“Difficult to recommend with exception to price and location”
Review of The Beverly Hilton

The Beverly Hilton
Ranked #9 of 15 Hotels in Beverly Hills
Reviewed 21 February 2014

A somewhat well overdue review of the Beverly Hilton and one that must be prefaced by the acknowledgment that it has been well over twelve months since having stayed at this truly disappointing establishment - here's hoping standards have improved in the interim.

There was a time in the US when standards of service and hospitality excelled, one was genuinely made to feel welcome and there was an understanding of the spirit that made America great and appreciation as to why this country has become the beacon for so many seeking a better way of life. The foundation of greatness undoubtedly remains but the sense of unquestionable pride has faded in recent years. Perhaps we've all become a little too self obsessed in these days of mass social narcissism or perhaps I am simply being over analytical of what can be succinctly summated as nothing more than bad service. Happy to concede the later if it upsets anyone's sense of patronage.

Social issues aside, the purpose of this review was intended as a critique of the Beverly Hilton. A significant hotel with a noteworthy history that seems to have mostly been undercapitalised with exception to a scattering of black and white celebrity prints amongst the public spaces. It presents impressively and standards of accommodation are clean and comfortable. Where it falls short is in the service provided across all levels of staff.

Whether it be seeking a light dinner at the lobby restaurant having endured a 20 hour flight only to be repeatedly ignored by passing staff (in the end I obtained my own menu from the bar - the bar attendant being equally dismissive) or such simplicities as offering to provide a newspaper to the room which did not arrive for two days despite a follow up request and then receiving multiple copies on the third.

And then there is my ultimate annoyance towards staff and humanity in general, waiting patiently and courtesy at reception for service only to have another guest arrive later and be served first. Whilst I cannot account for the rudeness of fellow guests (and the Beverly Hilton seems to attract a disproportionate number of such) I do hold responsible the unprofessionalism of hotel staff who should be better aware of the needs of all guests and attend efficiently to those who are actually providing them the courtesy of waiting as distinct form those who simply demand service as it suits their needs.

Admittedly, such circumstances are not a rarity as over the years I have found myself in the unfortunate position of being relatively young (with emphasis on the word relative) to many of the guests who frequent the establishments I have chosen to stay and also to have a personality and demeanour that tends towards politeness and courtesy as distinct from pushiness and arrogance. As a result I often find myself being overlooked whilst staff jump to the attention of more senior and assertive guests. Obviously a shortcoming on my behalf but if you have a predisposition towards rudeness then it's quite possible your experience at the Hilton will surpass mine.

Upon reflection I have become somewhat tired of writing this review and mentally recounting the experience. There is very little likelihood I would ever stay at the Beverly Hilton again, despite the hotel managers attempts at redemption and personal assurance to make good on past failings. How disappointing that such courteous professionalism only arises subsequent to one's departure.

Of final note, I feel obligated to provide a quick overview of the breakfast facilities. Frustratingly I am struggling to find the appropriate adjectives but if I were to say that the food was truly awful, verging on the inedible, it would be a close approximation to the foul stodge masquerading as food that was presented before me. As to be expected, service was also astonishingly poor, even a basic attempt to request a proper cup of coffee took over twenty minutes before a staff member took notice. It should have served as a warning, what was eventually served was undrinkable.

The Beverly Hilton will of course survive despite itself and continue to attract a clientele whose concept of manners is notably deficient and for which such levels of service are inconsequential. For those who expect a higher standard of hospitality and see virtue in treating others in a manner in which one seeks to be treated then it is difficult to recommend this hotel.

• Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
2  Thank Aleck D
BeverlyHilton, Public Relations Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Aleck, thank you for taking the time to write such as comprehensive review of your stay with us. Your feedback is very important to us. We hope you will accept our most sincere apologies for any inconvenience and less than exceptional service you experienced during your stay. We truly regret to hear that we were not able to meet you expectations, but we have read all of your comments and will certainly keep them in mind as we continuously strive to improve our guests’ experience.

Write a ReviewReviews (3,854)

Reviewed 19 February 2014

There are a number of hotels with Beverly Hills in the title
The Beverly Hills Hilton is the one to miss
It's rooms are dark and dingy... The concierge was efficient but not warm
The price was for a 5 star that delivered 2 stars
I think by now you have gathered I didn't like it
Also they put me in a room that was beside a party......not very considerate

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Heartake
BeverlyHilton, Public Relations Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 20 February 2014

Thank you for sharing this feedback with us. We appreciate your honest input and regret you were disappointed with your stay. Please accept our apologies for any inconvenience you may have experienced due to the even on property. We will contact you in a private message to resolve the challenge.

Reviewed 19 February 2014 via mobile

Good service room, entertainment area and shopping with a range of options. Attention to guests and a excellent cuisine. Amazing place and polited people, food and mall. Near to highways, It was Excelent!

