Hotel Shattuck Plaza
US$269
US$189
  • Restaurant
Berkeley Rodeway Inn(Berkeley)(Great Value!)
US$199
  • Restaurant
Marina Inn(Berkeley)
US$114
Travelocity
Downtown Berkeley Inn(Berkeley)(Great Value!)
US$134
1,450 results
All reviewsbart stationpeace signdowntown berkeleyparking garage across the streetstreet noisestreet sidehomeless peoplecounter spaceboutique hotelkey cardtwo blockssan franciscochez panissebathroom doordefinitely stay here againcomfortable roomslocation was perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Like a Kimpton: cool, hip, clean, nice amenities, and a bargain. I have spent less per night here than the dumpy motels and motor inns down on University Ave. Would highly recommend. Very close to the Berkeley subway stop and gourmet gulch on upper Shattuck.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 15 July 2014

Dear craig f,

Thank you for sharing about your experience while a guest at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza. We love feedback and it is great to know when we exceeded expectations. We are also delighted to know that our central location to Berkeley and all the SF Bay area was convenient for you during your visit.

All the best in your travels. We look forward to seeing you again!

Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel was great everything I needed for a quick stay. I would have given it a 5 star if it weren't for the areas around it was very sad. Filled with homeless people begging for food or money, many smoking pot. trash every were. it was a true disappointment for someone who's daughter was considering to apply to the university. So much for that. First impressions are everything. If this hotel were in another city I will definitely stay again, But never in Berkley.

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled on business

Dear Esy 26,

We are glad that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel. However regret that you were disappointed with the condition that you found downtown. I recently returned from travelling to another major city and found similar circumstances, but without some of the unique support systems we have. What I do appreciate about downtown Berkeley is that we are working to find solutions to these common concerns. One of those solutions are the Downtown Berkeley Ambassadors that help with the keeping our downtown clean and provide great information to all who visit.

All the best in your travels. We hope that you will try Berkeley again.

Reviewed 10 July 2014

After our last stay, I decided to book another room for our stay during our daughter's CalSO orientation at Berkeley. Because there were going to be 3 of us in a room this time (my other daughter stayed in the dorms), I decided to book at Shattuck suite. I thought it would be bigger and it was, to a certain degree although the rooms at this hotel, with the exception of the presidential suite, just seem to be on the small side due to the age of the building. That said, I can't really complain, as I know this from the get-go.

Always greeted at the door by the doorman, can't remember his name but he was very friendly. Check-in was easy, we were on our way up to the suite in no time. Upon entrance, I was a little let down, considering the price we paid for the night. ($285/night). The room is bigger in that it has a bigger bathroom than the first room we stayed in and just a king size bed in the bedroom and there is a living room attached with a very cramped couch set up with 2 wicker chairs and a coffee table all placed close together. Not a big deal, except I wish they would perhaps put a fold-out couch/bed instead of the small velour (and VERY worn) couches they have in the room. There is a small second 1/2 bath off the double-entry doors that was helpful getting 3 girls ready in the morning. I was able to get a roll-away bed brought up to the room for an additional charge of $25/night, which put our room rates over $300 a night each night.

Our room once again faced over Shattuck Avenue, I was hoping that perhaps this time since we were getting a suite, we'd get one of the higher up rooms with this elusive "view of the bay" I hear some reviewers rave about, but alas, once again my room overlooked the Shattuck side with about 20 homeless people congregating directly below our room (536). At night they sang, screamed, yelled, played drums (I kid you not!) but it did seem to settle down around 11-12pm. My oldest daughter said it kept her up, but after I fell asleep it didn't wake me up during the night. When I left early in the morning, as I headed out the door and rounded the corner on Shattuck we were greeted by another person sleeping on the ground, sprawled out with his blanket and a sign asking for money so he could..errr..pay for some lady company. (use your imagination as to what it actually said.) The homeless population in Berkeley is to be expected, so this isn't Hotel Shattuck's fault either. But again it boils down to paying over $300 a night for a hotel above homeless people, when I pay the same for a beautiful ocean front room on Maui too. It just feels bad. Sigh... But I digress.

The room had an awful smell when we first arrived. I couldn't place it but my mother in law said it smelled like some type of cleaning agent. I just felt it smelled a bit caustic. I did get used to it and it didn't bother me but at first, it was quite strong. Room was clean, bedding great, but as I mentioned the furniture was looking a bit shoddy, especially for a $300 a night suite. (see pictures) Presentation is what helps you feel good about your purchase, whether it be the food on your plate or the amenities of a hotel room and the stains (slightly crusty and white) on the couch and the arm chair's shoddy and worn armrests could be attended to. We actually turned the cushions over and sat on the backsides...For lack of a better word, it's just "icky."

