“What a difference new management makes!”

Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel
Ranked #2 of 20 Hotels in Berkeley
Reviewed 25 August 2012

We come to Berkeley 3-4 times a year to visit our children and grandchildren. The only show in town is the Claremont. Staying here 3 years ago was a terrible experience.

Ready Trip Advisor reviews recently gave us hope that there was a new management and the hotel finally got it together. I'm happy to confirm they are correct!

The staff is friendly,the food is great, the pool area is beautiful and well staffed with safety personal.
We also availed ourselves of the tennis club.
We enjoyed our week here and will make this our home when in town

Room Tip: Ask for the bay view on the 4th floor"it's haunted"!!
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, General Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

We are so happy your stay was so positive! You will always have a home away from home in Berkeley at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. It is a thrill to know that you enjoyed your recent weeklong stay with us and were able to take advantage of our pool and Tennis Club. Next time you visit, be sure to relax your muscles with a visit to our Spa as well! We look forward to seeing you the next time you are in town, thank you.

Reviewed 23 August 2012

I reserved a room with two queen beds for my daughter and three of her friends to celebrate her 16th birthday. Ashley in Reservations was very, very nice. She put the girls in a lovely room with views of the bay, left a chilled bottle of Martinelli's with champagne glasses along with chocolate dipped strawberries and a card for Olivia, and the man who checked us in at the reception desk waived the facility fee (which allows guests to use the swimming pool and fitness club). My daughter and her friends had an amazing time.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with friends
1  Thank ElainefromCalifornia
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

What an amazing and grown-up treat for your daughter and friends! Thank you for sharing details regarding your experience at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. It is our goal to provide exceptional and friendly services to each and every one of our guests and we are elated that your recent experience reflects the type of stay we hope everyone will have with us. Happy sixteenth birthday to your daughter, it would be our pleasure to welcome you all back again.

Reviewed 22 August 2012

My family stayed at the Claremont for three nights recently and thoroughly enjoyed this fine old hotel. We were there to move our son into UC Berkeley. It is close to campus and flies the Cal flag on top of the hotel so you are definitely in "Bear Territory", and the "Cal Alumni" package saves you the parking and facilities fees - a big plus! Get a room with a view and enjoy watching the sunset over San Francisco bay. The service is a bit spotty - room service dishes left in the hallway most of the day, a baby crib left in our room when we checked in, but this type of thing is easy to overlook when you get into the spirit of the place. I'm sure there are widely different rooms, and folks looking for a cookie cutter type of experience won't find it here, but the hotel has a long history in the community and the pool and spa are great. The local club members give it a lively feeling as professors, children, soccer moms, and tennis pros mingle with the hotel guests. Berkeley is a university town with an eclectic mix of bohemian, intellectual and up-scale residents and the hotel reflects this mix. It is not a perfect hotel, but it is memorable, and that just might be better.

Room Tip: Try to get an upper floor with a bay view.
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Within walking distance of UC Berkeley, you are most definitely in Bear County and we are thrilled you enjoyed your stay. The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa has a long and amazing history, with our beginnings as a private residence in the early days of the Gold Rush and it's great to know you appreciate our unique qualities as well as that of our surrounding area. Thank you for your review as well as providing suggestions to other guests, we hope to see you again soon.

Reviewed 21 August 2012

We found the Claremont to be a very comfortable and elegant hotel, the views were spectacular. The service in both the Paragon and Meritage Restaurants was very good. Breakfast at the Meritage was just a little better than average except for the lemon souffle pancakes which were fabulous. Dinners at both the Paragon and Meritage were wonderful except for the oysters at Paragon, a little sub par. The room was clean and spacious, the bathroom looked recently updated and beautiful. Our only complaint was the noisy guests in the hallways at night disturbing our sleep. We will return if we have a chance.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple

We are so glad you enjoyed the old world charm The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa has to offer. Exceptional guest service is our top priority as we hope to create a memorable experience for all our guests and for that we were delighted to hear that you enjoyed the service and attention to detail you deserve during your stay. We do apologize for any noise from other guests you may have encountered but it is good to know that it did not seem to impact your overall experience too greatly. Thinking about those pancakes makes us hungry right now! Thank you for your review, we hope you do have a chance to stay with us again.

Reviewed 20 August 2012

Traveled to San Francisco from LA during Fathers Day weekend. Usually, a trip to San Francisco meant staying at a hotel by the Embarcadero, but after our last unfortunate hotel experience there, we decided to expand our search and looked at staying East of the city, as driving was not going to be an issue. I found a deal on Groupon and was very pleased to find a resort hotel for half the price of stay at a Holiday Inn or Best Western in the city itself. I always worry when hotels advertise themselves as "resorts"-- that all they have may just be a pool, and now they have an excuse to tack on a "Resort Fee". We didn't have much of an itinerary, so majority of the weekend was really just going to be spent lounging around the hotel (and therefore it had to be good). So fingers crossed, I went and booked our stay. We upgraded the room to a Spa Room.

My husband arrived at the hotel a day before, I and our baby flew in the next day. He calls me at work to rave "the place is awesome!" as he is on his way to spin class. The place indeed was awesome. The Spa Room was very spacious, came with a king bed and had a sitting area with a couch that converts to a bed too. The bathrooms were clean and spacious. Because we had a baby with us, I noticed that areas under tables and by appliances were dusty (the things you see when you have to get down on the floor). I guess either they are not very meticulous with cleaning, or their big vacuum cleaners just cant squeeze into those spaces. Overall the room was clean, sheets looked and smelled fresh.

