“Terrific hotel for visits to UC Berkeley”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Culver City, California
“Terrific hotel for visits to UC Berkeley”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 July 2014

My family has stayed at this hotel in downtown Berkeley twice in the past three months, visiting UC Berkeley. It is in a perfect location for that purpose, only a few blocks away from campus and a block from the downtown Berkeley BART station. It is an older property but appears fairly well maintained. Another reviewer described the hotel as funky and I think that is an apt description. It has a bright red chandelier in the lobby, a large peace sign on the floor, wildly colorful carpets in the hallways and whimsical wallpaper. inside the rooms, it has contemporary though not particularly hip furnishings.

The rooms are on the smaller side, but adequate. A coffeemaker is the only real amenity; no fridge, no safe. This time, our room had no bathrobes but my wife recalls robes the first time she stayed here. The bed was comfortable and the climate control worked well and quietly. Free wifi is always a plus. There is a bar adjoining the lobby, that is attached to a restaurant. We did not eat at the hotel so we can't comment on that. There are just too many restaurants of all varieties available within a very short walk in downtown Berkeley not to venture out.

Downtown Berkeley has a real college town atmosphere -- tons of students walking around, every kind of treat imaginable, bookstores, movie theatres, shops, drugstores, etc. Because of the pedestrian traffic, we always felt safe but it can be a little scary if one is not used to the ever-present homeless folks. We were never bothered but one should use common sense and be alert walking around, especially at night.

One hot tip: around the corner from the hotel on Shattuck is John's $1 a Scoop Ice Cream. I thought, how good can it be for only $1 a scoop? But it is actually very tasty and has an amazing range of fun flavors. How can you beat $1 a scoop for Macapuno (coconut sport), avocado, guava and other exotic flavors?

Hotel Shattuck Plaza might be one of the most expensive hotels in downtown Berkeley but the location and vibe are well worth it.

Room Tip: The layout of the hotel can be confusing and some rooms are quite a walk from the elevators. If you...
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (289)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Halethorpe, Maryland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2014

This was our first visit to Berkeley and visiting relatives in this town and in San Francisco. The hotel takes up a city block and the rooms are very nice and clean and rooms fairly quiet from the outside noise. We stayed on the Allston Way side, third floor, overlooking the main door. The staff is very nice and friendly and willing to help when needed. It took us awhile to get used to all the "green" ways of the hotel and once we did we appreciated the effort. You insert your key card in a special wall slot upon entering the room. This allows the light to be turned on as well as the AC. The lights in the bathroom are on a timer system and when you leave the room the lights go out, the air off and you are helping to save energy. Makes you feel good that you are helping.
The hotel is only one block from the Bart train and makes going into San Francisco a breeze. The hotel is surrounded by restaurants/ coffee houses/many book stores and other boutique stores. There is a Walgreen's across the street from the hotel and a Fedex on the other corner, just in case you should need. The University at Berkeley is but a few blocks away and has a great shopping area and a beautiful park to stroll through. This is a very large college community.
The hotel has a restaurant, a very nice bar and tables right inside the lobby where you can sit and relax with a drink/coffee or tea and appetizers.
The beds are extremely comfortable and we had a very pleasant stay. We are looking forward to staying there again next year. If you are bringing the kids, there is no pool, but an exercise room. The hotel is truly convenience coupled with a touch of luxury, very nice.
Hint: If you are booking for more than a few days, and sure you are going to the area the hotel offers a reduction in cost if you prepay your bill. As were staying ten days, this was a considerable saving.
Hint two: First time to Berkeley or San Francisco? Bring sneakers or good walking shoes. Walking is the norm, not the exception. Enjoy!

Room Tip: There may be more noise if overlooking Shattuck Avenue, ask for a side or back room if this is a con...
Green Features: Super use of these practices and the whole area is environmentally conscious.
1 Thank Edith C
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Edith C,

I am so delighted that you had the perfect stay. Thank you for highlighting our location and friendly team. We take pride in our sustainability efforts and are always looking for more ways to provide the same level of service while conserving valuable resources and making it easy for our guest to participate.

