“Great Hotel”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Reviewed 2 September 2010

Stayed here for five nights with my 21 year old daughter . Very comfortable rooms and good bathroom. Friendly staff and good service. Doorman was helpful in giving directions and getting taxis. The food is good quality and well presented. Perhaps a bit pricey but you get what you pay for. If you want freshly prepared quality ingredients in interesting menus then this works fine. Having tried cheaper ones nearby I went back to the hotel dining room.
It is so near to the BART which was a real benefit in coming from airport as no taxi needed. It's a 50 yd walk. Only issue I had was with the large numbers of homeless people around the area. Very sad to see.

Reviewed 2 September 2010

I stayed from Aug 26th to Aug 28th. Everything from reservations to check out was superb.

Bethany, who booked my reservation was very professional and gave me wonderful options on room types. She was very courtesy and quick when I asked her to email me a confirmation. She gave me a great impression of the hotel even before I arrived.

At check in, I was early and Oz graciously checked me into a lovely room; I was relieved after a long flight. It was quick and efficient and I got all the information I needed. Oz was very knowledgeable and represented your hotel in a courteous and professional manner. The whole layout of the reception area was elegant and tasteful and was organized very well; I loved the podium-like check in/out counter instead of the usual long, grand counters at larger hotels.

I loved my room 255, it was away from the street and very quiet. It was right on the corner and had a great layout. Loved the renovations done to this hotel. Amazing decor with the framed pictures of the surrounding area. The color was not over the top at all and offered a very chic contemporary style. I loved the high ceilings and loved that the hotel kept its historic feel. The bed was top quality and I slept like a baby, very clean kudos to an excellent housekeeping staff. The halls were always clear of and upkeep was top notch. I also did not hear housekeeping slam doors or pushing their carts around which was a good change from other hotels. The stand in shower was excellent, loved the bathroom out of most other hotels. It was gorgeous and looked luxurious. I especially appreciated that the shower did not leak like most shower doors.

I ordered room service twice, once for lunch and breakfast on morning of my departure. Both front desk agents who took my order were very attentive and anticipated all my needs. The food was delivered in a timely manner, very fresh and hot. I loved the Five burger with blue cheese-cheers to your chef. The All American Breakfast was delicious and a great way to end my trip at your hotel.

Check out was quick and easy, I don't remember her name but the young lady was excellent and asked me how my stay was. She was very detailed and verified everything with me before charging my card.

Overall, this is a great place to stay and offers the convenience of the BART and also UC Berkeley. The hotel amenities are great and you can relax after a hard day at work. I love this hotel for both business and leisure.

I will recommend this hotel to all my business associates and also friends and family.

Thank you Hotel Shattuck Team!!!!

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 September 2010

The Shattuck is probably the best hotel in Berkeley, but that isn't saying much. For 10% more you can probably stay at a great hotel in San Francisco and just hop on BART if you need to be in Berkeley.
One issue we had was the people across the hall were having a party that was just starting at 11:30 at night. The door was propped open with 3 bottles of wine. We had to move rooms at midnight because of the noise. It just soured me on the whole experience.
The staff was polite and the restaurant was fine.
If I had to stay in Berkeley again I don't know if I would return or would try a different hotel, even if I expected less from it.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
HotelShattuckPlaza, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 9 September 2010

Thank you for your recognition of our commitment to provide a high standard of service, and comfort to our guests. Our location, adjacent to Bart, provides great accessability to San Francisco. Our engaged staff strives to provide friendly and genuine hospitality. I am sorry that you experenced some noise disturbance from other guests in the hotel. We do try to keep 'hotel quiet hours' between 10pm and 10am - I apologize we did not deliver on this occasion.

Reviewed 31 August 2010

We loved our stay: the hotel is slick, modern, clean and very updated. Rooms reminded me of being in European hotels, they were on the small side but not European small. Furnishings were modern, very nice lines, soothing color palette.... we were traveling with our 15 year old son. The bathroom door opened right into the main area of the hotel room and, despite the privacy treated glass, shadows of the person using the facilities were still visible. Sort of strange and not ideal with a family with older kids.....or really shy adults. Also not ideal at night when the light would shine into the room.
Parking was sort of a pain with the garage being located across the street, and it was not the hotels garage but a private company. And it closed after hours and didn't open till the next morning, not an issue for us but could be for other guests.
The hotel had a great location, we were able to just walk out of the hotel and catch BART (which we took to get into the city)----or just walk out of the hotel and into numerous restuarants and shops-- both were great since we just left the car in the garage! Seemed like a safe part of town, my son and I went on several walks just exploring the area and never felt overly concerned for our safety.
We enjoyed our visit to SF and glad we stayed in Berkley at the Shattuck.

