“Convenient location, friendly staff, nice room.”

Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Vancouver, BC
“Convenient location, friendly staff, nice room.”
Reviewed 24 October 2013

Warning - it is very tricky to find this place at night due to their tiny signage along the main street. I presume it made small to be discreet.

I find hotel very conveniently located - many variety of shops and restaurants within a short driving distance (not walking). The room was larger than expected and the décor was fun & funky (in my opinion). The staff at the front desk and valet are always friendly and welcoming. Only 'down' side was that in-room snacks/drinks were outrageously priced. (Go across the street to Pavilions to stock up on room snacks). Plus the room's air-conditioning constantly switches on (only when it starts to get too warm) & off.

I highly also recommend visiting their downstairs restaurant / pool lounge. It seems to be a favourite with the locals as well.

Thanks much to the staff for all your assistance - I would definitely recommend this hotel.

• Stayed August 2013, travelled as a couple
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 25 October 2013
Dear aidapk,

Thank you so much for your kind comments, following your recent stay at the Avalon.

I was pleased to note that you had taken the opportunity to explore the surrounding area of the hotel, which as you mentioned offers a great variety of shops and restaurants along Beverly Drive and the Golden Triangle.

The front desk team very much appreciated your comment about your experiences with them throughout your stay with us. They certainly look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (151)
  • Arabic first
New York
Reviewed 22 October 2013

We found the Avalon in a travel book, written up for their amazing value and charm. This hotel was exactly that! The staff was extremely helpful and not to mention the restaurant in the hotel was TO DIE FOR too!!! We stayed in the penthouse suite and absolutely loved it! The bathrooms were marble surround and the beds were extremely comfortable! It's all the LA luxury without the LA price tags! A MUST STAY!!!

Room Tip: The "campus" is split amongst 3 buildings, all within steps from each other. There is the...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear Skye H,

Thank you for sharing such amazing comments, following your recent stay with us at the Avalon Beverly Hills.

Indeed, our Avalon Penthouse Suite is quite a hidden gem and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed it. Our Oliverio Team very much enjoyed having your join them around our signature hour-glass pool.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and for choosing the Avalon Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

Province of Malaga, Spain
Reviewed 21 October 2013

The last night of our west coast road trip found us back in LA, but we decided to stay in Beverly Hills so we could experience the area and visit Rodeo Dr and Santa Monica.

Unfortunately we arrive very late as we had to return to San Francisco as we left some important documents there. This meant we arrived in LA that evening (8:30pm) instead of 3pm.

When we arrived we pulled into the drive and was greeted by the valet. We started to unload and he was very eager to get our car parked and take the luggage up to the room. We said its okay we can manage, but he insisted that he would take it and it would be there waiting for us when we arrive. I told him not to park the car as our plans are to drop off the bags and get straight out for dinner.

Moving on to check in, the staff seemed polite, but it took approx. 15 mins to check in for some reason. Afterwards they gave us the necessary indications to find our room. We asked if valet parking was included in the room and we were told "not on your tariff" followed by "it will be an additional $35 to valet your car the night" This was the first of the previously "undisclosed extra charges" we would be offered.

We started to notice our "tariff" had us in the separate building across a small car park/alley and away from the main hotel. Not like other rooms who get the main building pool view. The photos we were shown on the internet are also very well taken and do paint a different hotel to what i saw.

When we arrived at our room we were surprised and complexed as to why the bags were not there, all we wanted to do was brush our teeth and get straight out for dinner. The bags arrived with the valet a further 5 minutes later... it gave us the impression that the valet was just looking for his tip and we felt a little suckered. We gave him what we had in our pocket at the time.

The pool / Spa area is nice, however you can not use it during the evening as it is transformed into the chill out-bar-zone-area. A nice idea that does give of a relaxing vibe, but i see both sides to this. If you want to use the pool on the evening you cant as it is turned into a bar area.

When we returned to our car in the foyer another valet was there and came rushing over to assist us with our car, he was promptly called back by the original valet who took our bags to our room, something was muttered between them and they both stayed at the valet desk !!! Quite strange! Our "impression" was that we had tipped him poorly in the room and he felt that we were not worth any further care or attention!

