“Not What You'd Expect From Their Own Description”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bear City
Inn Der Bach Resort
Fallbrook, California
“Not What You'd Expect From Their Own Description”
Reviewed 27 August 2014

We stayed here in June via a voucher purchased with Amazon Local. Check-in time is 3:30, yet there was not only no office, there was no one on-site to help us. Tim arrived at about 5p, full of apologies. Our room was just OK. The best I can say was the bed and bedding were clean and new. Tim collected his cash fee, but more on that later. Our "romantic meal" consisted of take-out pizza, spaghetti and calzone. No salad or beverage. The strawberries were a nice touch. We were told they didn't offer "concierge services". Somewhat deceptive b/c the dictionary defines concierge as staff in charge of special services, but Tim defines it as housekeeping. The room wasn't cleaned, coffee not replaced. (Tim did bring more coffee.) We left a day early because this definitely wasn't what we expected. We were required to give a credit card number when the reservation was made, but were told they didn't take credit cards. SURPRIZE!! When we checked the cc statement, Tim had not only collected the cash, he had also charged my card! It took a month of dealing w/AMEX to get a refund. The location has potential to be a really great resort, but until the owners are willing to pour a few million$$ into it, it is only a few steps above mediocre. Wait a few years - maybe they will improve this place by then. Or at least have an office with the ability to check in their guests.

• Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
5 Thank Ann T

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (17)
California
Reviewed 18 August 2014

Good:
* Spacious room

* Full Cable TV

* Good kitchen and appliances

* CLEAN

* Flowers on arrival

* Chocolate dipped strawberries at 8 o'clock

Not so:
* Poor reservation system. Our room given to someone else who came earlier. We had to wait two hours while they cleaned a similar one. As compensation they allowed us to check out what ever time we wanted on our check out day.

* tried to charge me $60 "cleaning fee" instead of the $45 on the Voucher. When I pointed that out to him, he said yes but look at the end, it says "prices subject to change".

* The first night Italian dinner for 2 was pretty much a joke. A tiny salad in Tupperware without any dressing, A small pizza, a small calzone, and some thrown together spaghetti. There was no sparkling cider as mentioned in the voucher. But in their defense, the plate of chocolate dipped strawberries they brought at 8 o'clock we're so wonderful, that it made me forget all of the previous stuff.

* window handles didn't work on several windows, and A quilt covered a big hole in the wall. We kept our valuables locked in the car, although I'm sure it is a very safe place.

* no coffee for the beautiful coffee machine they had. When I informed them they told me it was not included in the room fee, but they would give us a couple for just today. But they never did.

* wi-fi did not work in the room.

But you know something, all in all, we enjoyed our stay. Having a very clean place, and a fully operational and supplied kitchen was a real nice thing.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Steven_el_Gordo
Long Beach, California
Reviewed 25 July 2014

We arrived for our first family vacation only to find out they lost our reservation. I had the print out of our hotel confirmation but that made no difference. Staff was friendly but not helpful in finding us new accomodations.

• Stayed July 2014, travelled with family
2 Thank roseinthemash

Travellers are raving about these Big Bear City hotels

San Diego, California
Reviewed 6 July 2014

Upon arrival on May 16, 2014, I paid Timothy, general manager, $120.00 cash for kitchen x 2 nights, cleaning fee, and room tax based on "regular" room rate not the $89.00 for 2 nights voucher through Amazon Local. Then on the June Discover statement I was charged $119.95 on May 15, 2014 for the very same 3 fees. I called Discover to dispute the charge, called Amazon Local to dispute the charge, and called Timothy to credit back the $119.95 since he was paid twice. Timothy stated he could not just reverse the $119.95 charge on Discover since I filed a dispute. All I want from Inn der Bach is what is due back to me, since the $89.00 for 2 nights stay cost me more than if I had stayed in a hotel in Big Bear City = $328.95 total paid out to Inn der Bach. The stay was OK, nothing special, Timothy seems to be trying to update the Inn, so I give him "atta boy" for his efforts!! I hope to see $119.95 on my next Discover Card statement!!

