100 years ago, visiting a hotel was a rare experience -- travel was limited, and a visit to somewhere was a once-in-a-lifetime event. Monumental hotels were built because there weren't many from which to choose. In Berkeley, in fact in Northern California, one of those monuments is the Claremont Hotel. This sprawling edifice, lovingly restored and maintained, still conveys this era -- long hallways with many doors, a large campus with so many things to do, fine dining and always-friendly staff -- it does not take much to retreat to 1915 when the hotel was built and imagine being there.
Rooms vary in size and décor -- check them out and make sure you like the one in which you are being placed. Many are delightful, but the views vary widely -- the really good views of the Bay are worth fighting for. The restaurants are both good. Breakfast is wonderful -- order what you like (on or off the menu) and they will make it for you...just like in 1915! Farm-to-table dining at Meritage with a view of the Bay is a delightful way to end a day.
On the down side, this is a LARGE hotel -- boutique is not what you get here. Sometimes it is completely full with some group or another which, for any property, detracts from its charm. But they handle such crowding better than many other properties. Whether jammed or sparse, staff is unfailingly polite and solicitous -- and that REALLY feels like a throwback to another era.
In short, this is a deserving Bay-Area alternative if being in the City has become passé or you are craving something different and upscale.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- Opening its doors in 1915, Claremont Club & Spa has been revered as one of America's iconic luxury hotels. As it celebrates its 100th anniversary, Fairmont Hotels and Resorts is proud to unveil our newest member of the Fairmont collection, ushering in a new era of luxury for the next 100 years! Overlooking the San Francisco Bay, Claremont Club & Spa in Berkeley sets new heights in service, amenities, and accommodations. For the past 100 years, Claremont has been recognized as an icon in the Bay Area. Conveniently located in the heart of Berkeley, the hotel is only a 20-minute drive from downtown San Francisco. Private parking is available. Its 276 beautifully appointed rooms offer a mix of old world charm and California comfort, many boasting breathtaking views of San Francisco. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Fairmont Hotels, Booking.com, Priceline, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Odigeo, Expedia, Ebookers, Traveltool, S.L.U., getaroom.com and HotelQuickly so you can book your Claremont Club & Spa, A Fairmont Hotel reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Claremont Hotel Club Berkeley
- Claremont Hotel Club And Spa
- Claremont Resort Berkeley
- Claremont Hotel Berkeley