When we returned we decided to take a drive around Beverly hills. obviously a very pleasant area and the houses are amazing. There is absolutely tons and tons of street parking, but it is ALL controlled by zones and resident permits, none of it is publicly available, thus the hotel has you cornered with respect to paying the valet parking charge.

Once we arrived back at the room we wanted to shower and connect to the internet to check our flight etc etc... the complementary gels and shampoo offered is a large 500ml COMMUNAL dispenser. I imagine it is some designer make and they were honestly very nice, but it did feel very strange showering and pressing the gel dispenser that was half full and wondering who else had pressed the same dispenser before me and what they had touched before they pressed it !?!?!? Again, something i did not expect from the 4* Avalon in Beverly Hills.

Trying to connect to the internet we were HORRIFIED to discover that there is NO FREE INTERNET!! Another "undisclosed extra charge" of 20 - 25$ for 24hr access! This small insignificant charge changed our whole opinion of the hotel. We are supposed to be in a 4* hotel in Beverly Hills, at 300$ the night the rooms are not cheap, and they now want a further 20$ for you to check your emails.. were were quite disgusted by this policy. It is the FIRST hotel in the USA that has not offered free WIFI to us. Some hotels offer a limited bandwidth, with the option to pay for faster, but for simple emails the limited bandwidth is fine... at the Avalon it was pay or nothing. I called down to reception where i was told once more that "my tariff did not include WIFI".

It all started to become apparent that by paying a room rate of 290$ and receiving a complementary 20% off food and beverage voucher (not requested by me) you are given a "pay for everything else" tariff!

Just before we turned in for the night we were talking in our room about the weight of the luggage, we had purchased some goodies to take back with us and wanted to check our limits etc... (we could not check the airline webpage as we had to pay for internet) so we decided to call down to reception to ask is they had some form of weighing device available to customers that we could borrow for 3 minutes so we could go to the airport knowing the weight... NO! We were told by reception "the hotel does not have anything like that available".. I have stayed in everything from Marriott's and Hyatt's to Best Westerns and 8 out of 10 have had some form of bag weighing device available.

Conclusion: If you pay full price for your room and do not except any of their "complementary" F&B vouchers... you may not have to pay for any of the additional extras. However if you do go for some form of a deal offered on a webpage like Trivago or Kayak... beware. They seem to add on any savings with optional extras that should be standard for a 4* hotel in the USA in our opinion.

I would definitely shop around more next time i want to stay in this area.

Disappointed! Sorry, there is only one chance to make a good first impression!

• Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
5 Thank Mr_Journey
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 22 October 2013
Dear Mr_Journey,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your recent experience of the Avalon Hotel.

I was dismayed to learn about your experience and that you had not enjoyed your stay with us. I was also concerned to note your disappointment with regards to our internet and parking offerings. Please rest assured that we frequently review the pricing of such services, and as such the current $31 for overnight parking and $10.95 for wifi are in line or below the fees charged at comparable hotels in Beverly Hills. In addition, complimentary computer access with internet is offered at the front desk 24 hours per day.

The team and I very much value your detailed review and we hope that you will allow us another chance whenever your travels should bring you back to Beverly Hills.

Brasil
Reviewed 6 October 2013 via mobile

Hotel clean, room big enough for 3 people (room 314), bathroom too.
Friendly and helpful staff.
No so close but not so far from rodeo drive. There is a supermarket very close. In Beverly Dr there are lots of nice places to eat.
For sure would stay there again.

Stayed September 2013, travelled with family
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 9 October 2013
Dear SilBrasil,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent experience of the Avalon Hotel.

We were pleased to note that you enjoyed your experience with us, in particular the service you received from our team.

Thank you from all of us at the Avalon Hotel. We look forward to welcoming you back.

