“All around amazingly excellent!!”
Review of Madlon's - CLOSED

Madlon's
Price range: US$0 - US$20
Cuisines: American
Good for: View, Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Dinner, Lunch, Reservations
Reviewed 12 March 2013

We have been to many other fine dining establishments and Madlon's is at the top of our list! We had the 5 course dinner special with the Brie appetizer. Great food and amazing value for fine dining. The atmosphere was cozy and romantic, but it is not a dine and dash as other reviews have stated. We were here on our honeymoon, so this was a great relaxing meal for us. We would highly recommend Madlon's for fine dining.

1  Thank wicritics

Reviewed 3 January 2013

We made New Year's Eve reservations for 7pm. We (party of 5) arrived at 6:50 and were told our table would be ready shortly so we were seated at an empty table. At 7:20 we were seated. No menus, no water, no bread for another 20 minutes.
I am not going to go into all the sordid details about the lateness of the rudimentary items EVERY restaurant should provide to its patrons, but suffice it to say, we waited and waited and waited for the basics: menu, drinks, water which we had to ask for twice.
There IS a caveat on the door that explains that Madlon's is NOT a fast food restaurant and that a typical dinner usually takes close to 2 hours to prepare and serve. Why this is so, is beyond me. We finally got our dinner served after a totally unnecessary delay, during which the owner brought out his daughter and introduced her to other patrons as the cook du jour.
He continually gave us "updates" as to the status of our order and also gave us some lame information as to HIS itinerary in the serving sequence which made no sense to any of us. I could understand a delay if the place was packed, but it was about 1/2 full at best when we were seated.
The food was good for the other 4 in our party, my fettucini alfredo was average at best .
If you have A LOT of time then you.won't mind Madlon's. If you don't and you are used to the barest of service amenities, then bypass it.. I for one, will hopefully NEVER go back.

1  Thank ucla4kw
Reviewed 1 January 2013

I have eaten ad Madlon's twice and both times it was EXCELLENT! You might think $45.00 is a lot for a filet mignon but I can tell you it is worth every penny! Also excellent is the Fettucinne Alfredo and at about 18.00 it is both affordable and delicious! You will love Madlon's!

1  Thank lwolfe63
Reviewed 30 December 2012

The service is very good and the food is excellent. The prices are $$$ unless you are able to visit when they run the specials. We eat there every Christmas. The Owners are both the Chief and Servers. They do an excellent job. How do they manage with 3 Children?? We will continue eating there as long as we go to Big Bear.

Reviewed 3 December 2012

We have been going to Madlon's for many years, whenever we go to Big Bear. I am writing this review mainly because I can't believe Madlon's is not ranked in the top 5 in Big Bear. The current owners are open for breakfast on weekends but don't seem to be doing the business of many other area restaurants. You definitely should try it. On our last visit for breakfast I had the "breakfast combo" with eggs, choice of potatoes, two nice-sized pieces of ham (bacon or sausage available), and 1/2 waffle (pancake also available) for $7. And everything was delicious! My wife chose from the LONG list of crepes and commented on their lightness and flavor. The service is excellent, if occasionally a bit slow. I have never had lunch at Madlon's, but the dinner menu, while not extensive, is excellent. The food is creative and delicious and fairly priced. The only item I thought was expensive was a steak I had a couple years ago, but it was the best steak I have ever had. The wine selection is very good, with relatively low prices. To really save, try their early specials on weeknights. (I am not sure of the days; call ahead to check.) Madlon's is a clean, cute place with outstanding food.