Room Tip: Know what you're looking for in Big Bear as far as the quality of an inn or hotel. Maybe it'...
Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
8 Thank NU417
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 22 June 2014

Be afraid be
VERY afraid.I'd rather sleep on the ground then this"resort".Upon ariving two young boys came to the unit to collect a $45 cleaning fee.They brought a vacaum cleaner with them to do the floor around me as I signed the paperwork.
There were dirty cups in the sink which my wife washed.There were crackers on the floor behind the sofa.Dirty cutips under the bed.
I went in the restroom when I lifted the toilet seat up it fell off and hit me in the ankle(no kidding).
There was a quilt stapled to the wall behind which was a large cutout hole in the drywall.What a pigsty.
I had paid for two nights with an online coupon $139 .With an Italian dinner that consited of a cheese pizza 1 calazone and some speghetti.
We bailed out after the one night,got a place with cabins for less that cost less then
per night then this so called resort.
Timothy actually told us alot of people show up and bail saying it is too far out of town
forfetting there deposit.I believe they would bail on him but not because of the location
but the fact that the whole place is a health hazard.It should be looked into for false representation.
Big bear was nice but Inn Der Bach is a disaster looking for a place to happen.

Sincerly,Mike

Room Tip: choose a different buisness
  • Stayed June 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank michael h
Timothy682, Manager at Inn Der Bach Resort, responded to this review, 23 June 2014
Michael we are very saddened to read your comments. Yes two young men (22 and 23 years old) showed up to check you in and they signed you in, in the lodge. The Lodge is like a bed and breakfast where we rent out the rooms and there is a common area for guest. there is also a common kitchen where guest can make food. We apologize that the guest staying there had not picked up after themselves.This was not part of your chalet. We are using the check in area of the lodge to sign guest in before taking them to there Chalet. Our new check in office is being built and will be a great addition to our establishment. The two men showed you our new office on the way to your room. I saw you later on that evening and you had no complaints. You also signed that you had completed your walk thru and the chalet was clean and pleasant. The problem came the next morning at 6am when you could not get the Kerig Coffee Maker to work because you had not turned on the power switch. You immediately called and were very vulgar and abusive with our staff. Something we will not permit from any guest. We here at Inn Der Bach will try to do anything possible to make our guest stay as comfortable as possible, but no body should be treated that way. We were happy to come over and show you how to work the coffee maker. You instead could not calm yourself. You instead knowing how much effort and pride we take in cleaning our chalets choose to attack us on this review site. We are very saddened to see your comments and are working towards making the appropriate changes to better our establishment for our future guest.
Reviewed 22 March 2014

This place feels like home. I wouldn't stay anywhere else in big bear. Friendly staff. Amazing price. Beautiful grounds. Keurig in every room. The best place in big bear. Period. Fireplaces, mountain view, stream, fake deer (in a cute not creepy way), out of the way.

• Stayed March 2014
2 Thank seeingblonde
San Diego
Reviewed 20 March 2014

I booked 2 nights in a "chalet", chalet #9 to be specific, we had a voucher for a great deal at $89.00 for 2 nights. Thought it was an awesome deal, even though we had to book outside of weekends. We got there a few minutes after check in time, and at first we were quite disappointed by the surroundings. But Timothy was very welcoming. He walked us to the "chalet #9" which in fact is #9 AND #10. We expected to be in a single chalet, as we were looking forward to some very quiet time. Unfortunately for us, a family with kids was next door, the walls being pretty thin, it was noisy. We asked if by any chance an indivual chalet would be available, even if we had to pay extra for it. But all chalets were booked for the night.

After an hour of hearing noise non-stop, we decided to leave. We lost the voucher of course, and the $65.00 we had to pay when walking in for taxes and cleaning fee (must pay cash). Timothy offered to wait in case someone would not show up, but we wouldn't take the chance/risk.
The bathroom was clean, there was a nice coffee maker, a microwave, a small fridge.
The bedroom's carpet was not very clean, the curtains had a lot of dust in the creases.
The fireplace had wood on the side ready, that was a nice touch.
The outside is not well maintained, there were a lot of cigarettes butts left in the flower pots, the paint was cracked on the stairs, the windows had not been cleaned for a while,...

Bottom line is: make sure it is what you are looking for. If you want a quiet gateway for 2, make sure to get an individual chalet or go somewhere else!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Cozy Hollow Lodge
Cozy Hollow Lodge
#2 of 19 in Big Bear Region
The Lodge at Big Bear Lake, a Holiday Inn Resort

Been to Inn Der Bach Resort? Share your experiences!