Rose Garden Inn
  • Breakfast included
  • Pool
Nash Hotel(Berkeley)
View Hotel
All reviewsgas fireplacedifferent buildingstelegraph avequaint hotelbreakfast includedcookiesfree parkinguc campuswe've stayedberkeley areabart stationcharmbay
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I wish I could give this a 2.5, but I can't give it a 3, as I feel it is below average and needs some improvement.

This is a large, old 'mansion' with detached additional buildings serving as a hotel. The room I was in was right by the front door, #603. Surprisingly, I didn't notice a lot of noise except when some noisy groups where talking loudly as they were coming/going from the hotel.

Location is great and the best thing about the hotel. It was walking distance to many restaurants near the Berkeley campus and the office building I was working at.

The included breakfast is decent, but could use a bit of variety. It's difficult to complain about this, as eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, and baked goods is pretty standard buffet fare. It just gets repetitive after a few days.

My main issue is that the rooms (at least the one I was in) need some love and updating. I have no reason to believe the room was not clean, but there was a musty odor that made me wonder how often the carpet and other furnishings were cleaned. Enough so that I bought a cheap air freshener at CVS down the street, and that I felt the need to wear socks on the carpet.

Also, I found the window on this ground level unit to be unlocked already when I went to open it and get some fresh air. I didn't feel particularly unsafe from this, as the hotel is "gated" and someone appears to always be on staff, but it seems like something they should be checking. The bathroom was hard to maneuver in, as the tiny pedestal sink had no usable counter space. The bed and pillows took some getting used to, the quality is fairly low. Having a mini fridge in the room is a nice touch, but it ended up freezing bottles of soda pop.

I didn't bother to complain about any of the issues I encountered, because I didn't personally pay for my stay here, and feel the rate I was under to be very reasonable. However, I hope my feedback can help the hotel identify improvements they can make to improve the experience of future guests. I think the property has a lot of potential. It definitely has character.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank jaydfwtx
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We first booked three nights before heading north for the weekend. We liked it so much, that we also booked four nights when we came back to Berkeley at the end of our holiday. Especially we loved the garden, with beautiful threes and flowers and cosy sitting groups. Our room was big (junior suite), with a balcony and a fireplace (which we didn´t use, though).
The breakfast was sufficient, but since we stayed for a week altogether, we got a little tired of the selection. And the bread was not very fresh. But we will definitely book this hotel again, should we come back to Berkeley some time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BergenTraveler2008
Shiloh E, Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and for taking the time to share your feedback.
We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and the garden! (- You should see it at the height of Summer when the roses are in bloom!)
Our complimentary breakfast buffet is one of the things that sets us apart from our competitors, and we do our best to offer a wide selection of breakfast choices each day. Unfortunately, in the interest of keeping our breakfast complimentary, we must also control the cost, which makes it difficult to vary the breakfast items on a daily basis.
Thank you, once again, for sharing your thoughts with us, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The manager Kevin was very friendly and accommodating! Rose Garden Inn is a cozy place with a real garden. Please note that there is no minibar! (I should have read the description more carefully in Priceline)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind review! Alas, we are sorry not to be able to offer our guests minibars, but on the bright side, it encourages visitors to explore some of the fantastic watering holes that Berkeley has to offer! Stop by the front desk on your next visit for some local recommendations, or to borrow our ever-popular DIY corkscrew, so that you can enjoy some wine in our lovely garden!

Reviewed 13 November 2013

We have stayed at the Rose Garden Inn repeatedly over the years and have never had a poor experience. They are very accommodating, parking is convenient, the breakfast is good, it is quiet and clean. It is an eclectic combination of buildings, so some rooms are upstairs, and there is no elevator; but for those with mobility problems there are ground-floor rooms and ramps. It probably wouldn't appeal to those who prefer the Hilton, but we prefer places with more character, given the choice.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Thank you for your lovely and complimentary review! We are delighted to be your home away from home on your visits to Berkeley! Thank you also for understanding that adding elevators to our turn-of-the-century victorian mansions would compromise the period authenticity that we strive so hard to maintain. We're so glad that you appreciate and value our charm and character, and we look forward to many more opportunities to serve you over the coming years!

Reviewed 29 September 2013

My family stayed in a two room suite that had a full kitchen, two queen beds and a large king bed, and a pull out couch. If you are a large group, I would definitely recommend asking for our room. As an added bonus, we noticed a small day bed on the side of the room (which we were not previously aware of) which we were also able to use as an additional bed. The hotel itself was very elaborately and dramatically decorated with bright colors and curtains. The staff were very helpful and we enjoyed the beautiful gardens.

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled with family