Stayed: December 2013, travelled with family
BeverlyHilton, Public Relations Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 24 February 2014

Thank you for your comments. We are very glad you found the hotel conveniently located and had a pleasant stay all around. We hope to welcome you back again if your travels bring you to the area.

Reviewed 18 February 2014

We stay here a lot, because it is inexpensive and very central. The valets are very quick and polite. The staff at reception is just fine, I don't expect to be besties with them but sometimes you get a very cold receptionist. The rooms are clean (not 100% but fine). The bar was very bad. I had to return my drink because it was really wrong. Also, the media room, costs much more than a kinkos. I have never been to a hotel where they don't print for you. We were there about 4 times now and once had a suite, which was very pretty, closer to the reception. This last time it was all the way back. The shower head was very hard and it opened my necklace clasp. And the fitness center is nice and well equipped. A little bit warm, though. Ah, the breakfast is nice. You can get omelettes, fried eggs, fresh fruit, etc.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
BeverlyHilton, Public Relations Manager at The Beverly Hilton, responded to this reviewResponded 18 February 2014

Thank you for your continued patronage and for taking the time to write this review. We appreciate you sharing your positive experiences as well as highlighting areas where we can make improvements. Guest feedback is very important to us. We hope you will choose to stay with us again when your travels bring you back to the area.

Reviewed 16 February 2014

I stay here for the spacious balconies and the history... I have good memories of this hotel over the years. The rooms are lovely- although there were a few design flaws --eg- each light had to be turned on individually, no main switches- except at the door; also, the bathtub is challenging to climb into if you are not tall- or if you are perhaps not sure-footed (I'm a flexible 5'2" and had to straddle my way climbing into the tub/shower!) This seems like a poor choice of design in this modern world of accessible hotel rooms.

My work colleague had a walk in shower. Her room had a king bed and I had two doubles. If you think you might have trouble in the bath- ask ahead at check in.

Love the restaurant- had a business breakfast and it was the perfect setting. Breakfast was yummy - chicken sausage gets the thumbs up!

Room Tip: Get a room with a balcony in the tower- good views of the city. ** if you are short, or have flexibi...
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business

We are delighted to hear that you have good memories of The Beverly Hilton! Thank you for staying with us and taking the time to write this review. To meet the different needs of our guests we offer bathrooms with bathtubs or walk-in showers. We are happy to accommodate request for a specific bathroom type to the best of our abilities. We are glad you enjoyed your stay overall and hope to welcome you back.

Reviewed 15 February 2014

Over the past 12 years, I have been privileged to stay in at least 15 five-star hotels in the LA Region, from Pasadena to Beverly Hills to beach cities like Santa Monica and Marina Del Rey. I have stayed at the Beverly Hilton about a half dozen times. it falls short in many ways. For one, they're still charging for internet which seems tacky given the price of rooms. Check in is small and not very friendly. In fact, service overall is pretty disappointing with the exception of the valet parking guys who are always excellent. The rooms are tiny and pedestrian ... Nothing special or comfortable and the beds are pretty small if you get a standard room. The gym may well be the worst of the lux hotels; it's cramped and in the basement. Room service scores about a B and the bar is weak with no fun vibe. I keep having to remember that it's a Hilton, the most corporate of the lux hotels and the least friendly ... Bottom line: it's no Four Seasons.... Or Ritz Carlton... Or Fairmont... It's even weaker than La's W And Hyatt chains...

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled on business
2  Thank stevereviews

Thank you for your continuous patronage. We regret to hear that we were not able to live up to your expectations. We appreciate your feedback and will note the opportunities for improvements you mentioned. We hope you will give us another opportunity to provide you with an overall better experience.

Reviewed 13 February 2014

This is a very large and interesting hotel. I wouldn't call it luxury, boutique or anything that special, but it serves it's purpose. It is walking distance from all the shopping and dining of Beverly Hills and is pretty easy to get to from the freeway. Trader Vic's is nice and I did enjoy having a few drinks by the pool. Rooms were OK, but we didn't spend much time inside as we wanted to enjoy the LA weather.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple

Thank you very much for taking the time to write a review of your recent stay at The Beverly Hilton. We are glad you enjoyed poolside cocktails at Trader Vic’s Lounge and the hotel’s convenient location. We hope you will choose to stay with us again to enjoy the L.A. weather.

Also consider these accommodations in or near Beverly Hills
SIXTY Beverly Hills
SIXTY Beverly Hills
#8 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Beverly Hills
Beverly Wilshire Beverly Hills (A Four Seasons Hotel)
The Beverly Hills Hotel
The Beverly Hills Hotel
#1 of 15 in Beverly Hills
Hollywood
The Hollywood Roosevelt
The Hollywood Roosevelt
#15 of 358 in Los Angeles

Been to The Beverly Hilton? Share your experiences!