“Definitely Feel The Berkeley Vibe Here!”
Review of Rose Garden Inn

Rose Garden Inn
Ranked #12 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersSilver level
Reviewed 12 May 2014

My wife & I stayed here for two nights recently for a business trip & early wedding anniversary getaway. Due to a mixup on our reservation, we were courtesy upgraded to a king suite complete with fireplace off the main building. The ambience is very appropriate to the "Berkeley Bohemian" atmosphere. Just a couple of blocks from Whole Foods and close to UC. Beautiful gardens and a quaint "mansion" feel, we loved our stay. We'll be back! The only reason I didn't give the hotel the highest rating is no a/c.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank RenoTraveler97

Reviewed 4 April 2014

Stayed here for 5 nights. Great location close to UC and downtown. Had a room in the back (not in the main house) and it was very quiet and convenient to the parking lot. Kevin and the team made me feel comfortable from the beginning through the end of my stay. Will be back again.

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Dan510
Reviewed 3 April 2014

I had the pleasure of staying at the Rose Garden Inn for 5 nights. This was my first trip to Berkeley so I was very unfamiliar with the area. The staff was extremely friendly and went above and beyond to make sure I was comfortable. They provided information on places to eat and locations to visit. I must admit I normally am not a breakfast person but the breakfast buffet that was served each day pulled me in. The food variety along with unlimited supply of coffee and tea's were wonderful. I would recommend this hotel to anyone who is looking for something with charm and friendly staff. I am in the process of booking another stay at the Rose Garden Inn.

Room Tip: Let the staff assist you and you will not go wrong.
  • Stayed: March 2014, travelled solo
1  Thank Cheryl D
Reviewed 5 March 2014

I was upgraded to a room that had a combination of living room and king size bed with enclosed fully equipped kitchen. It was on the first floor next to a parking lot. The property is old and has lots of charm. It reminded me on my first house in Midwest. The furniture was antique with French decor flair. The couch in the living room was old and uncomfortable but fit the theme. The living room was equipped with flat screen TV, mini fridge and microwave. In the evening I turned a gas fireplace, old lamp shades and the room had a very homey feeling. The gardens are very nice and fragrant with Jasmine and rose flowers. The hotel provided hot coffee and green tee 24 h. The lobby had free computer stations and newspapers. The wireless internet and breakfast were also included. The breakfast was disappointing . The hot station had eggs and greasy bacon and sausage. Continental portion was okey with bagels, toast, cereal and some fruit. You can walk to downtown , campus and a Wholefoods. There is a yoga studio across the street, which is always a bonus for me in any place I travel. The hotel has on site parking. In overall a very charming, relaxing stay.

Stayed: March 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 February 2014

I wish I could give this a 2.5, but I can't give it a 3, as I feel it is below average and needs some improvement.

This is a large, old 'mansion' with detached additional buildings serving as a hotel. The room I was in was right by the front door, #603. Surprisingly, I didn't notice a lot of noise except when some noisy groups where talking loudly as they were coming/going from the hotel.

Location is great and the best thing about the hotel. It was walking distance to many restaurants near the Berkeley campus and the office building I was working at.

The included breakfast is decent, but could use a bit of variety. It's difficult to complain about this, as eggs, bacon, sausage, potatoes, and baked goods is pretty standard buffet fare. It just gets repetitive after a few days.

My main issue is that the rooms (at least the one I was in) need some love and updating. I have no reason to believe the room was not clean, but there was a musty odor that made me wonder how often the carpet and other furnishings were cleaned. Enough so that I bought a cheap air freshener at CVS down the street, and that I felt the need to wear socks on the carpet.

Also, I found the window on this ground level unit to be unlocked already when I went to open it and get some fresh air. I didn't feel particularly unsafe from this, as the hotel is "gated" and someone appears to always be on staff, but it seems like something they should be checking. The bathroom was hard to maneuver in, as the tiny pedestal sink had no usable counter space. The bed and pillows took some getting used to, the quality is fairly low. Having a mini fridge in the room is a nice touch, but it ended up freezing bottles of soda pop.

I didn't bother to complain about any of the issues I encountered, because I didn't personally pay for my stay here, and feel the rate I was under to be very reasonable. However, I hope my feedback can help the hotel identify improvements they can make to improve the experience of future guests. I think the property has a lot of potential. It definitely has character.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
7  Thank jaydfwtx
Reviewed 28 November 2013

We first booked three nights before heading north for the weekend. We liked it so much, that we also booked four nights when we came back to Berkeley at the end of our holiday. Especially we loved the garden, with beautiful threes and flowers and cosy sitting groups. Our room was big (junior suite), with a balcony and a fireplace (which we didn´t use, though).
The breakfast was sufficient, but since we stayed for a week altogether, we got a little tired of the selection. And the bread was not very fresh. But we will definitely book this hotel again, should we come back to Berkeley some time.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family
1  Thank BergenTraveler2008
Shiloh E, Manager at Rose Garden Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 30 January 2014

Thank you for your recent stay with us, and for taking the time to share your feedback.
We're so glad that you enjoyed your stay, and the garden! (- You should see it at the height of Summer when the roses are in bloom!)
Our complimentary breakfast buffet is one of the things that sets us apart from our competitors, and we do our best to offer a wide selection of breakfast choices each day. Unfortunately, in the interest of keeping our breakfast complimentary, we must also control the cost, which makes it difficult to vary the breakfast items on a daily basis.
Thank you, once again, for sharing your thoughts with us, and we look forward to your next visit!

Reviewed 25 November 2013

The manager Kevin was very friendly and accommodating! Rose Garden Inn is a cozy place with a real garden. Please note that there is no minibar! (I should have read the description more carefully in Priceline)

Stayed: September 2013, travelled solo

Thank you for your kind review! Alas, we are sorry not to be able to offer our guests minibars, but on the bright side, it encourages visitors to explore some of the fantastic watering holes that Berkeley has to offer! Stop by the front desk on your next visit for some local recommendations, or to borrow our ever-popular DIY corkscrew, so that you can enjoy some wine in our lovely garden!