“Absolutely Loved the Beverly Hilton”
Review of The Beverly Hilton

The Beverly Hilton
Ranked #7 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Berkeley, CA
“Absolutely Loved the Beverly Hilton”
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Step back in time by staying at this wonderful Hilton property in downtown Beverly Hills. While most of the rooms and lobby were refurbished post Merv Griffin, the hotel still feels very much the iconic mid century BH hotel it always was. Everything about the hotel oozes Rat Pack charm. You can easily imagine Marilyn in her dark sun glasses, Sammy with his cigarettes, Frank humming his favorite tune, all floating in the retro turquoise bottomed pool. If you don't like mid-century architecture, don't come here. There is lots of white white concrete, low ceilings, sleek simple-lined furniture. The pool area is charmingly dated. THANK GOODNESS they didn't touch this area much. We loved it. My husband is a Diamond Hilton Member. We booked three rooms and each of them were different and equally charming. We got a Junior Suite, which was sweet indeed. One of the rooms was pool side. REALLY authentic -- huge room with 50's furniture/design, and a small bathroom. Just like the old days. There are magnificent photos throughout the hotel -- old black and white studio and candid shots of celebrities from a bygone era. The service was very good. My only criticism is that their restaurant food needs to be upgraded. Really, there is not excuse for this sort of special property not to have better food. I exclude the breakfast buffet, however, which was wonderful. I will review the Circa 55/Trader Vics separately -- but one tip. If you can, ask for Wing to be your waiter if dining in the afternoon or evening. He is THE BEST! We would love to return to this hotel again.

Room Tip: BE specific when booking rooms -- Do you want to be poolside, have a balcony, quiet room, etc.? It...
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Kenya2010
BeverlyHilton, E-Commerce Marketing Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this review, 14 June 2012
Thank you for your fabulous review! We are thrilled you enjoyed our property and it's history with modern amenities and features. We renovated our Cabana rooms, but kept the charm of how "Old Hollywood" would play poolside. Happy your enjoyed it! We look forward to welcoming you back soon.

-The Beverly Hilton

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (616)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Balboa Island, California
Reviewed 30 May 2012

Beautiful hotel. Quick check in. Great, spacious room, beautifully furnished, in the Wilshire Tower, with view of Beverly Hills, yet no road noise from Wilshire Boulevard. Very attractive breakfast area just off the lobby. Great dinner at Trader Vic's overlooking pool area. Can't wait to go back to this hotel. Absolutely delightful.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for sharing your experience with us! We are very pleased you enjoyed your room in our spacious Wilshire Tower and experienced dining poolside at famous Trader Vic's. We look forward to welcoming you back again soon!

King of Prussia, Pennsylvania
Reviewed 29 May 2012

We were looking to finish our trip to California with a couple days in Los Angeles. After seeing a great points redemption for a Junior Suite at the Beverly Hilton, this is the hotel we went with.

When we arrived, we drove into the very large valet area. This is one area where the hotel does a great job. There are several valet attendants, so we were quickly unloaded and able to get into the hotel. Each time we needed our car, it was a quick call and we never had to wait more than a couple minutes by the time we got down from our room. Every time the valets also left us some water bottles in our car, which was a very nice touch.

Inside the hotel there is a very nice reception area. During check-in there was no line, but when we went to check out I had to wait 5 or 10 minutes for three groups taking way too long. Not sure what everyone was doing. Negotiating rates? Booking a room as a walk up? I'm never really sure what takes people so long at the desks. During check in we were welcomed as Hilton Gold members and given our welcome packet. I really only cared about the breakfast vouchers and those ended up being a great value. Both times once we got to the desk, the attendants were friendly and efficient at getting whatever we needed.

We got a Junior Suite on the third floor. Side note, why do hotels call "Junior Suites" as such. I prefer when places call them Executive Rooms or something similar. It's not a suite unless it has separate rooms. Neglecting the name, it was a very nice room. There is a large closet at the entrance with two comfy robes, a safe and plenty of hanging space. Inside the room there are windows all across the back which had a nice view down Wilshire Boulevard. Nothing too special, but probably better than inwards towards the pool. There was a nice couch, a half couch at the foot of the bed and a couple chairs. Plenty of room to relax and enjoy our time when we weren't out and about. The bathroom had a very large tub, long spacious shower and a semi-private stall for the toilet.

The room we got was at the end of a hall in a corner, which made it very quiet. But, even from the wall we shared with other guests we could not hear very much. Overall the room was of a great size and had everything we needed. The room was pretty clean. Some of the furniture was a bit scratched at the corners, but nothing had anything too noticeable. Minus a small stain on the curtains and what appeared to be a few mold spots on the bathroom ceiling, it seemed the staff did a good job of maintaining the rooms.

The breakfast coupons were good for use at Circa 55 for the breakfast buffet. The buffet selection wasn't anything too special, but was kept well stocked and everything looked fresh and tasty. The staff though here was really great though. At many buffets you'd be hard pressed to get the staff's attention, but here they did a great job of actively making sure we had everything. I was very happy with both our breakfasts here.