I was excited to see that there were actually liquid creamers left out by the Keurig machine this time. In my last review, I mentioned it was a great idea to have the Keurig but it was ruined with the cheap run of the mill motel 6 creamer packets and sugar. There were indeed 2 small liquid generic creamers on our arrival! Wonderful! HOWEVER...I used them the first day and they were NEVER AGAIN replenished our entire trip. I was always just left the plastic packet and no more liquid creamers. So I guess for $300/night you get 2 creamers, and the rest of the nights stays you get nothing. Not a deal breaker, but again..it's the little things. I did find it interesting that they did not ever replenish the creamers, which I used...but left duplicates and extras of the shampoos and conditioners in the bathroom each day, even though we never touched the originals ones.

Would I spring for a Shattuck suite again? Certainly not for the price of $300/night. I found our first room, which wasn't a suite, to be nearly as large, but with 2 beds, yes a smaller bathroom but it just felt like I was getting what I paid for versus a suite that seemed a bit disappointing. I booked rooms here a second time because it was "close" to U.C. Berkeley and it is...but when you have to walk up there 3-4 times a day, you realize it's actually 1/2 mile to the dorms from there, and I was walking 3 miles a day in sandals. I found a parking garage directly next to unit 3, where I parked for 5 hours and they charged me $2.50. The parking garage across from Shattuck is much more expensive and the time there starts at 2am. So when you drive in at 8am, that's $17. Then at 2am, it's $17 more dollars, so for one night you're clocked for $34. We spent too much on parking this time for sure.

Overall, the stay was "ok." The doorman was extremely kind. The second day our key cards were "de-activated" and I got stuck trying to figure out why my key wouldn't work the elevator and before I knew it, off it took me up to the 3rd floor. Well my key still wouldn't work and I was stuck on the 3rd floor, so I got off and had to walk up 2 more flights of stairs to get to my room, where...my key didn't work either. Went back downstairs and he remade me two keys, although he wasn't sure why both of our keys had been deactivated. (we weren't checking out that day.)

It is by far one of the nicest choices IN Berkeley, however, you pay dearly for it and I am not sure the experience is really worth the price. I feel bad saying that, but the second time just made it clear I guess.

Room Tip: Ask for higher up rooms, rooms that don't face Shattuck, ask if you can have one of the rooms that has a view of the bay. We've never been lucky enough to snag one.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Tammy B
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear Tammy B,

Thank you for taking the time to share your feedback while a guest at the hotel. It is only through feedback such as yours that we learn what we do well and what we can improve. We are addressing the inconsistency between your stays with our team and look forwarding to welcoming you back.

Best, regards,

Reviewed 8 July 2014

Last week I stayed at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza in Berkeley. I had a five-night stay booked and had prepaid for the reservation. I had booked this hotel after initially booking elsewhere, but I wanted a true Berkeley experience and the ratings on TripAdvisor told me I should try them out.

After a very rough year both personally and professionally, this trip was one to help me relax and decompress from a very stressful life. I was treating myself to a suite at the hotel, in the hope that the extra space promised would give me a place to write.

When I arrived late on a Saturday night, I was directed to my suite, but alas it was on the second floor and directly overlooked Shattuck Ave. I was also greeted by a lovely rendition of "Glory Days" and a guitar played by the young homeless contingent who were settling in for the night right outside my window (that’s another song title right there!). Given that it was after 10pm and I had a long day, I asked the front desk team to get me another room.

They stepped up and did as I asked, although they had no more suites available. I was pretty tired so at that point I just needed a bed. I figured I could work out the rest on Sunday or Monday with the management. But the second room, while quiet, had been missed from the cleaning schedule that day. So, there came room number three in the span of 30 minutes. The staff stepped up again, and finally got me a room that would work.

On Sunday, I wrote a review here about it. Regardless of whether the staff did a great job for me, I just found the whole experience to be a bit much for the price I was paying.

Whether the review was read by the hotel management, I don't know. Regardless, I was pleasantly surprised on the following Monday to receive a phone call from the hotel to tell me they had a suite that would meet my needs and they would be happy to move me.

So, room number four in three days, but I was happy to have a space to write that did not require me to be slumped over on the bed with my laptop. I was greeted in my new room by a personal card from the sales director apologizing for the negative experience, a gorgeous fruit plate, and an offer for a meal in the Five Restaurant located on the first floor of the hotel.

To be fair to the hotel management, I asked for my review to be deleted (since you can’t edit them), and now I give them four stars instead of the original two I gave them.

This is what I am rating: location, security, room quality and cleanliness, size and layout, amenities offered, and customer service = overall value for money.

