“Quite a surprise!”

Cuisines: Mexican
Rancho Cucamonga, California
“Quite a surprise!”
Reviewed 6 August 2014

After researching Big Bear restaurants on Trip Advisor, we decided to give this place a try. Upon arrival, we were somewhat put off by the exterior appearance. It is a VERY old building, but based on the reviews, we ventured inside anyway. The interior, though somewhat better than the outside, was stuck in time and cluttered. But again, because of the TA reviews and the A rating from San Bernardino County Health we stayed.

Service here is friendly. chips and salsa were so-so, but the Cocido was wonderful! I will definitely return and try more of their soups. My husband had the chicken enchilada. It was standard fare. Good but not great.

We were so pleased with the Cocido that I decided to order some Tamils to go. I tried 4 varieties. All of the savory ones were tasty. The sweet tamale, which was pineapple based, was too sweet for both of us.

If you are adventuresome, and if you love soups like I do, give them a try.

• Visited July 2014
1 Thank SrGrammyLinda

Big Bear Lake, California
“GREAT MEXICAN FOOD IN THE SAN BERNARDINO MOUNTAINS”
Reviewed 18 November 2013

My wife and I have driven by this place for several years but never took the time to stop by. From the outside, it is nothing special as it is in one of the oldest buildings in Big Bear City (it has been a bar, restaurant, and many other businesses over the years). The interior is also nothing special as it is a very old building and it appears that little to no money has been spent on the decor. The food however, is very good and there are many unique mexican specialties on their menu or on the specials board that you will not find anywhere else. We had a long chat with the owner about the special soups on their specials board and she stated that during the winter months they have even more types of soup and they often times sell out by noon each day. They have an "A" rating from the San Bernardino County Health Dept and everything is homemade and made to order. Your meal will take a little bit longer to receive than in your average restaurant but that is because they are making your meal to your specifications when you order it instead of making much of the meal hours or days ahead. My wife and I were both very happy with the dishes we had and my wife intends to come back regularly to sample the many soups and other specials they have each week. I highly recommend this restaurant if you want good and unique mexican food during your visit to the Big Bear Valley.

• Visited November 2013
1 Thank Steven C
Fallbrook, CA
“Unexpected happiness”
Reviewed 25 February 2013

It looked like the perfect "hole in the wall" type of homemade establishment. We were served stale tortilla chips and underwhelming salsa so we were a bit nervous about the food. Well, the food was unbelievably good. I got the special "Spicy Beef" which was in a green sauce with lots of black pepper and I am still craving it. The boys got crispy tacos which were very good and my Sis got a Carne Asada Burrito that fed her 2 more meals but it wasn't just big...it was tasty!

• Visited February 2013
2 Thank Onecrazykitty
Norwalk
“The Seafood Enchilada was to die for!”
Reviewed 29 August 2012

It was pretty busy but the servers were still there for a smile and very attentive to our group of 5. I had to take my plate home and enjoyed it the next day for lunch. Great place for margaritas!

Visited August 2012
2 Thank WKDFIRO
Glasgow, United Kingdom
“Food to go ?”
Reviewed 21 July 2012

Service slow food was average order was wrong in parts

Visited April 2012