“Think Carefully what you want”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harau
Abdi Homestay, Ikbal & Noni
Sydney, Australia
“Think Carefully what you want”
Reviewed 24 August 2012

Abdi home stay will not be everyone’s cup of tea. The lack of electricity and kero lamps may be romantic for some while others may not appreciate the basic nature of the accommodation. There are 4 cottages of which we booked 3. Only one had a western toilet. There were no hooks or tables in the bathroom on which to hang clothes or put a wash bag. The rooms were not particularly large. There was only one towel available for two people. We had to ask for toilet paper. The cottages had a small balcony, but only one chair was provided. We had a meal which was nice, but nothing to rave about. There is no restaurant, we just had the meal on a table outside our bungalow, but not enough chairs could be found for all 6 of us. We realised later that the person we had booked the accommodation through, Jack of Bagoes Cafe, Lake Maninjau had ripped us off by charging us for the meal in his fee and then telling us we had to pay for the meal ourselves - pity I didn’t think to check the written agreement for he also cheated us at our Lake Maninjau accommodation. There was a hot water flask for tea and coffee at 2 of the 3 cottages, but only one tin of tea, coffee and sugar so you had to check which cottage had it last. The sheer cliff views at Abdi are good, but although there was heavy rain overnight, the water fall at the back was ever only a dribble. As with most of Indonesia (and other SE Asian countries) there is rubbish everywhere. You get use to it, but even after years of travel around SE Asia it is still sometimes hard to comprehend - the small pond outside our cottage could have looked very nice except for the plastic bags and other rubbish. Ikbal who owns Abdi tries too hard to relate to the tourists, although I can imagine he’s a hit with teenage and 20 something girls - for our middle aged party however he was a little grating. My wife and I often go camping where there is no electricity or running water and so the very basic nature of the accommodation did not worry us, but we feel there is so much lost potential - if only there was a table or hooks in the bathroom, if only there was a towel and chair for every guest, if only the bathrooms were cleaner, if only there was toilet paper ..... The surrounding area is nice, especially the sheer cliffs, but not world heritage stuff. I and another in my party went for short walk which was good. We visited the waterfalls. There was no one there, but there is evidence that at times it must get quite busy. The waterfalls are nice, but the swimming pools below are quite shallow and the two that I entered were quite cold (probably depends on time of year) and the bottoms were quite stoney and difficult to walk in. I would advise anyone contemplating staying here to consider carefully the nature of the accommodation.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
7 Thank arthurs5

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (15)
  • Indonesian first
New Delhi, India
Reviewed 20 August 2012

A very pleasant place to spend some time. Cabins are clean but simple. The homemade food is excellent. You can go on a walk with the owner or his brother it is something you should definitely do. It is a great way to explore the area.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled as a couple
holland
Reviewed 25 May 2012

I spent 3 night at abdi home stay and loved every minute of it, ikbal his wife noni and Ricky are just the most friendliest people ,we were made to feel at home straight away noni's cooking is delicious .
At abdi you go back to basic there in know electricity .in the evening your oil lamp makes it just perfect to sit back and enjoy , we spent our evenings talking/laughing to ikbal and ricky , watching the sun go down and the moon come up, writing in our log books and just enjoying the piece and quite this place has to offer.
You just have to spend a couple of night here to understand what a magical place this is

• Stayed May 2012, travelled with friends
The Hague, The Netherlands
Reviewed 27 March 2012

In February 2012 we visited Sumatra. We made a tour over the island and slept in several hotels. Some of them rather luxurious. It was a wonderful trip!
But the most special experience was our stay in Abdi Homestay.
Not a luxurious hotel but a original self-build Batak-house between the mountains and the sawa’s. With a bed, a cold-water tap and a toilet. And with Iqbal, the most sympathetic hotel owner you can imagine.
When we arrived he brought us with his motor cycle to the house and Noni, his wife, prepared a very nice meal for us. In the evening we enjoyed the sunset, what a nice view, what a nature! When it was dark we had the light of romantic oil lamps.
In the morning, after the personal breakfast-service of Noni, Iqbal showed us the nature of the Harau area, with the mountains, the water falls and the impressive nature.
Never we were so close to Sumatra, the life on Sumatra and the nature of Sumatra then we were the guests of Iqbal and Noni. I hope we have the opportunity to visit this beautiful island again, then we’ll surely sleep again in Abdi Homestay!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Marcel B
Chengde, China
Reviewed 6 February 2012

I spend a month traveling in Sumatra and ended with several days stay in Harau Valley (I initially intended on staying for just a day or two). The scenery in the area is beautiful and there are lots of options for great walks, treks, and motorcycle rides.

As for Abdi's homestay, it was a fantastic place to stay. It is small and personal. Ikbal and Noni will be around to help you and feed you and introduce you to other guests. The rooms look right onto the valley which is tranquil (although there is, of course, the obligatory mosque call-to-prayer in the background every now and then). There is NO electricity, but I think this adds to the atmosphere. At night, it got me out of my room and chatting/playing games/star gazing with fellow guests.

I definitely recommend the Harau Valley and Abdi's Homestay if you are planing on visiting Bukittinggi or Padang.

Room Tip: The rooms with an upper level have a little balcony and are very nice.
  • Stayed January 2012, travelled solo
Swindon, United Kingdom
Reviewed 25 July 2011

Okay, so after many good words about Ikbal and Non's homestay within Harau Valley, I decided to include a visit within my 9 days around West Sumatra.... very good contact with Ikbal via sms and also facebook.
Arrived and met by Ikbal at the "gate" to the valley..... i went with intention of staying just two nights but left after 4 nights!!! Perfect, wonderful Harau Valley, walking, spending time with Ikbal on his m/bike and another day with one of his friends. So peaceful and the walks were out of this world. I stayed in the middle bungalow (of three) for my duration, a spacious 2 storey building made from local materials. Three meals a day supplied by Ikbal and Noni (Noni's food is wonderful)... hot water in a flask per bungalow so you can make your own tea and coffee (both supplied) whenever you want. Sitting on the porched area at night talking to them and learning from each other. Perfect wonderful and super cheap... and what sunsets!!!! WOW.... each bungalow has it's own Mandi (mine had a western toilet) with "throw over" washing facilities. And i was even given my own towel to use for my visit. Outstanding service from a local family who have taken the initiative and providing a superb service to travellers...... very well priced too.
Waken up to the sound of chickens running around your bungalow or the cows chewing at the grass!!!!!! No electricity at all - storm lamps and candles - but this wasn't a problem for me, just make sure your phones etc are fully charged, local Waurngs 5 minutes walk will oblige if you need anything charged up.

Room Tip: contact Ikbal before going there .
  • Stayed April 2011, travelled solo
2 Thank donnie1965
Also consider these accommodations in or near Harau
Novotel Bukittinggi
#3 of 16 in Bukittinggi
Parai Bukit Tinggi Resort
Parai Bukit Tinggi Resort
#10 of 16 in Bukittinggi

Been to Abdi Homestay, Ikbal & Noni? Share your experiences!