“Love This Hotel”

GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Love This Hotel”
Reviewed 21 July 2014

I am giving the Hotel Shattuck Plaza five stars because TEN is not an option!

I teared up saying goodbye to the general manager, as I tried to express my heartfelt appreciation for the warmth, responsiveness, friendliness and attention that the staff provided to me and my family during our week in residence. My favorite hotel stay---ever.

We booked more than 30 rooms for an extended wedding weekend and we really put the staff through their paces, especially by starting our visit with a car crash at their front door. The hotel is beautifully kept, and the housekeeping staff brought towels & toiletries, took laundry, tidied up after the bridal party, etc. The front desk staff managed endless requests--changing rooms, calling cabs, providing BART tutorials, advising about activities & attractions, etc. The dining room/bar staff kept up with a constant stream of guests, some landing mid-meal, and many with the same last name but 30 different room numbers. [Let me recommend the entire menu, but especially the bacon & eggs and French fries, my favorite comfort foods.]

HSF is ideal for a wedding party. The lobby, bar and dining room all flow into one another so you can sit anywhere (the lobby has several seating areas) and see friends coming in the door or off the elevator. So, for example, someone could order coffee, and be joined by a couple who wanted breakfast, and wave goodbye to others heading off to sightsee in the city. Personally I enjoyed sitting at the bar where everyone could stop for a drink and make dinner plans.

As the mother-of-the-bride, I was concerned about the comfort and happiness of many people, some of whom had travelled overseas to be with us. The hotel staff made this a delightful task. They actively contributed to the success of the entire weekend. And, the bed was fabulous :-)

• Stayed June 2014, travelled with family
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Donna S,

Thank you so much for your raving review. We were so delighted to be part of your weeklong stay and your Daughter's wedding. You had a chance to experience our team at their best and we thank you for sharing as the team was ecstatic to see how they played such a positive role in your experience.

We hope to welcome you back and wish you all the best in your travels.

Hotel Shattuck Plaza | FIVE, Restaurant & Bar

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Freiburg im Breisgau, Germany
Reviewed 18 July 2014 via mobile

This is a really pice and convenient place to stay in Berkeley. It is directly close to the BART and the Unicersity. I stood there for four days and really enjoyed it. The major disadvantage is that the bar closes at 10:30.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
lerche35,

Thank you for your comments on your four night stay. We appreciate your feedback and are thrilled that you had such a great experience. We hope to welcome you back soon

Philadelphia
Reviewed 17 July 2014

The number one priority of a hotel is to provide the conditions for a good sleep.
Unfortunately, this is not the case with room 212 at Shattuck Plaza. The room shares a wall with the fitness center having 3 treadmills exactly at the other side of the wall behind your pillow. The typical treadmill noise wave made the whole walls vibrate and obviously no sleep was possible after 5:30a. It is so intense that you can pretty much guess how many people are running as well as their approximate weight.

Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank talos2007
Dear talos2007,

We regret that you were disappointed with your stay due to the proximity to the fitness room and apologize for this. We have corrected this by altering the time it opens and are researching other ways to provide both a restful sleep and an available fitness center. We have also noted your profile that you do not want to be in room 212. We also encourage guest to use the YMCA with is complimentary to hotel guests with a pass.

Best, regards,

Dallas TX
Reviewed 17 July 2014

Lovely lobby (love the peace sign at the door) with a hip, trendy vibe and a very cool bar and restaurant off to one side. Rooms were a little small on the small side but nothing unexpected or unmanageable for a family of 4. Very nice, clean, nice amenities (including a Kcup coffee machine, which I always appreciate). Very firm mattress (a little firm for my preference) but otherwise comfy furniture. Excellent service.
The location has a bit more of an urban-gritty feel than you might expect in Berkeley, where the bucolic Cal campus is just a block or two away. While I was a bit taken aback by the proliferation of panhandlers in the area, I never felt threatened. The area is very walkable with plenty of food choices around, and not too far from the "gourmet ghetto."

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
Missgrl,

Thank you for your lovely review of our unique decor, convenient location, and commitment to guest service.

We look forward to your next visit!

los angeles
Reviewed 14 July 2014

Like a Kimpton: cool, hip, clean, nice amenities, and a bargain. I have spent less per night here than the dumpy motels and motor inns down on University Ave. Would highly recommend. Very close to the Berkeley subway stop and gourmet gulch on upper Shattuck.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 15 July 2014
Dear craig f,

Thank you for sharing about your experience while a guest at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza. We love feedback and it is great to know when we exceeded expectations. We are also delighted to know that our central location to Berkeley and all the SF Bay area was convenient for you during your visit.

All the best in your travels. We look forward to seeing you again!

Miami, Florida
Reviewed 12 July 2014

This hotel was great everything I needed for a quick stay. I would have given it a 5 star if it weren't for the areas around it was very sad. Filled with homeless people begging for food or money, many smoking pot. trash every were. it was a true disappointment for someone who's daughter was considering to apply to the university. So much for that. First impressions are everything. If this hotel were in another city I will definitely stay again, But never in Berkley.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled on business
Dear Esy 26,

We are glad that you enjoyed your experience at the hotel. However regret that you were disappointed with the condition that you found downtown. I recently returned from travelling to another major city and found similar circumstances, but without some of the unique support systems we have. What I do appreciate about downtown Berkeley is that we are working to find solutions to these common concerns. One of those solutions are the Downtown Berkeley Ambassadors that help with the keeping our downtown clean and provide great information to all who visit.