Our rooms were right on the Spa floor, so we got in our bathrobes and walked a few steps to the spa to get our hydrotherapy sessions. I have to say the hydrotherapy area is gorgeous-- think jacuzzis and jet tubs with views of the Golden Gate Bridge, and showers of every kind. The Spa floor also had convenient access to the back parking lot, the tennis courts, the swimming pool and the Club. As Hotel guests, we had access to their members-only health club and pools. My husband was ecstatic over the spin classes, he made me bring his bike shorts and shoes in (see, I told his there were spin classes, but he didnt think he'd go). I went to the Pilates classes-- the instructors were so good, I felt taller and leaner after each class. As for the pool area, all I can speak of is the kiddie pool :)

We had drinks at the Paragon two nights in a row. Their bar food is yummy. There was a jazz band playing on Saturday night. We tried the Sunday brunch at the Meritage, and that was exceptional. It was mildly irritating that we asked at the front desk about it, and they totally gave us incorrect information about the price, then called the restaurant and was told it was fully booked for the 11AM slot, recommended we go to a different hotel brunch. After calling other hotels, I called the restaurant again and asked "Do you have openings for any other time in the day?" and that's when they said "you can come in at 2PM!". Sigh, I wish they had just offered that when I called in the first place... save me the stress and the runaround (hence the low grade for service). There was a carving stations, loads and loads of crab legs, overflowing champagne, ample hot and cold food selection, an awesome dessert bar. We met up with friends and their daughter said "Can we stay here too?!"

So what else can I say? It was a very relaxing and refreshing weekend at a beautiful hotel/resort. The Club & Spa really made the difference. Without the Groupon, I would not have thought to check this place out, too intimidated by the cost. I am so glad I did (giving myself pats on the back for a great find). Still giving them 5 stars because overall loved the place, the good outweighed the bad. Would definitely come back, even if I had to pay full price :)

Room Tip: Spa room for easier access to the parking lot and the swimming pools (and the Spa), and if you dont...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family

Relaxing and refreshing are two of our favorite words and we couldn't be happier than to read a review such as yours. Thank you for providing such detail about your stay at The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa. We are thrilled to know you and your husband were able to appreciate much of what our Spa and Club facilities have to offer! Spin classes and Pilates both sound like the perfect way to work on your fitness. We do have to apologize however, for any confusion regarding the available reservation time for Sunday brunch or any issues you may have noticed in your guestroom and are glad that it did not impact your experience too greatly. We will share your comments with our associates. Everyone at will be anxiously awaiting your return, as it will be our pleasure to welcome you back.

Reviewed 18 August 2012

I have not stayed at the Claremont for about 3 years and man does she look better than ever.

The rooms are all freshly decorated and mine was impeccably clean and amazingly comfortable. Hallways and public space all look fresh and is done to compliment the 100 years this resort has been in operation. The sense of arrival was the biggest service improvement and that hit me as soon as I drove up! WOW! Bell service was anticipatory and teh reception desk was spot on!

The view from my room was spectacular - I ate in because of it!

Room Tip: My room 504 had to be one of their best - and the view was over the top. Had my wife been with me I...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, General Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 23 August 2012

Welcome back to The Claremont Hotel Club & Spa, it is truly a delight to know that you enjoyed your stay so much. Our property has quite a rich history and we do all we can to continue to honor it, from our decor to our service. The bay area is certainly beautiful and we are glad you appreciated the view. Thank you for providing details regarding your stay, we hope you will come back again for another visit soon.

Reviewed 17 August 2012

When you stay at certain places you expect to get what you pay for. I was expecting a certain level of service and did not receive it. From the waiter at the Paragon that was unapologetic for his mistake, to the female manager on duty who did admit knowing about the issue but made no attempt to come and address it with me, instead I had to bring the issue to her and I had to come up with an acceptable resolution. If I wanted to be the manager and do her job I would have applied for it. Then there is the uncaring "executive offices" that you can get to on the phone but are always in "meetings" and you can leave a message on a voice mail that apparently goes nowhere. Of course I'm sure Mr.Carlton or Mr. Primm as they are the two that will most likely respond to this will blah blah blah about their hotel, the fact is even Mr. Primm's email is on the contact us page of their web site and that will not even be answered. The restaurant issue was one of three distinct problems with the hotel, rude people working on site, and lack of security to peoples credit card info as my card was charged for a room I was not even present for, signed for or authorized in any way are two others. No wonder they had filed for bankruptcy a year ago!

5  Thank Mike K
CLAREMONT_H0TEL, Manager at Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 September 2012

Thank you for your candid feedback, it is truly disappointing to learn that you were unhappy with any other part of your stay. Providing excellent service is the single most important priority for all of our associates so we are certainly troubled by the details you have provided regarding your experience. We will share your comments with management as we hope to get to the bottom of your issues and resolve anything that may be outstanding as soon as possible. We are continuously working to improve our guests' experience and to provide the best services to all. Thank you.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Berkeley
Hotel Shattuck Plaza
Berkeley City Club
Berkeley City Club
#8 of 20 in Berkeley
HYATT house Emeryville / San Francisco Bay Area

Been to Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel? Share your experiences!