“Never had a bad experience at Montage BH, until this past stay :(”

Montage Beverly Hills
Ranked #11 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed 4 September 2012

I save up so I can treat myself and my man to a day or 2 at the Montage Beverly Hills a couple times a year, to come up from San Diego for a romantic getaway. Normally upon my arrival, I am greeted warmly and attentively. Imagine my disappointment when I drove up to the valet, and the gentleman in the brown suit (not with the hat) approached my car and first assumed I was coming for lunch. I was beaming with a smile, so happy to have arrived after the 3 hour drive up, and he was kind of snotty in his tone. I politely said, "no, I am a guest checking in." He rolled his eyes and asked about my luggage, which I said was on the back seat, and yes, I could use some help with it. Instead of the normal bell person coming with the cart to assist, this rather terse gentleman had my car driven down to the parking. I asked about my bags, and he snapped that they would be brought up, don't worry. Then he promptly left to go take a picture with his cellphone camera of the Ferrari parked in the valet area. I have never been treated so rudely at the Montage. The front desk check-in was courteous and delightful, as usual, so I felt a little better. Ismael, the bellman, came up to my room a few minutes later, but he had the wrong bags. I explained to Ismael that the terse man at the valet had them drive my bags with my car down to the parking lot. Ismael promptly went back downstairs and found them. He was very sweet.

I had booked a special spa package and was really looking forward to a relaxing spa treatment, but when I called to book just a manicure to start, I was told there were no nail services available at all that day. They should warn you when you book that certain services may not be available. I went down to the front desk to ask what else might be available, and Jennifer there quickly offered a food and beverage credit, which I happily accepted. It would give me a great opportunity to introduce some of my colleagues in my Century City office to The Montage, as a great place to come relax and also to entertain important clients. Unfortunately, that did not turn out so well.

Normally, I love the Parq Bar, and Matt Landes there does an exceptional job in treating the guests there like royalty. However, he was not there that night (it was a Wednesday) and the music in the Parq Bar was deafening and service poor. I had my colleagues meet me there so I could show them how great the Parq Bar and Scarpetta is, but there were only 5 guests in the Parq Bar that night and the loud music made it very uncomfortable. As we waited for our drinks, my guest noticed the bartender or barback picking the back of his teeth with a pencil or stick of some sort. I was mortified!!! We couldn't stand the loud music (mind you, we are all in the age 30-40 range) and that toothpick incident grossed us out, so we moved to the Library. Even in the Library, the music was still so loud, we had to shout to hear each other. We decided to close out our check and move over to Bar Scarpetta, where Paige provided top-notch service to us.

The rooms are not as loaded with amenities as they once were (they have cut back on the Agraria bath products, and do not give you the lavish amenities that the Laguna Beach Montage does), and my room was very noisy! I am not sure what has happened since the last 3 or 4 times I have stayed in the beautiful Superior Room, but there was this dinging noise everytime the air conditioning would come on, all hours of the night. It kept waking me up :( Also disappointing was finding out the Conservatory Grill balcony overlooking the Beverly Canon Gardens is no longer open for dining...I always look forward to enjoying breakfast overlooking the gardens and up into the Hollywood Hills. Not too terrible to have to settle with dining in the enclosed area by the pool, but it just isn't as special.

I most likely will stay at The Peninsula next time and give them a shot, as things at The Montage are not at the 5-star impeccable level of service I had been accustomed to by them.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Marianna E
MontageBH1, Manager at Montage Beverly Hills, responded to this reviewResponded 7 September 2012

We regret that you left Montage Beverly Hills feeling dissatisfied and hope you will accept our sincere apologies. We will be reaching out to you directly to further discuss the issues you experienced so that we may address them with our team immediately. We hope to rectify your experience.

David Hoffman

Reviewed 31 August 2012

Great location.
Room (corner suite) was very spacious.
Nice touch of a monogrammed pillow with our initial.
Great bed linens.
Great TV's.
Shower is in the tub/jacuzzi (really, you couldn't make stand alone shower work in that large space?)
No make-up mirror (only complicated by barely adequate bathroom lighting)
I get this is supposed to be a first class hotel environment...but can you please put an iron/iron board in the closet? We don't always have time to wait for things to be pressed.
First impression was blown (had to wait 5 minutes for someone to appear when we drove up)
Very courteous and attentive front desk staff
Service and food selection at upper level cafe (by the pool) was just OK (not worthy of a hotel of this class). It took a long time for our bottle of wine to arrive...then it was warm.
Lobby bar staff was exceptional one night and weak the second night.
Room service was up to standards.
Concierge staff was fantastic.
Valet had a second failing when we had to wait 15 minutes for our car (after calling ahead of time). Partial redemption by providing great advice on an alternate route to the airport, with cold waters waiting in our car.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 31 August 2012

The best of the best.
Fine service and amazing bed, room and room service.
Not a bad thing to say about this spot on Canon Drive.

The best hotel in LA now.
Well done!

When it opened, right as the economy crashed, I wondered if they would sustain the service and brand. But it's been a home run from the start.

Brad

Room Tip: Check out the poolside views and dining options. Plus the newish Scarpetta on the ground floor is go...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2012

I am a frequent traveler and LOVE nice hotels. I am a huge fan of Montage in Lugana Beach,but didn't try Montage Beverly Hills because I couldn't imagine this hotel without the beach outside my window.
Four Seasons hotel was too booked to take me so I decided to try Montage BH. From the minute I arrived at the front desk, they all greeted my name, who doesn't want to feel special. The first room was beautiful and big, however I felt like the people on the street was at eye level, so I asked to move to a higher floor.
Mallorie at the front desk was so gracious and kind, not only was I moved to a higher floor with a Great view of Beverly Hills but I was also upgraded to a bigger room which made my week of work feel more comfortable.
Every morning I looked forward to my workout because the gym was super amazing with state of the art equipment.....Oh and let's not forget the SPA ,truly one of the best and if you are a spa queen like me... This hotel is worth staying for that reason alone.
My only little disappointment was the pool area, beautiful views being on the top floor but small so you are a bit on top of each other....but then again a good way to meet people.

Room Tip: Loved my room with the view of Beverly Hills and full of light 544
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 30 August 2012

The best inner city hotel I have ever stayed in. Great staff from check in to concierges, Beautiful rooms. We celebrated a wedding there, and the staff did everything to make all of the guests welcome. This hotel was redone about 5 to 7 years ago we were told, and it looks like it has older period grace. There was a great pool and restaurant up on the roof and a beautiful spa- recognized as one of the 5 best in L.A. area.

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 28 August 2012

Stayed at the hotel for 5 days in July. We had a nice stay overall. The service and facilities are great. I enjoyed the gym as I found it to be large and had many cardio machines to chose from. We had to wait for our car too long as we found the valet sevice disorganized and overwhelmed at times with the amount of cars it must handle.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family
Reviewed 16 August 2012

I was impressed by the Montage from the moment we walked in the door. Not only is the hotel beautiful but the check in staff were amazingly helpful. We got to the hotel at around 8am and they let us have our room straight away. It only got better form there!

The room was big and well appointed, as well as having a hairdryer that actually worked (my hotel pet peeve).

All the food service staff were great too.

Linda in the gift shop was wonderfult, she really knew her stuff!

It;s right smack bang inthe middle of Beverly Hills shopping.

My only issue was with some information from the Concierge but, once I complained to the hotel when I got home they were great at soring everything out.

Would definitley recommend it to everyone, and have already started! It's definitley soemwhere I'd stay again and again.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Westside
Hotel Bel-Air
Hotel Bel-Air
#1 of 354 in Los Angeles

Been to Montage Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!