Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Bancroft Hotel(Berkeley)
  • Breakfast included
  • Restaurant
1,450 results
All reviewsbart stationpeace signdowntown berkeleyparking garage across the streetstreet noisestreet sidehomeless peoplecounter spaceboutique hotelkey cardtwo blockssan franciscochez panissebathroom doordefinitely stay here againcomfortable roomslocation was perfect
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We made a reservation months ago because we were going to a friend's wedding in Berkeley and would spend three nights at the hotel. We received a confirmation that we took with us. Our mistake was not to confirm the room the week before because our reservation did not exist when we arrived. I think that because of the Madrid Real soccer team's staying there, the hotel overbooked. They did find us a room--a handicapped one that was quiet and fine--so that was good. But the internet did not work except once when the hotel receptionist did something to my phone, but after I left and returned to the hotel, it no longer worked. As we needed to connect to others there for the wedding, this was unfortunate. The breakfast we ate was delicious--yes, it's pricey. We had drinks post-wedding in the bar area, and the waiter was friendly and helpful. The excitement over Madrid Real's players was fun. We aren't soccer people so didn''t know whom we were seeing, but the crowd inside and out, made our hearts beat faster. All in all, it's a good enough hotel. The hotel is very near BART, very convenient, but the streets around it are full of homeless folks, very sad but also annoying as they constantly ask one for money.I recommend the Trattoria Corso, a Tuscan restaurant about four blocks away as fabulous, though one needs to make a reservation in advance.

Room Tip: If an international soccer team is staying there, have a room at the back, even one like ours that faced a wall of air-conditioners; otherwise, the noise is pretty fierce!
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with friends
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2014

Dear 218mtk,

I am glad we were able to accommodate you and I will follow up with the team as to your missing reservation. I highly recommend calling to confirm in advance and practice this myself when I travel. I have asked our IT manager to look into why you had internet difficulties as we have a robust system and installed newer access points.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience in FIVE and that you found our location convenient.

Reviewed 29 July 2014

After reading the reviews I was excited to stay at this hotel. Yeah the location is fabulous because it's so close to bart. But I was disappointed with the service. I think one of the nicest things about staying at a hotel is feeling welcomed. That happens with good customer service. Not to say that the hotel staff was rude, but they did not try to be friendly at all. I mean, when we checked in, there was not even a smile or any small talk. A little customer service can go a long way in my opinion. They didn't even ask if it was our first time in Berkeley, or celebrating a special occasion, nothing. The room was small but it was exactly what we needed. The decor was cool. It's just sad because my trip could have been a lot better if the staff just tried a little bit to be friendly (and maybe not on their cell phones while working).

• Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2014

Sarasays2,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at the hotel. I am disappointed that we fell short your expectations. I promise you that your experience is not what we expect of ourselves and we will address this with the team. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay.

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Stayed here with my wife for two days in July. Right at Allston and Shattuck a few blocks from the university and walking distance to great restaurants, bookstores and drenched in Berkely vibe. The room was on the smallish side, but recently redone and very comfortable and quiet. (I requested a quiet room on an upper floor and got one on the quite side of the hotel.) And it had a distant view of the newly painted Bay Brodge. Staff were available, knowledgable and gave great recommendations on everything from where to eat (3 great recs) to where to buy a journal (an independent art supply shop a few blocks away), to where to find a meditation bench (a Tibetan shop just around the corner) and, especially where to park (a very reasonably priced library lot about 150 yards away). BART is around the corner. At about $200 per night with AAA discount, I thought the price very reasonable. Those who complain about the cost should try finding anything close to this quality and price in San Francisco just over the bridge or under the bay via BART. I will definitely be back...

Room Tip: Quiet side, upper floor.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled as a couple

Jeff S,

Thank you for your recent review. We are excited to see that we helped make your stay remarkable. Thank you for posting about a few of the great places to visit in downtown and how knowledgable the team is.

Best,

Reviewed 28 July 2014

Yes, it is close to the BART, but if you come to explore SF, my advise is - stay in SF. Downtown Berkeley is inundated with homeless people, the service at the hotel is half hearted, the breakfast and dinner is too expensive. The hotel promises more than it can deliver, it is hip, fun and flashy and then there is ... nothing. We were so disappointed with our stay here. Arriving at the hotel very late (after midnight) due to delays at the airport we were checked in to a very small and extremely noisy room on the 3rd or 2nd floor (avoid at all costs) which faced onto the very dull backyard. We were given no information at all about the hotel, breakfast, services - nothing. After a very poor night we had an all too expensive breakfast at the hotel while our room was changed. The new room was lovely, bigger and with a view, but now we could not flush the toilet! We stayed in Berkeley as we were invited to a wedding at the Brazilian Room and asked for help to order a cab. I believe the portier called a friend, the cab was small, hot and dirty, not the best drive to a wedding... At least the hotel looked nice and it was clean, but surely you can find a nice and clean hotel for less money?!

Room Tip: Avoid the first three floors at least - the higher the better. Ask for room with a view. The back of the hotel is depressing.
  • Stayed: July 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank Anna N
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 25 July 2014 via mobile

Great location. The hotel had recently been restored and it is a mixture of hip and historic. It's a boutique hotel that has some size to it. We found it comfortable, the staff very helpful. The bathrooms don't have any counter space, as one reviewer mentioned, but there is a HUGE mirror in the room with plenty of space. I found the hotel and room pleasant and relaxing.

Stayed: July 2014

Thank you for your recent post on Trip Advisor. We value feedback, whether in person or online as it helps us know what we are doing well and what we can improve on. We poetically enjoy learning of how friendly and helpful our team is.