“Totally Unacceptable”

GreenLeadersGold level
Washington, District of Columbia, United States
“Totally Unacceptable”
Reviewed 13 August 2014

I was awakened at 6 am by what sounded like cattle running -- nonstop! After being totally baffled,
I realized my room was next to the gym and the sound was someone pounding on the treadmill.
So now I having a pounding headache. When I called guest services to complain, I was told
"Some people are more sensitive than others." Evidently there have been complaints before.
Nobody should be given this room. This is totally unacceptable and unprofessional for
a hotel like this -- and at this expense. I can only assume that they really don't care about their guests.

Stayed August 2014, travelled on business
3 Thank Susan K
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 14 August 2014
Dear Susan K,

Thank you taking the time to tell us about your recent experience. We apologize that your stay did not meet your expectations. I understand from our reservations notes that we did work to resolve the issue that morning and am disappointed that it did not meet your satisfaction. I welcome the opportunity to speak with you further and will attempt to connect with you directly.

Kindest regards,

2086 Allston Way | Berkeley, CA 94704

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Reviewed 7 August 2014

As a refugee from a major chain in Emeryville, the staff welcomed me for my five-night stay at 9:00 AM with a latte, luggage storage, and the assignment of an excellent room. Each evening, the concierge provided thoughtful and accurate dinner recommendations. The hotel bar staff was extremely knowledgeable about the components of their fine cocktails, such that, we will now start making bitters at home. We look forward to staying here when we watch our daughter's home games at Cal for the next four years.

Room Tip: Ask for a view, but you will only enjoy in the absence of fog.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled solo
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 31 August 2014
Dear Joan J,

Thank you for the great review earlier this month. We are excited to know that you'll be coming back frequently to see you a Daughter compete. Go Bears! Next time you are in, be sure to ask our team about our house made shrubs for our cocktails.

Greg Mauldin
Brooklyn, New York
Reviewed 3 August 2014

... It would look like this! The modern decor was a selling feature, as is it's location next to the BART & downtown Berkeley, great service, and a Keurig coffee maker & iPod Dock stereo in the room.

Down sides are all the bums lurking directly outside, parking not included or attached (though pretty close, $15/day), and breakfast being a little pricey for what you get. My bf thought the bed was a bit hard, but I didn't mind.

That being said, I would recommend this hotel as a good, reasonably priced option, particularly close to UC Berkeley. There was a small boutique gym on-site, the hotel was always clean, and staff helpful.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 4 August 2014
Dear citymusiclover,

Thank you for one of the most eye catching titles for a review and we are thrilled that the lobby décor resonated with you. Besides our convenient location to BART and UC Berkeley, we also have passes for guests to use the YMCA across the street, which is a one of the best in California.

We hope to welcome you back soon. Pleasant travels!

Kindest regards,

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 August 2014

We enjoyed a wonderful stay at this hotel. The location was great and the bar bites and breakfast were all delicious. Our stay started off rocky with our flat screen TV not working, but a call in to housekeeping brought a maintenance guy to our room right away. He could not get it to work, so we were given a new room next door - even bigger! The amenities, beds and air conditioning were all great. The staff was courteous and extremely helpful with good parking tips and good directions.

Room Tip: Please request the 4th or 5th floor.
Green Features: We love the hotel's environmentally-friendly practices.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank StephanieWagner2014
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 2 August 2014
Dear StepahnieWagner 2014,

Thank you for your recent post about your experience at our hotel and restaurant, Thank you for mentioning how the team made a positive experience during your stay. I apologize that the TV didn't work in your first room, but glad the team was able to provide you an alternate room, so quickly.

May all your travels be delightful adventures. We hope to see you back soon.

Reviewed 1 August 2014

Enjoyed our stay in this centrally located hotel. The hotel itself has recently been remodelled, and the decor is contemporary and classic......very fun. The location is central and a short walk to the UC Berkely campus. We took the Bart in from the airport, and found the hotel one block away from the train stop. We were on the back side, so the room was very quiet. I noticed that they supplied ear plugs for street side rooms, which would be no surprise given the central downtown location. I highly recommend this hotel, and would suggest taking a happy hour break at the bar for their wonderful tapas and drinks. They nailed it as far as in room climate control, interior finish (especially the bathrooms) and decor are concerned. I only wish they had invested in a slightly better mattress.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank LaFollette
Dear LaFollette,

We are glad that you had a pleasant stay with us and found our décor and location fun and convenient. I regret that you felt the mattress was not up to par, if you want to email me to let me know what room you were in, I’d be happy to have the team check it out. You referenced that you enjoyed our happy hour in barFIVE, we also have live music on Wednesday and Thursdays from 7:30p – 9:30p. Hopefully you can enjoy this during your next stay.

Thank you for recognizing our sustainability efforts. We are continually looking for ways to improve in our environmental stewardship and that you found it easy to participate.

All the best in your future travels and we hope to welcome you back again, soon.

Best,

Boston, Massachusetts
Reviewed 30 July 2014

We made a reservation months ago because we were going to a friend's wedding in Berkeley and would spend three nights at the hotel. We received a confirmation that we took with us. Our mistake was not to confirm the room the week before because our reservation did not exist when we arrived. I think that because of the Madrid Real soccer team's staying there, the hotel overbooked. They did find us a room--a handicapped one that was quiet and fine--so that was good. But the internet did not work except once when the hotel receptionist did something to my phone, but after I left and returned to the hotel, it no longer worked. As we needed to connect to others there for the wedding, this was unfortunate. The breakfast we ate was delicious--yes, it's pricey. We had drinks post-wedding in the bar area, and the waiter was friendly and helpful. The excitement over Madrid Real's players was fun. We aren't soccer people so didn''t know whom we were seeing, but the crowd inside and out, made our hearts beat faster. All in all, it's a good enough hotel. The hotel is very near BART, very convenient, but the streets around it are full of homeless folks, very sad but also annoying as they constantly ask one for money.I recommend the Trattoria Corso, a Tuscan restaurant about four blocks away as fabulous, though one needs to make a reservation in advance.

Room Tip: If an international soccer team is staying there, have a room at the back, even one like ours that f...
Green Features: Hotel uses standard practices--towels on floor get washed; others don't.
  • Stayed July 2014, travelled with friends
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 31 July 2014
Dear 218mtk,

I am glad we were able to accommodate you and I will follow up with the team as to your missing reservation. I highly recommend calling to confirm in advance and practice this myself when I travel. I have asked our IT manager to look into why you had internet difficulties as we have a robust system and installed newer access points.

I'm glad you enjoyed your experience in FIVE and that you found our location convenient.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 29 July 2014

After reading the reviews I was excited to stay at this hotel. Yeah the location is fabulous because it's so close to bart. But I was disappointed with the service. I think one of the nicest things about staying at a hotel is feeling welcomed. That happens with good customer service. Not to say that the hotel staff was rude, but they did not try to be friendly at all. I mean, when we checked in, there was not even a smile or any small talk. A little customer service can go a long way in my opinion. They didn't even ask if it was our first time in Berkeley, or celebrating a special occasion, nothing. The room was small but it was exactly what we needed. The decor was cool. It's just sad because my trip could have been a lot better if the staff just tried a little bit to be friendly (and maybe not on their cell phones while working).

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
Greg M, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 1 August 2014
Sarasays2,

Thank you for taking the time to share about your experience at the hotel. I am disappointed that we fell short your expectations. I promise you that your experience is not what we expect of ourselves and we will address this with the team. Please do not hesitate to contact me prior to your next stay.