“Lovely Hotel in a great location”

Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
London, United Kingdom
“Lovely Hotel in a great location”
Reviewed 31 May 2014

We stayed in a premium double room and the room was fantastic. The size of the room and bathroom was huge and the beds very comfy. Avalon is a 10 minute walk to Rodeo Drive. The staff were lovely and helpful however we were disappointed that we requested a wake up call and no one called us. Luckily I woke up to the sound of the sprinklers starting or we would have missed our bus to Vegas.
The restaurant is really nice out by the pool with the mini fires but the food portions are tiny and the menu has limited options. For the price I would dine elsewhere. Overall we were very happy with Avalon and I would stay here again for sure. Two suggestions to make the rooms a bit better would be towel rails in the bathroom so you have somewhere to hang the towels once you used them and lights. There are no lights only lamps making the room quite dark.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 2 June 2014
Dear Aimee H,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to share your recent Avalon experience.

We were certainly delighted to read that you enjoyed your stay overall and that you were in particular pleased with the service you received from our colleagues. Indeed, our pool vibe at night with the fire pits provides an outstanding venue for dinner or a poolside cocktail.

From all of us at Avalon Beverly Hills, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again soon.

Hotel Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (148)
  • Arabic first
Orlando, Florida
Reviewed 26 May 2014

When I learned that Priceline assigned us to the Avalon Hotel I was a little leery. I have been traveling to the Beverly Hills/West LA/West Hollywood area since I was a teenager and I had never heard of it. I looked at the TripAdvisor website and thought it sounded okay. I also thought some of the pictures were a little strange in that the place looked old.

Here is my reality: The staff is a strong point. The were most gracious and anxious to please us. We stayed at the Avalon for four days and they were always helpful, friendly, and quick to respond. The location was perfect for our needs. My family lives in the area and it took no time at all to get to where we were going, even with LA traffic. It was 1/2 an hour less travel time from when we have stayed in West Hollywood--each way!

The room was clean, large and the bed was comfortable. There was adequate lighting and a good number of electrical outlets to charge our various devices. The safe in the room was barely large enough to fit an envelope, much less an iPad or two. It was "okay", and certainly better than nothing.

We had a king room with a balcony. The balcony was a nice touch but the two lounge chairs appeared discolored so we didn't use them. I believe the hotel has three separate buildings. Overall, we were glad to have stayed in the Beverly Tower as it is quiet. The rooms in the main building could get loud when there are nighttime events in the pool area.

The toiletries in the rooms are good products. The containers are refillable, which was fine with me as I understand they are greener. The air conditioner unit in the ceiling was effective in cooling the room, but it was loud. It was an issue but not a big issue.

I am a coffee drinker in the morning. Like some other LA hotels, the coffee isn't available in the room, but is is complimentary when you go down to the main lobby during specific morning hours. The coffee was good, but, since we were staying in a separate building we had to open three doors to get to the main lobby...two of them locked for security and requiring a key. Quite the juggling act. We had to get one coffee at a time or both go down to retrieve them. I might suggest a tray of some sort to help make this easier for those of us who drink our morning brew while getting dressed.

The retro furniture was fine except for the unique, round desk chair. If you are sitting at the desk to work on a computer it wasn't comfortable or natural.

We did not make use of the hotel restaurant on this trip.

Overall, we had a good stay and felt safe at the Avalon Hotel after the first day. There are some good reasons to stay at this hotel. Some minor improvements would make it better.

3 Thank edyrp
Tijs K, Hotel Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 28 May 2014
Dear edyrp,

Thank you kindly for taking the time to post this detailed review of your recent experience with us, here at Avalon Beverly Hills.

Indeed, I am immensely proud of our team here at the Avalon. Each of our colleagues is dedicated to providing all of our guests with the best possible experience, whether this is at the Front Desk, in our guestrooms, or at Oliverio, our poolside Italian restaurant.

I was pleased to note that your Deluxe Patio Room in the Beverly Tower provided you with an excellent retreat to rest and recharge while visiting your family. Each of our three buildings provide a unique room experience, and indeed the Beverly Tower offers a most peaceful stay.

While I was delighted to read that you took advantage of our complimentary coffee setup at Oliverio Restaurant, I do understand the disappointment you may have encountered to obtain a cup of coffee. We do offer complimentary in-room coffee setups upon request, of which I am dismayed you did not get to enjoy during your most recent visit.

On behalf of all colleagues here at Avalon, thank you for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We certainly hope to welcome you back in the not too distant future.

Sydney, Australia
Reviewed 25 May 2014

When we needed a hotel for one night in L.A. as a stopover en route from Mexico back to Sydney, we chose The Avalon as we've stayed there before and we love the large rooms, the interiors and the location. As it happened, the night was also my birthday, so my partner emailed the hotel manager and asked for a room upgrade. Well, they don't call L.A. the city of dreams for nothing, right? When we arrived we were informed we had been upgraded to the Penthouse Suite! Nice! The suite takes up the top floor of the adjoining Olympic building, has 2 bathrooms, a living area, has it's own furnished outdoor roof terrace, a balcony and an array of sun lounges. Sure, it's showing some signs of the ghosts of parties past, but hey it's L.A. of course it is! The bed was glorious and would have to be one of the most comfortable in any hotel I've stayed in. That penthouse suite was party ready and just screaming for another one, but sadly, we had another long flight home the following evening, and even we're not that crazy! (Just another year older and finally a little more responsible). The Avalon may not be the newest hotel in L.A. nor the most happening, but it's still got it and the service and hospitality we received was something special. So, a big thank you to Tijs and team for making my birthday memorable. Even without the party :)

Room Tip: If you want a better room, at The Avalon, all you have to do is ask.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Matthew B, Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 26 May 2014
Dear nooshkin,

Thanks for sharing such lovely comments following your recent stay with us, here at Avalon Beverly Hills.

