“Meh”

The Beverly Hills Hotel
Ranked #1 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed 13 December 2013

Don't really see what the hype is about - there is nothing strikingly wrong, but nothing special at all. Highlight was the bathrobes...I guess if you love celebrity spotting then it's alright, but I'm pretty glad I was staying there for such a short visit. Nothing impressed or delighted me. On the other hand, nothing was awful - but paying the same price as other hotels that would go out of their way to impress you, it seems the BHH is resting on its laurels, and has been for some time.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 December 2013

Dear NewYorkdaniela,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel. I am deeply disappointed to learn that we did not provide you with a superior product and service experience, and we clearly fell way short of your expectations.

With such a legendary history for over 100 years, we realize that we can never simply rest on our laurels, and we must continuously improve to remain relevant with today's luxury traveler. The ongoing restoration that has been taking place since 2012 has resulted in a refreshed lobby, Polo Lounge, Cabana Cafe and pool cabanas. We are in the final stage of the restoration, with all guestrooms and suites currently being updated. Hopefully, you will consider returning in the future so you can experience a completely enhanced hotel. Should you decide to do so, I will personally oversee your reservation and do my best to ensure that you do in fact appreciate more than just our comfortable bathrobes. I would truly be most grateful for any opportunity to restore your faith in our hotel.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to share your candid and valuable comments with us. And please accept my best wishes for a joyous holiday season.

Regional Director of West Coast USA and General Manager

Write a ReviewReviews (1,233)

Reviewed 11 December 2013

Oh I am so disappointed! We have always stayed at the BHH - for years. The minute you walk through the doors you are greeted with the most boring, nondescript interior that I've ever seen in a 5 star hotel. We were first put into a "newly refreshed" room that was, dare I say it, horrible. Not only did it reek because of the new (totally bland, unattractively beige) carpet, but everything and I mean EVERYTHING was a varying shade of beige and off white. You could have been in L.A., Dubai, Milwaukee - anywhere but the BHH. After we called the front desk and told them that we couldn't stay in that odorous room the young man said "oh I was in there a week ago and it was really smelly" - duh, why don't you wait until the stench clears? We were then transferred to a "classic room" which fortunately hadn't been turned into a beige fantasy. This room still retained the green and pink colors, had a great bathroom & the sitting area was really comfortable. We cannot believe that they are butchering this hotel like they did at the Hotel Bel Air. It is going to be as bland as it can possibly be, judging by what we've seen so far. Hotel personnel were still extremely courteous & prompt, but the service wasn't "crisp" any longer. I ordered cut fruit for every room service breakfast (everyday) and each piece tasted like onions, of all things! The berries were great, but someone doing the food prep was cutting onion, obviously not cleaning the knife and then using it to cut fruit! My question is, how clean is that kitchen? They did remove it from the bill, no problem, but still... ick - I don't even eat onion. I ordered a special cake from the Fountain to be served as a surprise for my husband at lunch in the Polo Lounge. No one in the restaurant knew what I was talking about (in fact when we called to delay our arrival to the restaurant by 1/2 hour, we were told that we didn't even have a reservation) until I specifically spelled it out - in front of my husband - thus spoiling any thought of a surprise. Small hiccups in service - not horrible problems by any means, but not expected. I felt so bad when I realized that the special charm of this hotel will be removed by the people who think that beige and off white is the new pink and green. I'm sure that personnel are being pushed to rent the new rooms, but why can't they keep either a floor or wing as "classic" rooms, refreshing them in the classic style? The grounds were still beautiful - it's a shame that plants don't come in beige to satisfy their designers. The Polo Lounge food was terrific, the linens in our room were wonderful, but STOP! We're not paying for bland - we're paying for history, character, color, impeccable service and wonderful food!

Room Tip: Make sure and request a "classic room" unless bland is your favorite theme.
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Terri G
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 13 December 2013

Dear Terri G,

Thank you for taking the time to review your recent experience at The Beverly Hills Hotel. We understand that interior design and color palettes are a very personal experience and although we are disappointed to hear you did not enjoy our newly refurbished rooms, your candid commentary is appreciated.

Throughout our thoughtful restoration, we have taken great care in maintaining the hotel's beloved originality and iconic design elements, and it is most concerning to know that you were not pleased with some of the changes that have taken place. As a historic building over 100 years old, property upgrades were necessary to continue to offer our guests a premier product and service experience, and remain relevant with today's luxury traveler. But the true heart and soul of this very special building is the same as it ever was, and we feel a tremendous responsibility to preserve our legendary history.

Please know that your comments regarding your dining experiences, both in your room and the Polo Lounge, have been addressed with our culinary team. It is clear that we did not meet the high expectations that our guests expect from us and this is unacceptable. Thank you for taking the time to provide us with your valuable feedback, as it is only in this way that we are able to improve upon our shortcomings and deliver service excellence to our guests.

I would welcome the opportunity to speak with you about your recent visit, and ask that you please contact me directly at the hotel if this of interest to you.

In the meantime, please allow me to add one final comment that I genuinely believe to be true; the colors in our guestrooms may be a bit different, but what will never change is our commitment to service excellence, our community, and upholding our storied heritage.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

This hotel is simply amazing and VERY expensive, everything is in immaculate, and the staff will bend over backwards to help. The deluxe and deluxe patio rooms (around $700 per night) are almost the size of junior suites and offer a extra large bathroom with a separate tub and shower, much larger than the rooms at the Four Seasons or L'Ermitage Hotel. In addition to the rooms, the pool area and restaurant are all top notch. Simply one of the best hotels in the world!

