The hotel is very small and basic, 'boutique' in a certain sense of the word (not the good sense).
The size of the rooms are average for a met city. The room and bathroom was clean and I loved the white marble sink tops . Water pressure and heater was good. The room was a little too dark when we needed to pack but it seems to be part of the ambience. WIFI costs USD10/day, but they have a laptop at their counter for guests use, but you have to stand to use it. The location is good if you want to be in Beverly Hills, it's a short walk to Rodeo Drive and many renown restaurants.
My partner and I kept bumping our shins into the edge of the bed which sticks out beyond the size of the mattress. I have a huge cut now from walking into it and they really should do something about that before someone sues. The toiletries were not fully topped up every day(even though we tipped housekeeping daily).
We had to walk down 8 floors on our 2nd day as the elevators were not working.
I heard the manager serving another guest on the day I was leaving and it sounded like he was giving them good service and an upgrade, sadly that was not the case for all the staff. Our check-in staff seemed to have an 'attitude' and were rather curt and impatient although they were not directly rude. This made us feel they were insincere in their service. Our bellman on the last day was good and friendly (although he did drop one of our bags). But overall their staff need training in how to be more professional and 'genuine' so as to make guests feel welcome and comfortable at their hotel.
They do not have very good knowledge of their own hotel, as we spent 2 days asking for a universal adaptor only to find one in the mini-bar on the 3rd day after we had already gone out to get one! The staff did make an effort to offer to send someone to Rite-Aid for a fee though, but said it cost USD38 at Rite Aid! We got one at K-Mart for USD14.
None of the staff seemed to know there even was one for sale in the room. Strange.
In the mini bar price list, theirs was listed as USD25 but in their hotel folder it was listed under sundries for much cheaper.
An unhappy guest heard me mention this to the manager and she yelled that there were inconsistencies in the food prices published in the hotel folder. Speaking of which, we were charged USD20 for 2 cups of coffee.
We went to a top restaurant in the BH area and the manager gave us a look when we mentioned we were staying at the hotel and recommended a few other hotels to us for future instead. Clearly their reputation precedes them.
Overall they were just OK for our 5 night stay because we had gotten a good deal (USD152/night). We will only stay there again if
a) the reviews improve
b) the prices are low
c) because of their good location
If not we might try other hotels in the area with a better reputation. I believe that paying more at another hotel may give us better value after all.
With that said, I do hope they improve so as not to waste a good location and name. A 'chic designed' hotel is not enough to live up to what we expect from the 'Thompson' brand.
- Official Description (provided by the hotel):
- California Cool meets East Coast sophistication at this erudite respite located in the glamorous Los Angeles enclave, minutes from Rodeo Drive boutiques and Hollywood power-playgrounds. The International Style-designed SIXTY Beverly Hills is a serene-but-scene-stealing outpost featuring luxurious comforts like bespoke furnishings, artfully designed bedroom suites and a gallery of Hollywood-evocative imagery. A cinematic Above SIXTY Beverly Hills rooftop bar and outdoor poolside lounge provide balmy zephyrs and panoramic views of L.A.'S fabled canyons while the tony-but-fuss-free Caulfield's Bar and Dining Room is the all-hours spot for casual New American cuisine comforts. SIXTY Beverly hills is part of SIXTY Hotels, the new, innovative brand of luxury inns in New York, Los Angeles, with Miami debuting soon-ish. ... more less
- Reservation Options:
- TripAdvisor is proud to partner with Expedia, Booking.com, Travel Republic (UK), Hotels.com, Evoline ltd, Ebookers, Cancelon, 5viajes2012 S.L. and HotelsClick so you can book your SIXTY Beverly Hills reservations with confidence. We help millions of travellers each month to find the perfect hotel for both holiday and business trips, always with the best discounts and special offers.
- Also Known As:
- Thompson Hotel Beverly Hills
- Beverly Hills Thompson Hotel