“Friendly, Helpful, Comfortable & Convenient”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 20 October 2009

My sister & I stayed here on a weekend trip to Berkeley to see "American Idiot: the Musical" at the Berkeley Rep. Having read mixed reviews of the hotel, I was skeptical. We were both unfamilier with Berkeley & the Bay Area in general. The hotel is located a stone's throw from the downtown BART station - and just a few blocks from the theatre. It's centrally located amidst several options for entertainment: movies, music, lunch, dinner, drinks, dancing, shopping, etc. This was why we chose to stay here.
Upon arrival, the well dressed & incredibly charming doormen set the tone for our stay. The hotel clerks were extremly friendly, helpful & attentive. Our room was facing Shattuck Avenue, so I was worried about the noise, which turned out to be minimal & didn't bother me at all once I felt the comfortable sheets & drifted away into a great night's sleep on the even more comfortable bed. The bathroom was clean & modern, as was the room. We were both very impressed & felt safe in the hotel & in the area. Our check out was just as easy & friendly as our check in. We did not eat at the restaurant, but it was always busy & seemed very popular. I did think that the menu was rather pricey, but quickly learned that it was somewhat on par with the other restaurants in the area. We were able to walk everywhere. I highly recommend this hotel to anyone coming to see a show at the Rep (American Idiot was SO good that we saw it twice, by the way) or visiting the University, which is just a quick jaunt up the hill. If I am ever back in Berkeley, I will definitely stay here again.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled with friends

Reviewed 19 October 2009

My husband and I stayed at this hotel last weekend for a relaxing weekend away. Everyone was very nice and always asked if we needed anything. We took advantage of the bed and breakfast plan which was a great deal! For an extra $15 a night we got a $50 value breakfast! The food was very good. I had the all american breakfast and my husband had the smoked salmon. Everything was very good. We should have tried the restaurant in the evening but we already had reservations at Yoshi's in Oakland. The rooms were great. However, it was a little small. Our room was an interior room, so the view was of the roof top of the building that the hotel is on top of. We never heard any noise from outside or inside, very quiet!

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 13 October 2009

Step off the BART and you're there. UC campus is within a mile. We arrived before noon and were given a room- which was a wondrous convenience. The decor is elegant but fun. The bed was super comfortable and our room was extremely quiet. You can leave the A/C on and it regulates itself without clicking on and off all night, just hums quietly. Anything we requested was sent promptly. Very close to a terrific breakfast spot (Venus). I would deifinitely stay here again; it's my favorite of the 3 places I've stayed in Berkeley.

• Stayed: October 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 9 October 2009

We decided to have a quick getaway close to home and stayed here. Close to scores of restaurants, the theater district and several music venues, the location can't be beat. There was a special offer the night we booked which included a great Grand Opening party--apparently there have been several (hey,why not?). The rooms are very nice and comfortable, very modern yet warm. The hallways are a crazy mix of colors and pattern that somehow works.There are several types of rooms available including suites with SF views. The staff was great. I don't think you can go wrong with this one.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 September 2009

My husband and I stayed at this beautifully renovated hotel (only been opened for 3 months) the Saturday of Labor Day weekend in conjunction with a Cal football game. We would definitely stay here again and I highly recommend this hotel. The staff all went above and beyond. From the very start (booking over the phone) I was told of a Fall special ($139) which included a great room and breakfast for 2. I called the day we were to arrive to inquire about parking and the front desk clerk took the time to run across the street to the parking garage to confirm the price ($10 for 24 hours) and called me back within 5 minutes. Check in was a breeze and although we didn't like the first room (noisy on the Shattuck Ave. side of the hotel), we were quickly accomodated with a change to a fairly spacious, interior room. The room was clean and very unique. Trendy but not weird/over the top. Great bed, very nice linens, flat screen TV (although slow on channel changes), nice toiletries, vessel sink and great shower head. At 11:15 p.m.I realized I forgot my contact lens solution, went to the front desk to ask about all night stores and the clerk let me borrow his. Now that's service! Breakfast the next morning was delicious, very fresh, plentiful and there were no menu restrictions. The decor of the hotel is funky and tastefully done. When in Berkeley, stay at the Hotel Shattuck Plaza. Great location too.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
1  Thank travelingagain
Reviewed 12 August 2009

Comfy beds, linens and bathrobes. Updated decor, outrageous bar/restaurant, sincere staff, convenient location - BART, University, Library, Buses. Only complaints - no coffee in the room, TV reception could be better (news/sports hound).
Will always stay at Hotel Shattuck when in Berkeley.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 August 2009

The hotel has been gorgeously remodeled. The entire hotel, from the lobby to my room, was spotlessly clean. The bed was the most comfortable hotel bed I've ever experienced, beautiful vessel bowl & modern fixtures in the bathroom, LCD TV mounted on the wall, and the staff were all very friendly & helpful. My only complaint: a fair amount of street noise in my room, even with the windows closed, but this is not the hotel's fault, nor the staff's.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business