“We were delighted with our time at...”

Montage Beverly Hills
Ranked #13 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed 31 March 2010

We were delighted with our time at Montage. The hotel staff were great and suggested many ways we could enjoy our stay at the hotel. They even gave our five year old son a kid size robe to keep!

Great location and super swank hotel and pool area. Makes you feel like you're a TinselTown Celebrity.

Reviewed 29 March 2010

For a grand hotel you dont feel intimidated at all by the hotel simply because the staff are so friendly and 'nice'. Dusty and tired from a long journey, we were quickly checked in and introductions were kept to the minimum so that we could settle down easily. The best part really was the policy of check out by date - not time - and so we did not have to worry about checking out before we went out for the day. The bedding was so comfortable we slept soundly, not experiencing the effects of jet lag so badly. Breakfast was a joy of quiet enjoymet either on the terrace downstairs or up onthe roof-tops. Understated elegance was what we enjoyed most of all. AND truly the plus factor was the fact that after we left I realised i must have misplaced my camera in the hotel. The night staff on duty asked for details of the camera and the very next morning I got a call to confirm they would look for it. And lo and behold they fpund it stuck between the bed and the side table. I was in San Francisco and they sent it to me by courier so as I could get it before I left SF for home. We returned earlier this year on another trip to LA because it is truly a most comfortable place in an elegant setting. And the service had not changed, the hotel staff were as attentive and welcoming as before, and the breakfasts were as enjoyable as before.

• Stayed: August 2009, travelled on business
Reviewed 15 February 2010

We stayed two nights for a weekend getaway and have stayed at many fine hotels around the world. From the moment we were greeted in the drive by the valet to the check in process to the dining experiences, this hotel deserves excellent ratings. It obviously caters to discriminating travelers who want privacy, attentive service and the finest room amenities. Our experience was quite simply lovely. Bedding is sumptuous. The masseuse was excellent. Our room service order was flawless and delivered absolutely on time. The TV in the bathroom was a nice touch as well. Staff are well trained in providing excellent service and we felt pampered. This holel should set the standard for the industry. You get what you pay for.

The only less than stellar experience was pool attendants were slow. They seemed more concerned with obtaining our room number than bringing the drinks we ordered twice. Otherwise we could not have been more pleased with the entire stay!

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled with family
Reviewed 11 February 2010

This was the best hotel ever. The service was wonderful. We were catered to every moment we were out of our room but not forced or overdone. It was elegant... and in a great location. Extremely clean and beautiful. I would go anytime, would like to live there it was so great! They were very attentive to details....our pillow on the bed had our last name initial on it. The pool was beautiful.

• Stayed: September 2009, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 10 February 2010

Just one night at The Montage. Had been to their sister hotel at the beach location in Newport and enjoyed brunch there very much, so stopped off at Beverly Hills hotel prior to LAX. High quality fittings and bedding in the room, and very professional service from the bell hop through to the concierge and reception staff. The only issue worth raising was dinner in the Parq restaurant at 8pm on a Sunday night was a lonely affair - only me in a large and grand room (eventually joined by two more tables, but hardly buzzing!) Expensive too at $150 just for me. The spa facilities are lovely too. Yet again was the only one in there at 6pm ... which was great. Expensive but undeniably chic. Would also suggest dining at Bouchon next door.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled solo
Reviewed 3 February 2010

I travel constantly for both work and play, so when I say that this is one of the best hotel experiences of my life, I am really saying something huge. I just returned from a 3-day business trip as a solo woman traveler. This property has all the plush and beauty and detail of a ritz or four seasons, (which I prefer not to display on business expense accounts), but none of the stuffiness or pretension. It is new and fresh and vibrant and gorgeous. The staff is amazing and attends to everything---as examples: one of the concierges asked me if I used to stay at the Seattle Fairmount--she remembered me from years ago; the person who checked me in took me to my room and then spent the next few days looking out after me; when I rented a car one day the hotel staff plugged all of the adresses int the rental GPS; the valets wil drive you anywhere in BH gratis in the hotel cars. etc. The hotel guest room I had was very smart--there is an area for chargers, there is a blanket on the sofa, everything is in the right place; love love love the yummy toiletries; buttoms tell display that you wan tthe room made up--no more messy, falling hangtags. Bed may have been the most comfortable I ever slept in. I ordered a complicated in-room dining breakfast---I wanted half the order packed to go and half to stay and they got it exactly right. Spa also wonderful. Book this on the Platinum Am Ex card--it is a great rate (395) and you get the upgrade, breakfast, and Fand B or spa credits. This hotel is also in a fantastic location. I would not stay anywhere else for business in LA, and i would also happily stay here with family. Also, I had two breakfast meetings and a dinner meeting, all on property and everything was flawless. Kudos to the management, they are doing something very very right.