This is what I call a boutique hotel. To me, that means a hotel that might not have all the traditional amenities of their larger counterparts, but they offer something that sets them apart from others. The rooms are smaller and tend to be modern in style. This hotel meets that description.

Location:
Central and adjacent to an entrance to the BART, right on Shattuck, the hotel has a prime location in Berkeley. That said, it also has a negative factor, but not one the hotel can control. The Bay Area homeless population is very large and quite overwhelming at times. The hotel's central location together with the proximity of the BART means there are many homeless people in the immediate area. Normally, this would not bother me, but I did feel unsafe arriving late at night on the BART and walking the short distance to the hotel front door. This can be unpleasant if you are on your own, so I would recommend a cab ride at night instead. Otherwise, I felt perfectly safe.

Security: The lobby is gorgeous, very 1930s art deco with black and white tiled floors, with two elevators requiring keycard entry to get to guest floors. I found that to be a bit of a smoke and mirrors trick given that tailgating happens easily with guests letting anyone on and off floors, even from the lobby. It also requires the use of a keycard to move between guest floors. Given that the fire stairs immediately next to the elevators are open for people to move between floors, not sure the use of a keycard is that effective.

Room quality and cleanliness: Soundproofing is just ok. Nothing great, but you can hear people in neighboring rooms, although not so much that you feel you could be on a first name basis with them.

Boutique hotel means smaller rooms. The bedrooms are tight, and closets are very small. The amenities in the rooms are good - TV, lots of power points, lights, water bottles, and a Keurig coffee maker. The beds are extremely comfortable, and the cleanliness is satisfactory. Bathrooms are modern and clean.

There is no minibar, nor is there an in-room safe. If you have lots of valuables, consider whether you want to bring them with you. I had to take my laptop everywhere with me, which is tough when you're visiting a beach! Would have been nice to have somewhere to lock away items like you have in larger hotels.

Customer service: overall, very good. Staff were responsive and attentive, and despite my irritation handled me very well. This goes from front desk staff to housekeeping. Everyone was really nice. The responsiveness to fix my negative experience earns them extra points.

Value for money: I was given over $500 in refund on my room rates because of the hassles and the moves. That said, the per night price is similar to other four star hotels. Given that they don't have all the same amenities in rooms as other hotels, this seemed a bit high to me. So, I rate value for money as ok.

Would I stay again? I'm not sure. I was in Berkeley for personal reasons so I doubt I will stay there again only because most of my interests lie across the bay in San Francisco.

I would recommend the hotel, though. I think that with some careful thought to some of the smaller issues they are missing out on (in-room safe, towel hooks by the bath/shower, minibar, telephone listing that is easy to find, etc.), they will go a long way to making the experience that much more memorable.

Room Tip: Ask for higher rooms that don't face Shattuck. These are quieter. Views over Shattuck are the Berkeley Hills but only if you are on a higher floor. Did not see any bay views from the rooms offered.
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Masaru10
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Masaru10,

We appreciate detailed feedback and opportunities to reset expectations. I happened to read your review while on vacation in Paris when I sent it to the team. I am thrilled that you were satisfied with how the team responded to knowing that we missed the mark with your stay.

Additionally, we are adding safes to the rooms and currently have them in the suites. We will be adding more later this year.

While your interest may be across the Bay, I hope that you will try us again in as it is a very short and convenient BART ride and at a more favorable rate. Please give us a call!

Kindest regards,

Reviewed 6 July 2014

From the moment my wife and I entered The Shattuck and saw the inlaid tiled floor with a peace sign, we had the inkling we were in the right place. The check- in was quick and informal, and even though we arrived before noon, we were given our room, not luxurious but comfortable.
The Shattuck is two blocks from town center and four blocks from the UC campus, which makes for ease of sight seeing and window shopping. We looked forward to the a Sunday brunch, which turned out to be problematic. Although we were one of the first ones seated, our meal was delayed for well over 45'. Our waiter seemed to be busy chatting with other waiters and generally ignored us. When I finally spoke to the restaurant manager, he was polite and apologized, stating that they were short in the kitchen that Sunday at mid- day, a situation I thought should have been rectified. When our meals finally arrived about one hour after we had been seated, my wife's hard boiled egg was not cooked thoroughly through. On the very positive side, the restaurant manager came once again, apologized a second time, offered us free mimosas and when we declined these, he said we would not be charged for either meal. In my experience, most restaurant managers are neither that gracious or generous. All in all, I would give The Shattuck an A-.

Room Tip: I gave a mixed mark for service, because if what happened at brunch, bit I am aware that things happen, and I do not wish one cook's not showing up for work to spoil the reputation if an otherwise nice hotel. Our waiter not only deserves a failing grade, but should be fired. This is one of the few waiters I have ever ''stiffed,"
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled as a couple