“A Truly Memorable Experience!!!”

and 1 more site!
Cathy's Country Cottages
Ranked #1 of 1 Hotels in Big Bear City
Riverside, California, United States
“A Truly Memorable Experience!!!”
Reviewed 11 April 2012

My wife and I have been married for five years. Between our children and my career.... Getting away has not been an option. My mother in law offered to babysit and my wife and I finally took her up on the offer.

We did not have much time to research our accommodations. Based on reviews that we read, we elected to try out Cathy's Cottages. We did not have reservations and were hoping that there would be a vacancy.

We drove up and very easily found the office at the other location where you check in. The person who checked us in was very friendly and genuinely cared about making sure it was a special stay for us. He gave us a great deal and even a bottle of sparkling apple cider....

We made the short drive to the actual cottages. The grounds were clean and well maintained. The neighborhood was comfortable with a very casual feel. There is a circle k on the corner which was good to know in case we forgot anything.

We stayed in room 225. We walked in and were immediately excited. The jacuzzi tub is right as you walk in....the bed was King sized... There was a cute mini fridge and microwave.... The shower was nice sized with two shower heads. The room was very clean and well maintained. There was a large variety pack of toiletries waiting in the bathroom. The bathroom had a heat lamp that made the whole bathroom red.... The fireplace ran on gas....no firewood required. The bed was very comfortable.

To sum it all up... We were very impressed and are planning to go back in a few weeks.... The staff did an excellent job in making sure that our stay( albeit a very short one) was a very memorable one. My wife and I really needed this escape from reality... I highly recommend Cathy's cottages to anyone looking to leave the world below for a while.

• Stayed April 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank David A
PBBigBear, Owner at Cathy's Country Cottages, responded to this review, 2 November 2012
Thank you for making our day be letting us know you had a good getaway. When we built the first Jacuzzi Fireplace Honeymoon Cottages in 1985, we felt that marriage is wonderful, but tough sometimes and every couple needs to get back on a honeymoon regularly. We have been well rewarded by folks like you having a good stay together!

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (6)
Redondo Beach, California
Reviewed 6 April 2012

For my husbands 50th birthday we just wanted to get far enough away to feel like we were really going somewhere since we live in a pretty amazing place - in South Redondo Beach. I started looking and found what sounded like it was too good to be true... a little cottage in the mountains of Big Bear that had a King size bed (my husband is 6'2" and burly) a jacuzzi tub that faced the fireplace and tv... a little refrigerator, with microwave, coffee maker, toaster and plates & silverware! I can honestly say after traveling many places that this was a total pleasant surprise! It was so perfect!! Far exceeding my expectations Cathy's Cottages was very impressive. Not only did we BOTH fit in the tub side by side and we able to enjoy the fire and watch TV... we really didn't ever have to leave if we didn't want to because they supplied everything except the food! And actually... when you check in it's actually at a different location down the road and the guys at the front desk were really sweet and helpful - one of them was selling girl scout cookies for his daughter (because he bought 20 boxes himself!) so we DID get food (I bought a box)! They also sell nice little candles if you want to get really saucy which brings me to my next review.... Saucy Mama's there in the village! But this place is a GEM!!!! We made our reservations online and saved a bunch, we will for sure be back!!! Cottage #2 at Cathy's Cottages in Big Bear is on our list of quick, affordable and romantic get aways!

Room Tip: Cottage #2 was where we stayed... I think there are 3 individual cottages and I would stay in any of...
  • Stayed March 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 42love2travel
Thank you for letting others know you enjoyed your stay. We especially love to hear that! After doing this 32 years, we want only the best experiences for our guests. You mentioned the size of the Jacuzzi tub and how you both fit side by side. I am proud of those and not sure they can be found any more. We bought them from a small company in Nevada and he called them 6648 Duo Sweetheart tubs. They are perfect for watching the fire or a movie from the tub, together. My sons in the office have taken up the same attitude, understanding that life is great when people love the services you provide. I hope you return and take advantage of our online discounts again!
Los Angeles
Reviewed 9 March 2012

We had a nice big room with a fireplace, tv, fridge and microwave. The restroom was very big with a shower. Unfortunately, our room's queen bed mattress was bad. It was way too soft & neither my husband and I got good night rests. I would highly recommend the owners change it. I'm sure it's an old one. The open murphy bed had a better mattress. Also, there was a dirty sheet in between the bed's cover & blanket. It was disgusting. I had to remove it & leave a note for the housekeeper to change it while we were out after our first night. It was changed. They do encourage you to call them if you have any issues, but we didn't want to waste time packing & changing rooms & test another room with maybe the same or another issue. We stayed in room #228 - AKA #8(I wish I would have known this when booking since another reviewer had commented other negatives about this room). We will try another property next year.

