“awesome place to stay”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Harau
Abdi Homestay, Ikbal & Noni
Reviewed 4 June 2013

The friendly staff came and met me on the road and had an awesome dinner waiting for me.
There is no electricity and you can hear the waterfall and stream trickle by the property as you sleep at night. I slept better there than i have in months.
I felt totally secure with my gear, all the employees are family and they work really hard at keeping the place clean comfortable and secure.
The air is clean! it feels so good to breath in fresh air.
Defiantly a great escape from the the hectic bustle of Sumatran towns

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo
2  Thank anthony b

Reviewed 2 April 2013

I did not stay here... but I came here with a friend to look for a guide friend to take us up the Harau cliffs.

We had lunch and had a visit of the chalets available. They were nice and rustic. I would have stayed here if I wasn't staying with a friend already. The bedroom and bathroom were really nice.

The guide friend took us up the cliff where we could enjoy the panoramic view of the Harau Valley. I wished we had time to go through the full U range of the cliff.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank JoshShoeString
Reviewed 4 March 2013

The 5 of us were (too) used to gadgets, even when traveling. I already warned my friends that we were going to a secluded place where there are no electricity, and they were all up for the challenge. Finding the place was difficult since Ikbal purposely didn't put any sign on the main road. We drove all the way to the Lembah Harau Nature Reserve before realizing we were lost, plus the cellphone reception there was very bad. Fortunately, we were able to make a call then one of Ikbal relatives came and pick us up.

Our first reaction when arriving was: WOW. All of us are lost for words. The peaceful serenity of the place, the gigantic valley behind us, soft sounds of waterfall from the distance, crickets and toads singing, and endless sky with thousands of stars above our heads. Ricky prepared a bonfire and we ended the night eating barbecued corn while chit-chatting around the bonfire. Before coming here, our first plan was only to stay the night and leave after breakfast. But all of us were sold, and we decided to stay longer.

In the morning, we explored the area while waiting for breakfast to be served. We took a short walk to the small waterfall and the rice paddies. After breakfast, we asked Ricky to accompany us to the big waterfalls. It was a fun 2 hours walk, and the secluded waterfall is truly amazing. Finally, we had to leave Abdi Homestay around 2pm with much regret for not being able to stay longer.

Our only complain is that they don't put price on anything. When asked, Ricky only advise us to pay with what we think was worth, even for the additional room *facepalm*. I'm sure Ikbal and the family are far from materialistic, but it got us to think whether we paid too little or too much.

Also, you can ask Ikbal's family to charge your gadget on the main house (not very near). Most of the houses there do have electricity, but the homestay don't, to maintain its "back to nature" concept. But we ended up not touching our gadgets the whole time (except when we look at the stars, we use astronomy apps to see which constellation is which).

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with friends
1  Thank cyanides
Reviewed 23 February 2013

Its a plan 8 days trip in west sumatra, Harau Valley is my second stay in Sumatra. Well,very warm welcome from Ewal,Ikbal cousin,a tourguide,with a cup of hot tea,after 7 hours journey from Bungus. Introduction from all the family Ikbal and Noni,Ricky. Family run business. Charming People is good for a start.Its true they are. First night in the top level of the bungalow, very cooling atmosphere. Great view of the sawah Padi Field and high waterfall. I was serve a dinner by Noni's cooking. Tempeh Coconut gravy with rice. Had a chit chat with Ricky and Ikbal. Very Friendly welcome from everyone,likes a family.Walk to Four Waterfall treks with Ewal the next morning. Very Beautiful Waterfall to swim and theres some shops around.Its best in the weekend though,more shops will open. Second night, I went to Ricky Place for Quran reading with his father and a ride to a small warung house for gado-gado.Gravy is delicious eventhough it replace with maggi instead of lontong.Its a great Place to start your Travel in Sumatra. Meet the charming people in Sumatra. Its a worthwhile trip to Harau.

Room Tip: Family bungalow with the top floor is the best. Weekend trip is much better.
  • Stayed: February 2013, travelled solo
Reviewed 1 February 2013

If you like rock climbing and/or walking and living in a basic wooden hut with no electricity (oil lamps provided) and cold water, with one side backing on to a rock cliff and the other looking over padi fields, then this place could be for you. All meals can be prepared by your very amicable host and his wife. These are basic Indonesian fare. Hot water,tea and coffee are provided gratis.

Trips in the surrounding area can be organised by Ikbal for you.

I think that we like our nature a little more Senior friendly as in Tankahan and Bukit Lawang but this should not deter you if you like the sound of the above, after all nowhere is everybody's cup of tea.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple
4  Thank Jacko070
Reviewed 28 December 2012

I stayed on this lodge only for one night on December 2012. Like many other lodge and located in deep of Indonesia village, they had single bed and clean bathroom, one good point for this lodge. Also, Riki and his friends, The waiters who served us during that moment were very friendly and nice. You can ask for any kind of reasonable meal and drink and they will feed your wish. I like that part. In night time, kerosene lamp will be the only source of light (besides moon and stars), and served kinda romantic atmosphere, but beware as there is very limited electricity, you should watch your battery for cellphone and camera carefully!

• Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
3  Thank AnziG11
Reviewed 20 December 2012

Totally an AWESOME place! owned and managed by a local family. Uda Ikbal dan Uni Noni. Very friendly people! Helpful and informative.

They have 5 rooms now. the new 4 bungalows are all facing the rice paddies and the valleys in the background. all bungalows have no electricity which is very nice!!! They will soon have a common room somewhere near the bungalows, where you can charge your gadget.

The indonesian style bathroom is big and clean. no hot water. the water is cold but nice cold. it goes with sitting (western) toilet.the bathrooms is sort of half open air bathrooms.

Unlimited access to tea and coffee. B'fast is not included, but you can order the meals (b'fast to dinner time) without even worry that you will pay an overpriced meals. totally a good deal.

This place is totally paradise. Great location, you can see and hear the waterfall which located near the homestay. Best budget homestay in Harau Valley, West Sumatra or even in Indonesia! Totally designed for travelers who love nature. and best of all, backpackers friendly.

Stayed here for two nights. Will definitely stay some time in the future for 1 week or more.

Room Tip: the first bungalow from the entrance is not facing the rice paddies. All other bungalow are. some ha...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled with friends
8  Thank iammariza

Been to Abdi Homestay, Ikbal & Noni? Share your experiences!