“Great re-hab of classic hotel”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My wife & I stayed on July 16th & thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The ownership has done a great job at renovating a Berkeley institution. Deferential service, fun decor & spotlessly clean rooms...all at a reasonable rate.
Only critique: Why are the lites so bright in the lobby, bar & restaurant at nite? We felt like we were about to be interrogated. Lower lighting would have softened the ambience of the black & white lobby.

Skip from Corrales, NM

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 13 July 2009

We are frequent visitors to the Bay area and found this hotel experience the best by far. The ambiance, room accommodations, service and food at this newly renovated historic hotel were all exceptional. Our suite was spotless, quiet and extremely comfortable with a lovely Bay view. The location was very convenient with Bart right across the street. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant (Five) with two other couples. We sampled two delicious appetizers, surf and turf eggs and mac and cheese. The lamb and fish entrees were beautifully presented and all were exceptional selections. Desserts were also yummy. An added bonus was the extremely reasonable menu prices. Our breakfast experience was also a treat. The staff was helpful and friendly throughout our stay. We intend to return to Berkeley in the fall and will be sure to stay at Hotel Shattuck Plaza.

• Stayed: July 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 July 2009

My husband and I went to Cal and lived in Berkeley for years. We live in the South Bay now but like to go stay up there for a couple days for our anniversary every year. We like to eat at Chez Panisse so it's nice to have a hotel nearby. We'd heard the Shattuck Plaza had just reopened so we thought we'd give it a shot. It didn't have a very good reputation before but we figured maybe it had improved and you really can't beat the location.

The rooms were lovely and well appointed. Not very large but the price was quite reasonable so I thought it was good value for the money. The bed and linens were very comfortable. The hotel staff was helpful and professional. The restaurant wasn't open yet so I can't report on that.

The only downside was the lack of parking on site. It's an older building in downtown so that's not really a surprise. There's a pay parking lot right across the street, though. The price was reasonable and you can leave your car overnight. I didn't find it to be a big deal.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 1 July 2009

The hotel was recently rennovated. It is modern, chic, simple and nice. Had a king room, not the largest, but fine. Fantastic staff.

AND, they served the best eggs benedict I have ever had! Really, it was that good.
I'd go out of my way to have it again.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 29 June 2009

The staff were most attentive to my every need. A requested room change was accomplished graciously, promptly and efficiently. Because the hotel had only recently opened room service was not fully available. However it only took a minute or two for a morning coffee request to be delivered to my door with a smile. My room was quiet, the bed very comfortable. The hotel location is convenient for the BART station, taxis are available close by and there is a parking garage across the street. The towels were large and fluffy and there was also a nice terry robe. I wish my stay had been longer so I could have tried some of the new restaurant's dishes - which from the menu looked delicious. It was very pleasant accommodation for the four nights I was there. I loved the decor.

• Stayed: April 2009, travelled solo
Reviewed 24 June 2009

they are 80% complete with a nice rehab of the rooms and common areas. very nice staff. funky decor and colors. restaurant and bar still under construction.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family
Reviewed 8 June 2009

We were the 2nd customer to check in. Lots of happy staff, ready to help with anything you need.
The room was beautiful. Everything is new and clean. The bathrobes were wonderful. We received a free upgrade(on top of the preview rate special) since only the 5th floor rooms were complete.
Parking is on your own, but the garage is right across the street. The Bart is right there.
Easy walking to a multitude of fabulous dining establishments.

• Stayed: June 2009, travelled with family