• Stayed: February 2010, travelled on business
Reviewed 2 February 2010

We enjoyed 2 short but sweet stays here just before and just after the holidays. For both stays we used the hotel's First Anniversary package (no longer available), a great introduction to the hotel that included a reduced room rate, breakfast, and spa credit.
One of the hotel's biggest pluses is its 24 hour check-in/out policy where you name your check-in and out times and they try their darndest to accommodate you--we checked in both times around 9am and left around 1 pm.

The hotel is designed in a Spanish/early California style and is situated just north of Wilshire Blvd. There are rooms up to floor 6, with floors 7 and 8 being private residences. Floor 9--the roof--has a pool and restaurant. The porte-cochere entryway is small, with no room for landscaping. Rooms face the hotel's entry on Canon Dr., Beverly Drive, or the Beverly Canon Gardens, a new slice of nicely landscaped land to the side of the hotel with fountains, lawn and outdoor tables. This garden and a large 3rd floor terrace that overlooks the garden are the only outdoor landscaped areas. Thomas Keller's newest Bouchon Restaurant branch is on the opposite side of the garden. It seems most of the hotel rooms have balconies, but their size and type of railing (and thus level of privacy) varies with room location and floor level.

For both stays we booked a Superior room, the least expensive. On our first stay, we were escorted directly to the room from the front desk, and check-in was completed there. For our second stay, the room was not quite ready, so we were contacted by cell about an hour later, and the luggage was sent up before us. The first room overlooked the porte-cochere and was more wide than long, affording enough space for 2 Juliet balconies--just enough room to step out and stand--and thus lots of natural light. For our second stay we requested a room overlooking the garden, not realizing no Superior rooms face this direction. We were thus given a complimentary upgrade to a Deluxe room, which was more long than wide, and had a large balcony with table and chairs. The Deluxe room had the signature L-shaped chaise-sofa touted on the website that the first room did not. The Deluxe room bath was a tiny bit smaller--there was no bench in the shower. Both rooms had smallish closets but ample drawer storage space and elaborate minibars. The desk is a bit ill-designed--the large flat screen TV is built above the desk, cutting down on usable desk space and also lighting. There is a pop-up console with every conceivable type of outlet needed, however. The drapes and light brightness are controlled by wall switches, or on the TV screen. A neck pillow monogrammed with your initials is placed on the bed. We had problems operating the DVD player in both rooms. The operating instructions in the room are incomplete, necessitating having someone come up to help. In the second room, someone had to totally rework the cable connections.

The hotel has 2 restaurants plus a living room-like lounge where afternoon tea and cocktails are served. The main restaurant, Parq, has some outdoor tables along the garden and never seemed crowded. We had breakfast there and it was fine. There is a mezzanine level above Parq that I think was supposed to be another restaurant with a celebrity chef, but for whatever reason it is now used for private functions only. We did not try the rooftop pool-adjacent restaurant, The Conservatory Grill, although the food we noticed being served to pool loungers looked delicious. There are many restaurant choices nearby, especially on Beverly Dr. The famous Spago and Mastro's Steakhouse are on Canon, as is the aforementioned Bouchon.

The spa was large and luxurious--2 levels with a central coed mineral pool. There are unisex mineral pools, steam, sauna and relaxation rooms. The many treatment rooms are separated into wet and dry areas. The treatments we received (massages, salt scrubs, Vichy showers) were topnotch. The adjacent fitness center is large and well-equipped.

There is a business center on the lower level that is quite well-equipped. During off-hours however, the room is locked and must be opened for you.

The only other hotel we have stayed at in Beverly Hills proper is the Peninsula. We have stayed at the SLS, but that hotel is technically in Los Angeles. Both the Montage and Peninsula are luxury, service-oriented hotels in the traditional manner, with the SLS being more casual with a much more modern, humorous vibe. I personally prefer the Peninsula's French architecture to the Montage's. The Peninsula has more outdoor landscaping opportunities with its larger porte-cochere and Villas separate from the main hotel. The Montage is a tad better located--closer to restaurants and shopping--but we are not talking long distances here. Either hotel will offer you a plush, luxe, pampering experience--service was wonderful for us at both. I think the Montage's General Manager was pilfered from the Peninsula. You can't go wrong with either.

• Stayed: January 2010
3  Thank pillowsofwanderlust
Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
Viceroy L'Ermitage Beverly Hills
#6 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to Montage Beverly Hills? Share your experiences!