• Stayed March 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank TTITL
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Cathy's Country Cottages, responded to this review, 2 June 2012
Hi, we are very sorry that you did not enjoy your stay with us! We have 2 rooms that fall under the Queen Jacuzzi room type. Numbers 7 and 8. These are our cheapest available rooms and we keep them very nice although the rates are very cheap. We will make note of the bed and make sure it is checked and/or replaced. We are always upgrading beds along with all other amenities. There obviously should not have been a dirty sheet. We triple-sheet our beds and truly wish you would have called us right away about this issue. We would offer you a free upgrade to a much nicer more expensive room, but would also come in and find out how this happened on the bed, and clean and change everything. We are curious how the sheet was dirty and no sure how it would be left in there, but again are sorry that you did not like the stay. We highly recommend booking with us directly so we can offer good deals on a more suitable room! Thanks, Josh P., Manager.
Mission Viejo, California
Reviewed 18 February 2012

Booked this trip in Jan hoping there would be snow by Feb for the kids to go sleding. Since it was Presidents weekend everything had a two night min and cost $$$. I was a little apprehensive that Cathys was inexpensive compared to others.
What a GEM, it was perfect for our family and the gentlemen at the front desk who checked us in late was so nice and very helpful in finding off the beaten path sleding and family friendly restaurants. We stayed in Rm #228 with 5 of us and it was perfect for the two nights Thur/Fri. Also it was a busy weekend but no complaints about noise. We will be back!

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
Temecula, California, United States
Reviewed 22 January 2012

I took my boyfiend here for our one year / his birthday in October and was totally shocked. I picked Cathy's Cottages because it had a fireplace and jacuzzi for an exceptional price. But this place blew me away. The room was amazing. It was so cute and cozy and had just about anything that you could hope for in it. I recommend Cathys Cottages to everyone that tells me that they are going, or are wanting to go, to Big Bear. Because I know that they definitely wont be disappointed. I was very impressed with the room and also with the amazing customer service. Cant wait to go back. I am planning trip to Big Bear in February as we speak. And will be staying at Cathys Cottages :]

Room Tip: We stayed in 222 (#2) which is one of the jacuzzi rooms. Would definitely recommend. There are a few...
  • Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jaclyn S
Arizona
Reviewed 16 January 2012

For the same price we would have spent for the one star chain motel room down the street we got Cottage #7. The website photos represent the actual room perfectly.
First you go through a little sitting area (great for leaving snowy shoes and bags), then into a nice bedroom with a gas fireplace at the bottom of the bed, a TV w/DVD, microwave, and mini fridge. Next is a little "kitchen" area with counter top and sink. Then a little bathroom with a nice tile shower. Though I should mention that the tile can get very cold in the winter so make sure you leave the bathroom door open at night or you will freeze! The room when entered was cold and I was concerned since one of the windows (behind TV) would not shut all the way and I'm a cold wussy but if with the heater turned up and fire place on it quickly heated up.
The location is a little out of town and the room is right on the corner of a street so you can hear traffic and people a bit but really you can expect that from most places and for how nice the cottage was for the price we got, I cannot complain one bit!
Also, the managers (owners?) were great and even gave a 24hr number you could call if any problems arose (which they didn't).
Great place for an amazing price. I would not hesitate to stay again.

• Stayed January 2012, travelled as a couple
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Cathy's Country Cottages, responded to this review, 1 February 2012
Thanks for this review! Your description of #7 at Cathy's Cottages is very accurate :) It is one of the only 2 more motel style rooms at Cathy's Cottages. The rest are all jacuzzi honeymoon suites. We are always concerned about this room as it is closest to the highway and circle K across the street. We have recently checked the windows and walls to better the escape from the outside noise. We will also be double checking this window that is not staying shut! Thanks again, we hope to see you again and that maybe you can try a jacuzzi cottage next time! To all guests, please remember we really want to know how you are enjoying your stay while you are here, and want to know about and address any issue immediately! Thanks, Josh, Manager.
Glendora
Reviewed 29 November 2011

These cottages are wonderful! Cozy, jacuzzi for two in front of fireplace, love seat in front of fireplace, well maintained (very minor cosmetic flaws here and there). The price / value is excellent, the staff is great. It is not centrally located to anything but just about everything in Big Bear is just a few minutes drive. Definitely would stay again! Quiet neighborhood that is good for walks.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank gardog
sleepyforestcottages, Manager at Cathy's Country Cottages, responded to this review, 1 December 2011
Thank you for this wonderful review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay. Cathy's Cottages is about 3 miles from the main Big Bear Area where the lake, village and ski resorts are located. Although the jacuzzi cottages at Cathy's are some of the most romantic the rates run lower than Sleepy forest Cottages' due to the location. If you do find even minor blemishes or flaws please let us know right away. We like to update or repair any needs ASAP and keep the cottages in their best conditions. We love to know how you like your room while you are here and/or what we can do to make your stay most enjoyable, so let us know! Thanks. Josh Pool, Manager.
Also consider these accommodations in or near Big Bear City
The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort
Robinhood Resort
Robinhood Resort
#5 of 7 in Big Bear Lake

Been to Cathy's Country Cottages? Share your experiences!