All the best in your travels. We hope that you will try Berkeley again.

California
Reviewed 10 July 2014

After our last stay, I decided to book another room for our stay during our daughter's CalSO orientation at Berkeley. Because there were going to be 3 of us in a room this time (my other daughter stayed in the dorms), I decided to book at Shattuck suite. I thought it would be bigger and it was, to a certain degree although the rooms at this hotel, with the exception of the presidential suite, just seem to be on the small side due to the age of the building. That said, I can't really complain, as I know this from the get-go.

Always greeted at the door by the doorman, can't remember his name but he was very friendly. Check-in was easy, we were on our way up to the suite in no time. Upon entrance, I was a little let down, considering the price we paid for the night. ($285/night). The room is bigger in that it has a bigger bathroom than the first room we stayed in and just a king size bed in the bedroom and there is a living room attached with a very cramped couch set up with 2 wicker chairs and a coffee table all placed close together. Not a big deal, except I wish they would perhaps put a fold-out couch/bed instead of the small velour (and VERY worn) couches they have in the room. There is a small second 1/2 bath off the double-entry doors that was helpful getting 3 girls ready in the morning. I was able to get a roll-away bed brought up to the room for an additional charge of $25/night, which put our room rates over $300 a night each night.

Our room once again faced over Shattuck Avenue, I was hoping that perhaps this time since we were getting a suite, we'd get one of the higher up rooms with this elusive "view of the bay" I hear some reviewers rave about, but alas, once again my room overlooked the Shattuck side with about 20 homeless people congregating directly below our room (536). At night they sang, screamed, yelled, played drums (I kid you not!) but it did seem to settle down around 11-12pm. My oldest daughter said it kept her up, but after I fell asleep it didn't wake me up during the night. When I left early in the morning, as I headed out the door and rounded the corner on Shattuck we were greeted by another person sleeping on the ground, sprawled out with his blanket and a sign asking for money so he could..errr..pay for some lady company. (use your imagination as to what it actually said.) The homeless population in Berkeley is to be expected, so this isn't Hotel Shattuck's fault either. But again it boils down to paying over $300 a night for a hotel above homeless people, when I pay the same for a beautiful ocean front room on Maui too. It just feels bad. Sigh... But I digress.

The room had an awful smell when we first arrived. I couldn't place it but my mother in law said it smelled like some type of cleaning agent. I just felt it smelled a bit caustic. I did get used to it and it didn't bother me but at first, it was quite strong. Room was clean, bedding great, but as I mentioned the furniture was looking a bit shoddy, especially for a $300 a night suite. (see pictures) Presentation is what helps you feel good about your purchase, whether it be the food on your plate or the amenities of a hotel room and the stains (slightly crusty and white) on the couch and the arm chair's shoddy and worn armrests could be attended to. We actually turned the cushions over and sat on the backsides...For lack of a better word, it's just "icky."

I was excited to see that there were actually liquid creamers left out by the Keurig machine this time. In my last review, I mentioned it was a great idea to have the Keurig but it was ruined with the cheap run of the mill motel 6 creamer packets and sugar. There were indeed 2 small liquid generic creamers on our arrival! Wonderful! HOWEVER...I used them the first day and they were NEVER AGAIN replenished our entire trip. I was always just left the plastic packet and no more liquid creamers. So I guess for $300/night you get 2 creamers, and the rest of the nights stays you get nothing. Not a deal breaker, but again..it's the little things. I did find it interesting that they did not ever replenish the creamers, which I used...but left duplicates and extras of the shampoos and conditioners in the bathroom each day, even though we never touched the originals ones.

Would I spring for a Shattuck suite again? Certainly not for the price of $300/night. I found our first room, which wasn't a suite, to be nearly as large, but with 2 beds, yes a smaller bathroom but it just felt like I was getting what I paid for versus a suite that seemed a bit disappointing. I booked rooms here a second time because it was "close" to U.C. Berkeley and it is...but when you have to walk up there 3-4 times a day, you realize it's actually 1/2 mile to the dorms from there, and I was walking 3 miles a day in sandals. I found a parking garage directly next to unit 3, where I parked for 5 hours and they charged me $2.50. The parking garage across from Shattuck is much more expensive and the time there starts at 2am. So when you drive in at 8am, that's $17. Then at 2am, it's $17 more dollars, so for one night you're clocked for $34. We spent too much on parking this time for sure.

Overall, the stay was "ok." The doorman was extremely kind. The second day our key cards were "de-activated" and I got stuck trying to figure out why my key wouldn't work the elevator and before I knew it, off it took me up to the 3rd floor. Well my key still wouldn't work and I was stuck on the 3rd floor, so I got off and had to walk up 2 more flights of stairs to get to my room, where...my key didn't work either. Went back downstairs and he remade me two keys, although he wasn't sure why both of our keys had been deactivated. (we weren't checking out that day.)

It is by far one of the nicest choices IN Berkeley, however, you pay dearly for it and I am not sure the experience is really worth the price. I feel bad saying that, but the second time just made it clear I guess.

Room Tip: Ask for higher up rooms, rooms that don't face Shattuck, ask if you can have one of the rooms th...