“Amenities and staff top notch”

Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Ranked #1 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Atlanta, Georgia
“Amenities and staff top notch”
Reviewed 19 November 2010

Aside from the hotel itself and very close proximity to restaurants, transit and the like, Hotel Shattuck Plaza staff is outstanding. I'd unwittingly arrived without dress shirts for my meetings in Berkeley and asked the clerk/concierge (Asst. Front Office Mgr, Josh Buckelew) for directions to the closest men's clothing store. Josh advised that none were within walking distance but that he'd be happy to pick one up for me the next day on his way into work. He did so and saved me a great deal of time on a favor he'd offered to do on his own initiative.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled on business

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (290)
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
West Kelowna, Canada
Reviewed 15 November 2010

We had an inside room, very quiet for such a busy part of town, the room was large and vey well decorated.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
Seattle
Reviewed 7 November 2010

Great stay, staff was super helpful and attentive. Took the advice of other reviewers and requested a room off the street. While it took a long walk to get to the room, we were rewarded with peace and quiet. The bar in the lobby was excellent, if a little expensive. ID definitely stay here again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled as a couple
DC
Reviewed 4 November 2010

What more could one want? I travel a great deal business for (and pleasure) and have been around a good part of the world. This hotel has the best service of any hotel I can remember and I have stayed in some of the finest, of which this is one. When I arrived, I found that my trusty carry-on bag's zipper had broken and had separated from the top of the bag completely. The Assistant Front Office Manager, Josh Buckelew, fielded my call and immediately said he would see where it could be fixed and have that done for me. When it was impossible to find a place late on Thursday night to do an over night job, he offered to personally take it to a nearby luggage store to see if they could fix it. In the end, I had to buy a new bag, but greatly appreciated the kind assistance from Mr. Buckelew and other hotel staff. All were very professional, yet friendly. My stay there was superb. I highly recommend this hotel for anyone visiting Berkeley for either business or pleasure.

Orange, California
Reviewed 4 November 2010

I only have wonderful things to say about this hotel. First off, you can't beat its proximity to UC Berkeley's campus. It was just a short walk from all the restaurants on Shattuck as well as the classes of my sister's that I shadowed. Every member of the staff was very helpful and friendly. Kevin at the front desk, was especially so. Upon check-in, he gave me a very pleasant greeting and asked me about my travels. He also asked me if I had any particular requests for my room. I asked if anything was available away from the elevator and away from the street. He gave me a beautiful, quiet room that meet both criteria. The room was nicely decorated and housekeeping did a very thorough job each time they serviced the room. I especially liked that there was always a staff member to open the front door for you each time you exited and entered the front door. That was a nice touch. I will definitely be visiting hotel Shattuck again.

• Stayed November 2010, travelled solo
san diego
Reviewed 1 November 2010

Loved our night here. Staff was friendly and professional; they moved our room immediately and graciously when we didn't like our first room. Rooms are elegant, solid and extremely comfortable. No merchandising or bottles of water for sale in the room for $8. You can get free filtered still and sparkling from room service or at the spiffy bar. The breakfast was divine for health nut foodies like myself, with beautiful berries, plain yogurt and strong black coffee, all at half the cost of chain hotels. We ended up having their reduced rate for hotel guests prix fixe meal, which was fantastic; we were expecting so-so food, and ended up having a first rate, three course meal for $22/person.

Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 1 November 2010

after years of coming to Berkeley and staying at b&b's the Shattuck comes along! comfortable, well designed, great staff, they've thought of everything to make a visitor's trip welcoming.
This is my home in Berkeley.
Congratulations Shattuck.....job well done!