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled with family
1  Thank friendofmyheart
Reviewed 31 August 2010

I stayed at this hotel because of its location and can truthfully say that is practically the only positive thing I can say about it. The last time I stayed in a room this small was in a cruise ship back in the 70's. The walls are paper thin and my son and I could hear everything in the room next door. That was particularly bad as one night the people had their television on until 2:00 AM in the morning. I want to say that management did try to do something about it, but these travelers were incredibly inconsiderate. The drawer space is practically nonexistent and the shower curtains don't keep the water from spilling all over the bathroom floor. If you are attracted to this hotel because of its proximity to the UC Berkeley campus as I was in a visit to see my daughter, the price you pay is way too high. There are much better choices a little further away.

• Stayed: August 2010

Thank you for your review.
I am very sorry to read you were so disappointed with your room size and that we were not able to make arrangements to meet expectations during your stay.

Our historic hotel does have both small and large rooms. The larger rooms, typically can be found in the Cityscape room type, and some have bay views toward the Golden Gate bridge.

Reviewed 26 August 2010

Very good hotel in a great location. BART station is just across a small street (less than a minute away) with a lot of good restaurants nearby within walking distance. Didn't have a car so don't know what parking is like, but based on what was posted in the hotel seemed like it could be a pain during holidays. Very clean and good staff. The hotel front desk is not very conventional with just a couple of small podiums. Small but efficient. I think it's to compensate for the small lobby.

Now to rooms. Very clean and comfortable. Not a big room, but big enough (1 got a standard room with 1 King bed). Bathroom was also small but clean. Water pressure, the hallmark (in my opinion) of a good hotel, was a bit disappointing. The biggest gripe I had was with the street noise from Shattuck Ave. It's a busy street, and there was a lot of noise (musice) from the street even after dark. If you want a good night sleep, you might want to opt for a room on the quieter side. In addition to the street noise, the walls seemed quite thin and you could hear a lot of noise from adjacent rooms. They could have done a better job to insulate the noise.

The fitness room seemed like a bit of a joke. It's basically the size of a very small room with 3 running machines and some weights. Maybe the weather is so nice that everyone prefers to run outside, but the fitness room seemed very minimal.

Oh, and the internet is free (though slow), which is always a plus.

Overall, I give it an A-

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 24 August 2010

We reserved a suite and asked for an extra bed in our room in advance. When we arrived, they had no extra beds. We asked for extra bedding to use on the couch in the suite and were informed none available. I bribed a house maid a $20 and some showed up immediately.

Although the rooms have been modernized, the place has a mildewy smell throughout and is not insulated. You will here every door close in the vincinity throughout your stay.

The prices for the food is very over priced and just skip the Sunday Brunch all together. $32 is cheap for a brunch, but it is very limited.

The service staff tries to be helpful but is limited in what they can do. I asked for a Taxi and they were unable to call one. The gym is very small and dirty. I called twice to have someone clean and they never showed up.

I will find some where else to stay on my next visit

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled with family
HSP2009, General Manager at Hotel Shattuck Plaza, responded to this reviewResponded 31 August 2010

Thank you for your feedback on our hotel, I am sorry we did not meet your expectation, and hope with some explanation you may decide to try staying with us again:

Over busy Parent UC Weekends we will be ensuring we provide additional extra bed availability to meet more consistently our valued guest expectations.

We do have limited availability of extra beds and provide those beds we have on a request basis rather than guaranteed. We do recommend as a historic hotel, with individual room sizes, reserving a connecting room as our best option.

I am sorry that you and your family were inconvenienced and please be assured we are addressing this concern for a more positive future outcome.

We were surprised and disappointed regarding the mildew smell you encountered. With new carpets, linens and bedding, that are maintain to excellent standards, I am concerned to read of your experience and will research and address to complete satisfaction.

The Berkeley City has now modified our entrance to be a 'green parking zone' which provides easier pick up and drop off access for guests and taxis. This is in addition to the cab stand that is one block from the hotel.

The weekend you stayed was exceptionally busy, and although not a valid excuse, we hope you try us again so that we can turn your experience to a more positive one.