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled on business
1  Thank Mike19782009
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 December 2013

Dear Mike19782009,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at the Pink Palace. I am pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us as much as you did. And we certainly appreciate your comment about The Beverly Hills Hotel being one of the best in the world. We truly appreciate your kind words and hope you will return again soon.

Reviewed 7 December 2013

What girl wouldn't love this place? I first came here for a business event, and now I go for entertainment and leisure. It is an imaginative place and the service is top-notch excellent. I wish I could live here....forever....the moment you walk in, you know you've landed in a special place. I guess it isn't "shiny-new" glamour, but rather, an old elegance glamour, if there's such a difference. When I first came here, I was surprised at the "dowdy" feeling of it, but quickly adjusted my attitude, and fell in love. If you want to impress out of town guests, have them stay here.....and why not stay with them?

• Stayed: February 2013, travelled on business

Dear Miss C,

Thank you for taking the time to review your stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel. We too wish you could live here forever! I am glad you appreciate the history and glamour of the Pink Palace…it truly is a special place.

We greatly appreciate you recommending The Beverly Hills Hotel, as there is no greater compliment than knowing that you will encourage your friends, family and associates to visit with us. We hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 6 December 2013

This was our first stay at the Beverly Hills Hotel. We got a corner suite with an adjacent bedroom for the kids, and it perfectly suited our family’s needs. The rooms are spacious, the beds are wonderful, and we all slept great with no outside noise or disruption. The common areas are beautiful and impeccably maintained—you literally can’t find a scratch of scuff anywhere. Given that the property just celebrated its 100th anniversary, you certainly would have no idea--it has all of the good, and none of the bad, for being old! We took the kids out to the pool each early evening, and although we were the only ones crazy enough to be out there on the cool early evenings, the pool area was well staffed with a waiter and staff person to set up chairs for us. The pool and cabana area is just beautiful and large, and they pipe in Frank Sinatra and other bandstand classics below the water through a waterproof speaker system—very cool. Check in was fast and efficient, as was the valet and room service. This was some of the best room service we have ever had, and we enjoyed breakfast twice and dinner once. The rib eye rocked and was perfectly cooked, and the chopped salad was one of the best we have ever had—very finely chopped with great flavors. We booked through AMEX, so a generous breakfast credit was included each day. We have a new go-to place when we are staying in LA!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with family

Dear DavidMarino,

It was a pleasure welcoming you to the Pink Palace for the first time. I am thrilled to hear you and your family enjoyed your stay and were able to get a great night’s sleep (that is a must!). Our pool and cabana cafe were recently refurbished so it is great you were able to experience these areas. And it's great to know that you found you in-room dining experience so special. We view room service as one of the hotel's dining outlets, so it is just as important to be satisfied with the meals in your room as it is when you are dining in the Polo Lounge. It is wonderful that we are now your go-to place when staying in Los Angeles…this is our goal with each and every guest that visits with us.

We hope to see you again very soon!

Reviewed 4 December 2013

This is the 2nd time I have stayed at The Beverly Hills hotel and the whole experience goes from strength to strength. As stated in previous reviews of other properties in the area, I I have sampled a lot of the competition, I can categorically state that this is the BEST hotel in Beverly Hills. The staff are always willing to do anything to make the experience as good as it can be but know that sometimes privacy is the best policy.

We had room 259 which is a rodeo suite which was more that enough for our needs and consisted of 1.5 bathrooms, dining room, living area complete with fireplace and separate bedroom. It has a balcony which has views of Beverly Hills, downtown LA as well as a view of the pool and driveway from other parts of the room.

Special thanks must go to the lady in the gift shop, and the house car drivers who's names escape me but were willing to add that little something extra that many other establishments would not.

My only regret was that we were only able to stay for 2 nights and did not manage to make full use of all the facilities and use of the room. Many thanks to the whole team for rounding of a fantastic vacation with a short stay at the hotel in true Beverly Hills style

Room Tip: If staying in the hotel rather than a bungalow I would always request a garden view room.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
TheBeverlyHillsHotel, General Manager at The Beverly Hills Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Crimlet,

It was a pleasure welcoming you back to the Pink Palace! It puts a huge smile on my face knowing you consider us the best hotel in Beverly Hills. This is a tremendous accolade that we don't take lightly. Please know that it is our goal to live up to your expectations and provide all of our guests with the ultimate hotel experience.

I am glad you enjoyed your stay… from the room, to the service, to the overall experience. We you will be back to visit us again on your next trip to Beverly Hills…but next time for a longer stay.

Reviewed 30 November 2013

This place is very comfortable. The rooms are large with elegant furnishings. the service was top rated and the valets are very quick. Busy hotel yet relaxing. I don't know how to adequately describe this property other then it is a experience. My wife loves it because her favorite TV show was filmed here (I Love Lucy).

• Stayed: September 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear Rodney N,

Thank you for reviewing your recent stay at The Beverly Hills Hotel. Our goal is always to create a memorable experience for our guests from the moment they arrive until the moment they depart…so I am very happy to hear we were able to do this for you and your wife. And I also love I Love Lucy ... a timeless classic ... just like the hotel!

We hope to see you again in the near future.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#4 of 15 in Beverly Hills
The Beverly Hilton
The Beverly Hilton
#9 of 15 in Beverly Hills

Been to The Beverly Hills Hotel? Share your experiences!