“There just isn't a great hotel in Berkeley.”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Los Angeles, California
“There just isn't a great hotel in Berkeley.”
Reviewed 2 September 2010

The Shattuck is probably the best hotel in Berkeley, but that isn't saying much. For 10% more you can probably stay at a great hotel in San Francisco and just hop on BART if you need to be in Berkeley.
One issue we had was the people across the hall were having a party that was just starting at 11:30 at night. The door was propped open with 3 bottles of wine. We had to move rooms at midnight because of the noise. It just soured me on the whole experience.
The staff was polite and the restaurant was fine.
If I had to stay in Berkeley again I don't know if I would return or would try a different hotel, even if I expected less from it.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
HotelShattuckPlaza, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 9 September 2010
Thank you for your recognition of our commitment to provide a high standard of service, and comfort to our guests. Our location, adjacent to Bart, provides great accessability to San Francisco. Our engaged staff strives to provide friendly and genuine hospitality. I am sorry that you experenced some noise disturbance from other guests in the hotel. We do try to keep 'hotel quiet hours' between 10pm and 10am - I apologize we did not deliver on this occasion.

Euan Taylor

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Miami Beach, Florida
Reviewed 31 August 2010

We loved our stay: the hotel is slick, modern, clean and very updated. Rooms reminded me of being in European hotels, they were on the small side but not European small. Furnishings were modern, very nice lines, soothing color palette.... we were traveling with our 15 year old son. The bathroom door opened right into the main area of the hotel room and, despite the privacy treated glass, shadows of the person using the facilities were still visible. Sort of strange and not ideal with a family with older kids.....or really shy adults. Also not ideal at night when the light would shine into the room.
Parking was sort of a pain with the garage being located across the street, and it was not the hotels garage but a private company. And it closed after hours and didn't open till the next morning, not an issue for us but could be for other guests.
The hotel had a great location, we were able to just walk out of the hotel and catch BART (which we took to get into the city)----or just walk out of the hotel and into numerous restuarants and shops-- both were great since we just left the car in the garage! Seemed like a safe part of town, my son and I went on several walks just exploring the area and never felt overly concerned for our safety.
We enjoyed our visit to SF and glad we stayed in Berkley at the Shattuck.

• Stayed July 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank friendofmyheart
artbcpa
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel because of its location and can truthfully say that is practically the only positive thing I can say about it. The last time I stayed in a room this small was in a cruise ship back in the 70's. The walls are paper thin and my son and I could hear everything in the room next door. That was particularly bad as one night the people had their television on until 2:00 AM in the morning. I want to say that management did try to do something about it, but these travelers were incredibly inconsiderate. The drawer space is practically nonexistent and the shower curtains don't keep the water from spilling all over the bathroom floor. If you are attracted to this hotel because of its proximity to the UC Berkeley campus as I was in a visit to see my daughter, the price you pay is way too high. There are much better choices a little further away.

• Stayed August 2010
Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to read you were so disappointed with your room size and that we were not able to make arrangements to meet expectations during your stay.

Our historic hotel does have both small and large rooms. The larger rooms, typically can be found in the Cityscape room type, and some have bay views toward the Golden Gate bridge.

Seoul, South Korea
Reviewed 26 August 2010

Very good hotel in a great location. BART station is just across a small street (less than a minute away) with a lot of good restaurants nearby within walking distance. Didn't have a car so don't know what parking is like, but based on what was posted in the hotel seemed like it could be a pain during holidays. Very clean and good staff. The hotel front desk is not very conventional with just a couple of small podiums. Small but efficient. I think it's to compensate for the small lobby.

Now to rooms. Very clean and comfortable. Not a big room, but big enough (1 got a standard room with 1 King bed). Bathroom was also small but clean. Water pressure, the hallmark (in my opinion) of a good hotel, was a bit disappointing. The biggest gripe I had was with the street noise from Shattuck Ave. It's a busy street, and there was a lot of noise (musice) from the street even after dark. If you want a good night sleep, you might want to opt for a room on the quieter side. In addition to the street noise, the walls seemed quite thin and you could hear a lot of noise from adjacent rooms. They could have done a better job to insulate the noise.

The fitness room seemed like a bit of a joke. It's basically the size of a very small room with 3 running machines and some weights. Maybe the weather is so nice that everyone prefers to run outside, but the fitness room seemed very minimal.

Oh, and the internet is free (though slow), which is always a plus.

Overall, I give it an A-

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
San diego
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We reserved a suite and asked for an extra bed in our room in advance. When we arrived, they had no extra beds. We asked for extra bedding to use on the couch in the suite and were informed none available. I bribed a house maid a $20 and some showed up immediately.

Although the rooms have been modernized, the place has a mildewy smell throughout and is not insulated. You will here every door close in the vincinity throughout your stay.

The prices for the food is very over priced and just skip the Sunday Brunch all together. $32 is cheap for a brunch, but it is very limited.