Cambridge
Reviewed 1 October 2013

We stayed at the Avalon for 4 nights at the end of August and found the Avalon Hotel to be that truly elusive place that is as picture perfect/charming/fabulous as their website purports.
It is a small and intimate hotel, very conveniently located with a serenity despite the *buzzing* poolside restaurant/bar scene.

We are a family of 3: 2 adults and 1 child and we had booked a Junior Suite, when we arrived and were shown to the room, it was not a suitable size for 4 nights (just a little on the small size), so I asked if we could move to a larger 1 bedroom suite, we were accommodated and the 2nd room was perfect, we were charged *extra* for the larger suite and that was not a problem as we were given a discounted rate on the *upgraded* room. We were also given complimentary wifi for our duration.

The level of service strikes that perfect balance between courteous, attentive but never invasive. There were 2 particular members of staff that were *outstanding* Tesla on the front desk and Jason in Oliverio (breakfasts) they stood out even amongst a generally fantastic team.

I would without a doubt stay again as it was such a lovely experience.

I have thought of any negative that I can pass on and this is the only thing: On the website it mentions that there is an espresso maker in the room and instead it was just a very standard filter coffee machine) that's it....all I can come up with.

The food at Oliverio was exceptional too! The interior decoration was beautiful and the *hourglass* pool vintage glamour.

Room Tip: If you are a family I would personally recommend a 1 bedroom suite over a Junior suite.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Dear AKATCambridge,

Thank you for sharing such glowing comments on your recent stay with us, here at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills.

The team very much enjoyed having you and your family with us and it was a pleasure to be at your service. Indeed, I have passed on your kind comments about Tesla and Jason, whom made your stay especially memorable.

On behalf of the Avalon Team, thank you for choosing to stay with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Perth, Western Australia, Australia
Reviewed 24 September 2013

I stayed here for a night in September. The room was located out the back and up an elevator, not around the pool, so be careful which room you book as you want one around the pool and not out the back in the separate building.

Rooms were comfortable and kind of spacious. I think you could do better in this area for a nicer hotel for about the same rate.
We parked for 5mins outside on the road and came back to the car and had a ticket! Doh! Be careful! Use the valet parking, they are pretty swift in getting your car and friendly.

Front staff are helpful and they have a computer you can use if required.

Pool area is quiet and intimate, nothing to loud and crazy happening when I was there, which was good.

overall its all ok, and worth a look if you can get a good rate under $200.

Room Tip: As for a room around the pool area.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank OzTravels80
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 29 September 2013
Dear OzTravels80,

Thank you for sharing your recent experience of the Avalon Hotel.

I am glad to hear that you enjoyed the service from our Guest Service and Valet Parking team. I was disappointed to read that we didn’t get the room right for you this time, but I am confident that, with three unique buildings, we can find just the right room on your next stay with us.

On behalf of all of us here at the Avalon, thank you for staying with us and for sharing your experience.

Bangkok, Thailand
Reviewed 22 September 2013 via mobile

I stayed at the Avalon on a Friday night for 1 night. First the cons.... My roomed faced Olympic Drive and the traffic noise was terrible. I should have insisted on changing rooms but the front desk attendants assured me that the Saturday am traffic wasn't bad and wouldn't be a problem. That was not the case! I was woken at 6:30 with traffic noise. Also avoid the rooms that overlook the center pool/bar which is also very noisy. The air conditioning in my room did not cool properly and rattled all night. Now for the pros..... Location is great, staff (front desk and valet) were extremely helpful and attentive. Overall it was not a comfortable stay. I moved to another hotel in Beverly Hills and am happy. I won't be going back to the Avalon.

Stayed September 2013, travelled solo
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 23 September 2013
Dear Bkktravelgal,

Thank you for posting this review and for sharing your recent experience at the Avalon Hotel.

I was truly delighted to read that you enjoyed the service you received during your one night stay with us and I am confident that we would have been able to address your concerns as mentioned in your review. We offer 3 unique buildings, which all have their advantages, including rooms that are much less affected by the traffic on Olympic Boulevard.

Thank you again for sharing your experience and for choosing the Avalon on this occasion. We hope to welcome you back again soon.