Overall the hotel is pretty nice. Our interactions with all the staff were great. I really liked the valet staff and the servers at the buffet were excellent. While this is just a Hilton, overall it's better than even some Waldorf's that we've stayed at. With so many hotels in LA, I might want to try some place else next time, but I definitely will keep the Beverly Hilton near the top of my list.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
davenport iowa
Reviewed 26 May 2012

Clean rooms, friendly staff. The bed was insanely comfortable, I slept like a rock each of the 5 nights I was there! Lighting wasn't so great in the bathroom for applying makeup, however, I ended up having to apply makeup on the balcony in full view of the valet!
Went down to Trader Vics for breakfast and ended up with a coffee and leaving. It was something like $25 for a VERY basic buffet! My last stay was at the Phoenician in Scottsdale last fall and for the same price buffet was like 5 times bigger and nicer.
All in all I VERY much enjoyed my stay! Location was great also!

Room Tip: I enjoyed the room with a valet view. I saw some AMAZING cars parked out there!
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
NE Ohio
Reviewed 23 May 2012

I arrived late at night at my regular hotel to find that my travel department booked me for the wrong night and the hotel was full. We found a room at the Hilton. I found the restaurant to be average for a late dinner, but good for breakfast. While I was thankful for finding a room, it was very dated and hardly worth the price. My original hotel just down the street was half the price and felt like a Westin compared to this Hilton.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled on business
Juneau, Alaska
Reviewed 21 May 2012

We (family of 3) enjoyed our stay at the Beverly Hilton. We had a small room overlooking the city. It was clean, very comfortable bed, very nice bathroom. The in-room safe lost its battery power but staff were up to fix it right away. The breakfast was incredible and the staff were wonderful especially to my young kid. The pool was nice. The fish tank was pretty cool. I decided not to try a drink at Trader Vic's... I think I rated this a 3 because of the expense...in other words, for the very high price of the room, why NOT give us free in-room coffee, free snacks. EVERYTHING had a charge to it and that is a bit frustrating (though not unexpected for a Hilton). So I do recommend this hotel IF you need to be in this area (we did) and IF you do not get sticker shock for this type of a hotel stay.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank jbrown246
Ascot, Berkshire
Reviewed 18 May 2012

Having stepped off an 11 hour flight to LA from London, we were looking forward to getting into our hotel room and chilling out. The cab ride from LAX took just 30 minutes and upon arriving we were in our room within a matter of minutes. Although there were no porters around and therefore no assistance with luggage offered, we’re used to dragging our carry-ons around, so no big deal. Given our Hilton status, we were upgraded to a junior suite on the sixth floor with great views of Beverly Hills as well as offered free internet access and free continental breakfast each morning.

The junior suite was lovely with a gorgeous marble bathroom complete with vanity sink, separate bath tub, shower and toilet and of course the usual Peter Roth Thomas shampoo and conditioner (though no sign of the lovely body wash – the one with the colourful beads in it). The bed was super comfy and we struggled to get out of it every morning. There was also a BOSE sound station in our room which allowed us to listen to some great music when we were in our room (quick hint – tune it to 101.1FM if you are into 80s pop like we are). There was the obligatory overpriced mini-bar including a separate tray with cookies, M&Ms and chips – though we didn’t feel the need to pay $10 for some candy. I have mentioned umpteen times on other hotel reviews how amazed I am at the prices some hotels want to pay for essentially a small bag of chocolate. I wonder who actually has the money to pay these prices?

Every morning we headed for breakfast armed with our continental breakfast coupons and the staff were great. For an extra $10 each we could upgrade to the full buffet so we did just that and enjoyed cooked-to-order omelettes as well as a well-stocked hot food bar which offered eggs benedict, pancakes and waffles. The breakfast room looks out over the hotel’s pool and one morning we sat out by it, which was a lovely touch.

The concierge team were great as we wanted to visit the Warner Bros studio tour but had had problems booking online owing to us being from the UK and not having a US registered credit card. They made sure our reservations were made and gave us plenty of help with directions to Burbank where the studios are located, as well as fill us in on all the other great things you can do in LA.

There is a courtesy car that will take you to Westfield (if you need to go to a mall) as well as the Golden Triangle where you’ll find Rodeo Drive and feel all Pretty Woman-esque (again, if you feel the need to visit high-end designer stores). To be honest, we didn’t take the car, we just walked everywhere, including a few miles up Santa Monica Blvd towards West Hollywood where you will find some great bars and restaurants.

The only snag with the hotel (if I had to be picky) is the car park where hotel guests still have to pay the $36/day parking charge. We only used it for 2 days, but I think they should cut their guests a break and offer them a smaller fee. After all, we had paid to stay at the hotel anyway.

Another thing is that a lot of high-end events take place at the Beverly Hilton (including the Golden Globes), so the reception area can get a little heavy with footfall when there is a event on. Some award ceremony was going on when we were there and lots of rich and famous folks were turning up in their fancy cars, handing the keys over to the guys outside to valet park them. So much so, that our cab couldn’t physically get out of the hotel drop-off/pick-up area for a good 15 minutes.

Still, the hotel is very nice, very plush and a great base to explore Beverly Hills, Bel Air, Sunset Blvd, WeHo and Hollywood. I highly recommend it.

Room Tip: Ask for a junior suite on a high floor - they have the best views
  • Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
BeverlyHilton, E-Commerce Marketing Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this review, 22 May 2012
Thank you for sharing your experience. We are happy that you enjoyed our convenient location and concierge services. We hope you will join us again soon!

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
Luxe Rodeo Drive Hotel
#5 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Peninsula Beverly Hills
#2 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Central L.A
Sofitel Los Angeles at Beverly Hills

Been to The Beverly Hilton? Share your experiences!