“A great way to revisit Berkeley”
Review of Graduate Berkeley

Graduate Berkeley
Ranked #4 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
GreenLeadersGold level
Mill Valley
“A great way to revisit Berkeley”
Reviewed 27 January 2010

Very nice hotel. I will be staying there again. Berkeley does not have many choices. I would say this is the best.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (171)
Redlands, California
Reviewed 21 January 2010

Overall, this place is fine. It's probably the best that you are going to get in this town. However, I wanted more from my experience. True, this place is a good deal despite the $16 parking fee. I expected a more classy experience. Instead, I saw grown adults dressed in school inspired uniforms, a bong lamp in my room, a massive amount of junk food in the room, and dorm type paraphanelia everywhere.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled as a couple
Mendocino, CA
Reviewed 17 January 2010

I stayed here over the Christmas holidays this year and had a fabulous time. I didn't get the chance to eat in the restaurant because I was busy with friends and family, but I know from past experiences the restaurant is fabulous. My bed was comfortable, the TV was great, bathroom was nice size and clean, and the staff was extremely friendly and helpful. The window in my room was difficult to open/close, and each time I called the front desk the promptly sent someone up to help me, and with a smile even! I highly recommend this beautiful hotel to anyone. It is close to Telegraph Ave, but on a much quieter street. Easy to find.

Lake Mary, Florida
Reviewed 12 January 2010

After cross country business air travel, I was very pleased with the greeting and assistance I received from the front desk staff once I arrived at the hotel. I have been to this hotel before for business in the previous year and the service is top notch and is very consistent. The rooms are comfortable and the location to the UC campus and the rest of Berkeley is ideal. One major benefit of the hotel is the opportunity to use UC Berkeley's recreation facilities for swimming and working out. Overall, a great experience again and I would definitely recommend this hotel for anyone visiting the bay area for business or travel.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled on business
Atlanta, Georgia
Reviewed 6 January 2010

On approaching the hotel, I didn't see any signs for their parking lot, nor were there any free spots in front of the hotel for me to stop to ask. So I drove around the block to see what I could find. Second time around there was a spot, so I parked, walked in and asked. Turned out I had passed it on the parallel street, but really, without specific directions I would never have found it. Parked and got luggage to go in and check in. Found that I had to carry my luggage down an outdoor flight of stairs and up a few steps to get into the lobby - really terribly inconvenient.

Brisk and efficient desk clerk checked me in. Confirmed my Joy of Life account on the account (this is a Joie de Vivre hotel, Joy of Life is their frequent guest program) and said "it was busy, so they didn't get to in room amenities". Normally, there is a bottle of wine in the room for me when I check into a JDV hotel. It's a plus, and a nice one, so that was a minor disappointment. The inexpensive bottle of wine was not the main reason to be there - it was a small point, but it would have been nice if they'd paid attention to that detail, even if "it was busy" that day.

The elevator took ages every time I needed it. There are two elevators, but they are in different parts of the hotel, so the central elevator is in continuous use.

This was New Years Eve and I discovered that their bar and restaurant were closed, so I had to leave for dinner and a drink when I had planned to just get something quick in the hotel, which on New Years Eve took a lot longer than I would have liked. Understandable that their restaurant was closed, but still a small inconvenience, particularly when the hotel seemed quite full. And it would have been nice to have a notice about the closure on their website when I made the reservation the day prior.

The room itself was nicely renovated - hip, modern furniture, yet still elegant. I very much enjoyed the decor. Also, the sink was in the room, which is nice. And the separate bathroom contained a shower and toilet. But the shower had not been renovated. This is a pet peeve of mine: a beautiful room, new furniture and furnishings but an unrenovated bath area. It just detracts from the overall effort. My other issue with the room was that there is no individual temperature control - no air conditioning at all that I could see and the heat is through a radiator system throughout the building. I much prefer to control my own temperatures!

Restful night - I was on east coast time, so didn't stay up until midnight, but was woken up by fireworks. And by the dogs howling up and down my hallway. It seems they accept pets - and of course the owners were all out celebrating, so when fireworks began, the poor dogs started howling. The hotel couldn't do anything about this specific phenomenon, but they COULD put dogs in a separate part of the hotel from those of us traveling sans pets.

Overall, a nice enough stay, but the little things (parking lot stairs, inattention to frequent guest details, no notice on their site that restaurant would be closed, incomplete renovations, etc.) detract from the very nice bedroom furnishings. Thus only three stars.

santa barbara
Reviewed 5 January 2010

Honestly, I had wanted to stay at the Clairmont Hotel but due to my displeasure with my phone conversation with their reservation person I got back on the internet and found the Hotel Durant. I didn't know anything about it, but I liked the price and the fact that you could park your car for free if it was a hybrid. I was so happy when I arrived. The girl at the check-in counter was very pleasant. My room had a nice king bed, a large flat screen tv, and my favorite thing, a coffee pot. I felt like I was in Europe. The room was cozy and just had that European flair. The next morning when my coffee pot didn't seem to work I called downstairs and within a few minutes someone was at my door. It turned out to be my (operator) error but the man was very kind about it and made sure I was satisfied that the coffee maker worked. Not only was the hotel enjoyable it is located in easy walking distance to the university and across the street from the Art Museum. I know when I return I will stay there again.

portland, oregon
Reviewed 5 January 2010

My son attends Berkeley, and Hotel Durant was so perfect for the visit. Very comfortable. Charming. Took the train down from Portland, and I was happy with my stay there.

• Stayed November 2009, travelled solo