Thank you for your suggestion on good walking shoes. I can concur that your suggestion will make any visit to the Bay Area a delight!

Kindest regards,

Greg

Greg Mauldin | General Manager
Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, Restaurant & Bar
Berkeley
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014 via mobile

My fiance, I mean husband! and I decided to skip the honeymoon and stay local. We picked Hotel Shattuck to stay at for our wedding night, and if even half of our married life decisions turn out as well as this one, we're going to have a very long and happy marriage. We got the date night package and were upgraded to an absolutely stunning room. We had all kinds of special requests that were accommodated beautifully, and I can't think of a single negative thing to say. Thank you so much to everyone at Hotel Shattuck for making our big night so memorable!

Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Gorkem_lii
San Diego, California
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 June 2014

This was my second stay, and I still enjoyed the hotel. The front-desk and bar employees are young and really pleasant, the place is very clean, and the location is terrific.

One comment: last time, I had stayed in a room on the Shattuck Avenue side, and I thought it was a bit noisy. So, I asked for a room on the back side of the hotel this time. However, watch what you ask for. My room this time was really small--you would think a solo traveler would be OK in a single room, but this was small to the point of being uncomfortable. On the bright side (no pun intended), it was a corner room, so it had windows on two sides. That, plus a far-away view of the bay made things brighter.

One more comment: the hotel has no parking, so they direct you to a public lot down the street (the Allston Way garage.) That place has a posted daily rate of $17, if I remember correctly. However, the fine print says that the "day" begins and ends at 2 AM. So, I parked at 6 PM, took the car out at 7 AM, and wound up paying $34. That's two "days," I guess. (Translation: rip-off.)

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Jackcatscal
Powell, Ohio
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 June 2014

We recently went to California for college visits and decided to stay at Hotel Shattuck Plaza while at Berkeley. The décor was very nice and the employees were very helpful. I have to agree that the smell was not that good in the hotel but other than that we had a pleasant stay. The staff apparently don't change the water in the mop because I know that smell and that was definitely the issue. Berkeley by far is the best place to stay if you have a car but still want to visit San Francisco. It is a quaint place with lot of restaurants and beautify scenery.

We will definitely stay here again when we visit San Francisco.

Room Tip: park across the street but if you come after 6:00 pm and leave before 9:00 I believe it is a cheaper...
2 Thank Annette M
Minorca, Spain
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 June 2014

Decor is modern and quite nice, room was small but clean and well appointed, but... The lobby smells terrible! Both days I was there, the whole lobby and bar/restaurant had that gross dirty-restaurant bleach smell, bringing back memories of my crappy high school fast-food jobs. They really need to pick a different cleaning product or at least go get a couple Glade plug-ins.

It's probably your best upscale option in Berkeley, so I'll likely stay here again, but for the price, I wish they'd step up their game. There were only 3 flat pillows on the king bed, only two towels in the bathroom, and our remote control was missing from the room when we checked in. Then in the middle of the night, a car alarm went off outside and continued screeching for half an hour - noise is a part of urban life, and I realize that's not their fault, but it didn't contribute to the experience, for sure. The front desk people weren't particularly pleasant, and when I asked for the contact information for the person that does group bookings, it took a good 15 minutes for the girl to track down that person's number. Everything is just very average - not particularly great, though not particularly bad either. I really wanted to love the hotel, but in the end, it's merely "fine." Which, to be honest, is good enough.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Tippin
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 June 2014

This is a beautiful hotel in a great location...right next to the BART station and the campus. The rooms are on the small side, but you kind of expect that from a hotel of this age and central location. The staff were always friendly and efficient to me and the rooms were well maintained. Housekeeping came by extremely late for us, around 5pm every day. That wasn't a huge deal, just unusual. The semi-transparent door on the bathroom was a bit strange. The mattress was what, for my wife and I, made this stay challenging. We are both side sleepers and by the 3rd night we had some major backaches.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled on business