“Meh. Better for family with young kids than us.”
Review of Pirate Ship Tours

Pirate Ship Tours
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Las Vegas
45 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 925 helpful votes
“Meh. Better for family with young kids than us.”
Reviewed 7 October 2013

There is a lot of hokey here, but $19 for 90 minute tour is worth it despite many things that are underwhelming or outright annoying. For non-children, this attraction would be a better value if the soundtrack wasn’t 90% corny/cliché and one could enjoy a proper bevy. Although it was my first time, I’ll bet I’m more sick of the music selections they play than the crew who has to listen to them on each and every trip! It also appears to be less music than they need, since we heard the same irritating songs we started with as we return. BTW: I never knew how much I dislike Jimmy Buffet until this voyage. “Cheese-Cheesy in Paradise!” The music selections have all the creativity and grace of putting Miracle Whip on a Corned-beef-on-Rye from Canter’s Deli.

The boat is not well kept. The owners are clearly careless about what weather can do to raw wood, which makes me wonder what else they might neglect. I have no doubt that she is sea-worthy, but she is way overdue for some paint and quite a bit of other cosmetic repair. Pealing plywood and hanging brackets (that should be screwed to the hull like all the others) do not make the ship look “battle-worn” – they look more like sloth. Details about the boat ride state that there is a “full bar” on board, but that’s a bit like saying that Denny’s serves steaks. They might – might! -- be able to make a Martini, but definitely not a Negroni. Wine and beer? Wine lovers, I suggest the Bud lite (EEEYuck!). They refused to allow me to drink my 2003 Ch. Gloria, especially from non-plastic! See that ice chest? That’s the bar; look inside. See? It’s full. We have a full bar!

The ride was smooth but breezy and there are no sails. The boat is rather small, seating maybe 20 adults, max. The boat is the boat from the movie “Time Bandits.” There is some decent history of Big Bear to be heard from the “captain” and there was a set up meeting with the son of Mel Blanc at his lakeside cabin. I will assume this is not guaranteed, since son-of-Mel can’t possible be there all the time. (It’s a damn shame what son-of-Mel and Co. have done to the greatest cartoon character ever: Bugs Bunny.)

FYI: Reservations during low season are subject to cancel.

A better option might be to rent a skiff ($60-70 for 4 hours) or pontoon (if you're a big party) from the same people/marina and have a picnic while you're out. You lose the history lesson, but there's a lot possibilities on your own.

Visited October 2013
2 Thank hoohoolian

San Diego, California
10 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 22 helpful votes
“Great time and very informative!!”
Reviewed 15 July 2013

We needed something to do on a Sunday afternoon on the Lake. It was very fun and the Captain really knows his stuff about Big Bear and the Lake! The first mate is a hoot, and she and the Captain made the hour and a half a great time taking us to all the highlights of the area. Even having a water gun fight with some of the locals. He takes you up to Mel Blanc's sons' home and he shouts out to you in his father's best Bugs Bunny voice!
They serve drinks and cocktails if you want to purchase them.
I would only say one thing about the price of $19.00 per person may be a little high, but that's just me!

Visited July 2013
Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 10 helpful votes
“Lots of fun, great views, good value”
Reviewed 23 June 2013

Excellent for families, it was about 2 hours, great for the kids, didn't get boring at all. Captain stopped by where the guy who does the voice for Bugs Bunny lives. We got a good laugh. Value is good and I will highly recommend it.

Visited May 2013
california
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Cute little trip--excellent crew!”
Reviewed 17 June 2013 via mobile

This was such a cute little trip! The crew was great at entertaining the little ones and the captain was very knowledgable in Big Bear's history! We loved it and would do it again! Just a tip- children will be placed in life jackets so if you have your own, make sure to bring them! :)

Visited June 2013
2 Thank lovetotravel1028
Hollywood
3 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 8 helpful votes
“A fun and funny pirate's life!”
Reviewed 29 September 2011

The Pirate Ship Tour in Big Bear was the highlight of our weekend trip. Having never been to Big Bear Lake before we were eager to see the lake and to know it's history. The pirate ship ride was fun and the tour guide/boat captain (in costume) was funny. It was just hokey enough to be informative and fun. The views from the lake were spectacular.

Visited September 2011