“Fabulous & Excellent Service”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
San Jose, California
“Fabulous & Excellent Service”
Reviewed 10 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at this beautifully renovated hotel (only been opened for 3 months) the Saturday of Labor Day weekend in conjunction with a Cal football game. We would definitely stay here again and I highly recommend this hotel. The staff all went above and beyond. From the very start (booking over the phone) I was told of a Fall special ($139) which included a great room and breakfast for 2. I called the day we were to arrive to inquire about parking and the front desk clerk took the time to run across the street to the parking garage to confirm the price ($10 for 24 hours) and called me back within 5 minutes. Check in was a breeze and although we didn't like the first room (noisy on the Shattuck Ave. side of the hotel), we were quickly accomodated with a change to a fairly spacious, interior room. The room was clean and very unique. Trendy but not weird/over the top. Great bed, very nice linens, flat screen TV (although slow on channel changes), nice toiletries, vessel sink and great shower head. At 11:15 p.m.I realized I forgot my contact lens solution, went to the front desk to ask about all night stores and the clerk let me borrow his. Now that's service! Breakfast the next morning was delicious, very fresh, plentiful and there were no menu restrictions. The decor of the hotel is funky and tastefully done. When in Berkeley, stay at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza. Great location too.

• Stayed September 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank travelingagain

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Port Townsend, WA USA
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Comfy beds, linens and bathrobes. Updated decor, outrageous bar/restaurant, sincere staff, convenient location - BART, University, Library, Buses. Only complaints - no coffee in the room, TV reception could be better (news/sports hound).
Will always stay at Hotel Shattuck when in Berkeley.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Lincoln, NE
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The hotel has been gorgeously remodeled. The entire hotel, from the lobby to my room, was spotlessly clean. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever experienced, beautiful vessel bowl & modern fixtures in the bathroom, LCD TV mounted on the wall, and the staff were all very friendly & helpful. My only complaint: a fair amount of street noise in my room, even with the windows closed, but this is not the hotel's fault, nor the staff's.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled on business
Corrales, NM
Reviewed 22 July 2009

My wife & I stayed on July 16th & thoroughly enjoyed ourselves. The ownership has done a great job at renovating a Berkeley institution. Deferential service, fun decor & spotlessly clean rooms...all at a reasonable rate.
Only critique: Why are the lites so bright in the lobby, bar & restaurant at nite? We felt like we were about to be interrogated. Lower lighting would have softened the ambience of the black & white lobby.

Skip from Corrales, NM

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
Saint Louis
Reviewed 13 July 2009

We are frequent visitors to the Bay area and found this hotel experience the best by far. The ambiance, room accommodations, service and food at this newly renovated historic hotel were all exceptional. Our suite was spotless, quiet and extremely comfortable with a lovely Bay view. The location was very convenient with Bart right across the street. We had dinner at the hotel restaurant (Five) with two other couples. We sampled two delicious appetizers, surf and turf eggs and mac and cheese. The lamb and fish entrees were beautifully presented and all were exceptional selections. Desserts were also yummy. An added bonus was the extremely reasonable menu prices. Our breakfast experience was also a treat. The staff was helpful and friendly throughout our stay. We intend to return to Berkeley in the fall and will be sure to stay at Hotel Shattuck Plaza.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
San Jose
Reviewed 5 July 2009

My husband and I went to Cal and lived in Berkeley for years. We live in the South Bay now but like to go stay up there for a couple days for our anniversary every year. We like to eat at Chez Panisse so it's nice to have a hotel nearby. We'd heard the Shattuck Plaza had just reopened so we thought we'd give it a shot. It didn't have a very good reputation before but we figured maybe it had improved and you really can't beat the location.

The rooms were lovely and well appointed. Not very large but the price was quite reasonable so I thought it was good value for the money. The bed and linens were very comfortable. The hotel staff was helpful and professional. The restaurant wasn't open yet so I can't report on that.

The only downside was the lack of parking on site. It's an older building in downtown so that's not really a surprise. There's a pay parking lot right across the street, though. The price was reasonable and you can leave your car overnight. I didn't find it to be a big deal.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
Memphis, TN
Reviewed 1 July 2009

The hotel was recently rennovated. It is modern, chic, simple and nice. Had a king room, not the largest, but fine. Fantastic staff.

AND, they served the best eggs benedict I have ever had! Really, it was that good.
I'd go out of my way to have it again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled on business