose Garden Inn B&B (Rose Garden's great breakfast notwithstanding). Location is more convenient to BART and Berkeley biz than the otherwise excellent Hyatt in Emeryville.

Rooms: This is an older hotel with variation in room features. In my experience, the rooms varied from good to excellent. The standard rooms were large and bright with a comfortable bed, up to date furnishings and recently renovated bathrooms. Some had tubs and some had showers. On my most recent visit, I lucked out with an upgrade to a very nice junior suite. The junior suite (448) was a corner room with couch and two easy chairs and huge bed. Some noise early in the morning from trash collection.
Advice: Do not hesitate to ask for features that you value. Bath tub or shower. High floor or low. Light or dark. Quiet or noisy. Near or far. It is a one block (literally) walk from the elevators to rooms at the southern end of the floors. If you prefer to do your hiking in the Berkeley hills request a room on the Allston Way side.

Staff: From front desk to maids, excellent service. Efficient, courteous and warm. Friendly without adopting the full California "hey I am your best friend for life." Very well trained.

Location: Great location right at the south exit from the Downtown Berkeley BART station. Surrounded by good eating, close to the UC campus . . ..
Advice: If you need transport from SFO to Berkeley, especially during rush hours, take the BART instead of taxi or super shuttle. The BART takes about an hour and costs $9.25 . A colleague went with Super Shuttle during PM rush hour. It took twice as long as the BART and cost much more. BART times are variable and you have to allow time for the shuttle from BART to terminals, so allow 90 minutes for transit.
Advice: For an outstanding selection of local craft beers, skip the hotel bar and head across Shattuck to the Jupiter.

Old Quibbles Corrected: In previous visits, the wifi was slow, desk chair was uncomfortable and desk was too high for comfortable computer use and outlets were too few. Desk was still a bit too high for computer use. Desk chair now fine. Ample number of outlets in base of lamps. The new two tiered wifi system worked well. Even the free service was functional.

Enjoy your stay!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
2 Thank aversetospam
New York City, New York
Reviewed 26 March 2014

I don't much like Berkeley and there aren't a whole lot of good hotel options, but I have had to stay there several times, and this is the best of the hotels I've been in. The rooms are nicely designed and comfortable but not large. Everything is clean and well taken care of. I think this is the best place to stay in downtown Berkeley, though the level of competition is not great. It would be nice if it had a better fitness center; there were no stationary bikes.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business