The service staff tries to be helpful but is limited in what they can do. I asked for a Taxi and they were unable to call one. The gym is very small and dirty. I called twice to have someone clean and they never showed up.

I will find some where else to stay on my next visit

• Stayed August 2010, travelled with family
HSP2009, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this review, 31 August 2010
Thank you for your feedback on our hotel, I am sorry we did not meet your expectation, and hope with some explanation you may decide to try staying with us again:

Over busy Parent UC Weekends we will be ensuring we provide additional extra bed availability to meet more consistently our valued guest expectations.

We do have limited availability of extra beds and provide those beds we have on a request basis rather than guaranteed. We do recommend as a historic hotel, with individual room sizes, reserving a connecting room as our best option.

I am sorry that you and your family were inconvenienced and please be assured we are addressing this concern for a more positive future outcome.

We were surprised and disappointed regarding the mildew smell you encountered. With new carpets, linens and bedding, that are maintain to excellent standards, I am concerned to read of your experience and will research and address to complete satisfaction.

The Berkeley City has now modified our entrance to be a 'green parking zone' which provides easier pick up and drop off access for guests and taxis. This is in addition to the cab stand that is one block from the hotel.

The weekend you stayed was exceptionally busy, and although not a valid excuse, we hope you try us again so that we can turn your experience to a more positive one.

San Mateo, California
Reviewed 13 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel 2 nights during a conference. I stayed in two different rooms because I did not stay contiguous nights.

The check-in was quick and efficient. I arrived on a Sunday evening and they offered a coupon for a free glass of house wine and there was a prix fixe dinner menu in the restaurant. Alas, by the time I got to the restaurant they were no longer serving dinner. I enjoyed the wine at the bar, and had a snack of salad and chicken & waffles there. Both were quite good and well-priced.

The rooms were both on the small side but well-designed and did not feel cramped for a single person. (I presume they would give you a somewhat larger room if you had two people because the room would have been small for a couple.) The toiletries were EO, nice stuff. All fixtures in the room functioned properly and the rooms were very clean.

The fitness center is small but it was adequate. There is a rack of dumbbells, 2 treadmills, and an elliptical. They have towels and water glasses, and a water cooler.

I had several meals at the hotel as part of the conference, and all were excellent. If the conference meals are any indicator of the quality of the restaurant, I would expect the restaurant is fabulous. I plan to try it next time I'm in the area.

I would definitely stay here again.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled on business
Carmichael, California
Reviewed 9 August 2010

We made reservations to stay here for one night this weekend . Having read the other reviews we had high expectations that this would be a great experience. We were disappointed! Even though this was a boutique hotel and had undergone many upgrades we found quite a few misses. The rooms although tiny were very clean and efficient since they advertise themselves as "eco conscious." Beds were very comfortable and bathroom was spotless. Directions are a little confusing and we couldn't find the "Fitness Room".
After our concert, we came in late Saturday evening and the bar was 3 people deep and very noisy! I wanted a cup of tea and asked at the main desk where I could get one.
The answer was a laugh and "try the "bar." This looked like a daunting task and I didn't want to chance it.
I'll back up to our first indication that things might not be what we hoped.
What struck us as we were registering was the description of morning coffee availability. Gina told us to get downstairs early for our coffee or it would be too late as everything would be gone by 8am. A little strange we thought..even more so when we checked the In Room Dining Menu that stated Grab and Go coffee and pastries are supposed to be available 7am-10am. When my husband went down to get our coffee and pastries he was met with a curious look. "Pastries? or we don't have those!" Need to take it off the In Room Dining Menu then.
I called down to the recommended Five restaurant and asked what was on the menu for breakfast. I was told selections were seasonal and varied. I asked about the crab omelette which I had seen on the on-line menu. Again I was told "Oh that is seasonal. We don't have that today ..only Mon-Fri. I guess crab isn't in season on the weekends at this hotel. There were 2 wedding parties here this weekend and I was beginning to think maybe they had run out of food. I also felt that we were just booked to take up the few remaining rooms. When we made reservations several months ago I asked for the Romance Package but was told it was not available this weekend. Perhaps because of the wedding parties?
Staff were pleasant but all in all felt like 2nd class citizens at this place and won't likely return.

• Stayed August 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review, we appreciate your positive comments, as well as your feedback. We are grateful for your acknowledgment on the cleanliness of our rooms and the many upgrades of our renovation.

I am sorry that when you returned from the concert we did not directly accommodate your request for tea and in place redirected you to the bar. Our standard is that requests are handled first time by the person you communicate with, and are not passed on to another department. I have followed through and re-itereated this valued service step with our team.

Our complimentary morning coffee service is in the lobby from 6am to 8am. Yes we did have a 'grab and go' breakfast set out at this time previously, which has now been replaced with FIVE's restaurant breakfast, featuring a 'grab and go box' for those guests in a hurry, as well as serving full American Breakfasts, that are also provided on our updated In Room Dining Menu.