I am so pleased that we were able to host you for your birthday celebration...and in our amazing Penthouse suite. Thank you for sharing your wonderful comments regarding our hospitality and service as being truly "something special". We take great pride in ensuring that our guests receive the exceptional personalized service that they deserve.

Thank you again for staying with us and for taking the time to share your experience. We hope to see you back soon!

Jerusalem, Israel
Reviewed 22 May 2014

Well located for multiple business engagements in Los Angeles. Staf pay considerable attention to details and guests. Rooms large and comfortable. Intimate but not intrusive. Dinning area and outdoor pool/court condusive to both relaxing and business discussions. Will definitely come back

Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
1 Thank Alanjf
Matthew B, Manager at Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills, responded to this review, 25 May 2014
Dear Alanjf ,

It was a pleasure having you with us and we were delighted to learn that you were able to relax and enjoy our Kelly Wearstler designed guestrooms and public spaces. I was certainly most excited to read your kind note about the intimate and personalized service that you received from our team throughout your experience.

Hopkins, Minnesota
Reviewed 21 May 2014

We stayed at the Avalon Hotel Beverly Hills while visiting our friend at USC. It's an excellent, older hotel with modern/retro updates. We had a pool view, premium king room, thanks to an upgrade. It was excellent. It had more than enough space, as well as a beautiful bathroom.

The only complaint that I have for this stay was our air conditioner did not work properly the day we arrived. It was a 100 degrees outside, with 78 degrees in the room. The first evening we asked for someone to come look at it, and all he said was cold air is coming out, and there is nothing that he can do. The next day (90+ degrees outside) still nothing. So we asked the front desk...they sent us someone who told us that you just have to set the temp to 72, open the windows to let out the hot air, and it should cool off. Sorry, not opening the windows to 90+ degree weather. Finally, right after the second man came we left the hotel for dinner and the manager asked if it was any better on our way out. We said, "No," and he said it will be fixed. All they need to do is adjust the coolness on the air conditioner. We were so happy for his help.

The staff is excellent, always being greeted by the front desk and the valets. We would stay here again, despite the air conditioner issue. It was eventually fixed, and that's all that we wanted.

Room Tip: Premium king room is excellent. Great space. Main building.
Dear mjn17,

Thank you for taking the time to share your recent Avalon experience.

Unfortunately Beverly Hills was experiencing extremely rare record heat, (100+ degrees), during your stay with us. I am extremely pleased that we were able to successfully cool down your room after some tweaking and provide you with a relaxed and comfortable guest room experience. We were delighted to note that our team's service went above and beyond your expectations.

From all of us at Avalon Beverly Hills, thank you for staying with us. We look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Twin Falls, Idaho
Reviewed 21 May 2014

Hotel was very cool, retro and hip... It was in a residential area and our room was located over the road from the main building in what seemed like an old apartment building? The bathroom was ridiculously small and the hotel was a little overpriced but it was clean and quiet and my stay was enjoyable. Hotel restaurant was nice, decor was awesome and the staff were very helpful. Oh and FYI, in your room you have the option to purchase a small water ($9) and shampoo ($65).

Room Tip: Some rooms are in a separate building across the road. The Avalon is located in a quiet, residential...
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Dear PinkSaguaro,

It was a pleasure having you with us and we were delighted to learn that you enjoyed our retro Beverly Hills hideaway. I was certainly most excited to read your kind note about our amazing staff and the iconic and boundary pushing designs of Kelly Wearstler.

Sao Paulo, SP
Reviewed 20 May 2014

this hotel is very sophisticated , tasteful , service is great
You should be delighted with the service , they really are very good at it .
The room is clean , tastefully decorated ...
Care only with the lowest rates because you can not stay in the hotel so pleasurable attachments ... are two attachments .... flee from them ... not that they are bad ... quite the contrary , clean , with everything need .... but at the price you will pay , it is better you go to another hotel because you feel segregated , far from the glamor of the hotel , having to cross the street to go to the reception .... really not worth it this hotel ... the price I paid would be much better installed in another hotel and not feeling like a second class breakfast .... when I complained wanting to go to the main building , guess the answer? are crowded ( even confirming all that an upgrade to a month in advance because of our honeymoon ) Too bad this stain on our honeymoon ... imagine the shame I spent with my wife saying it would be far more sophisticated of our honeymoon trip .. avalon ... you do not take me no more hotel avalon

Room Tip: procure sempre quartos no predio principal
Dear Helcio T,

Thank you for taking the time to share your most recent experience of the Avalon Beverly Hills.

I was pleased to note that you were impressed by the service you received throughout your experience and that the Kelly Wearstler designed room provided you with a comfortable stay. I do regret to learn about the inconvenience you may have encountered as a result of your room not being in the Olympic Building. Indeed we offer three separate buildings, which each offer a unique room experience. I am confident that we can offer a perfectly suitable room for you should you decide to stay with us again in the future.

On behalf of the entire Avalon Team, thank you for staying with us. We hope to see you again soon.