“Apples is my favlorite retreat!”

We can't find prices for this accommodation
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this accommodation, but we can search other options in Big Bear Region
Apples Bed and Breakfast Inn
Reviewed 19 August 2010

I love Apples. We go there twice a year, January & July for the last 6 years. Everytime we go we have such a fabulous time. The owners Jim & Barb are the nicest people. The rooms are adorable and the food is amazing...the only bad thing about Apples is you might need to loosen your pants after eating their fabulous breakfasts and scrumptious desserts...and don't forget to bring some toffee home to your friends :-)

• Stayed: July 2010, travelled on business

Reviewed 17 August 2010

Just came back from a Scrapbook retreat. MANY MANY people became ill within 24 hours of contact with sick owners. Twenty-One people checked in one area by Sat evening 9 people were vomiting. One would think food poison, but we believe since the owners were sick they simply didn't contain their owns germs.
Barbara made no provisions with ANY guest except to combine the sick ones together in the same rooms. One bathroom and 2 sick people wasn't going to cut it. How about refunds? How about masks? Or just even saying we can't service you we will bring in alternate staff? Sure we got clean towels but once their own children came down with the very same illness you would think they would take some responsibility for their carelessness. Another crop group with only 16 people also had 4 illnesses in the same period of time. ANY other contained area would have been cleared. Apparently these folks will take our money at any cost.

• Stayed: August 2010
2  Thank norepeatretreat
Reviewed 16 August 2010

The place has gone downhill each year I go but I must say this is the worse weekend crop retreat I have been too. The conference room tables and fridge were filthy, it's where we had to fill our bottled 'filtered' water. Filtered through what the sewer line?!

The Inn keepers were very rude in speaking to me when I wanted to let them know Friday a.m. that we had light issues in our conference room. The breaker switch would continue to trip. Well, I researched and they have a trailer (trashy) in the back of the conference room with a long extension cord leading to the conference room where we were. The Inn keepers were blaming us for using too much electricity! ha! Oh, I suppose the overhead lighting that they provide is too much on their mega electrical box. A light had gone out and was told it wouldn't be changed until we left! Oh - okay, we'll sit in the dark. The trash was not emptied, the screen doors to keep critters out were broken, no handles on the doors and the two bathrooms next to the conference room were filthy. Most importantly, after our first breakfast half of our group of 21 were ill, nausea and 'you know' the other end too. Well, it hit our group like wild fire. I personally missed lunch, dinner, breakfast and lunch again and all snacks due to nausea and stomach cramps. The Inn keepers had returned from vacation and came home with the same symptoms. However, they refused to take responsibility for cleanliness while preparing food for us to eat. We, our group in our conference room, and others in a separate conference room became ill as well, most had to be taken home early and some their spouses had to drive up the hill to Big Bear to take them home. Was our trash emptied in our rooms, tissue paper or clean towels handed out or any empathy from the inn keepers? NO! I would have given this B&B (term being used loosely) a negative score across the board. These Inn keepers need to move on to greener pastures.

• Stayed: August 2010, travelled on business
2  Thank Pismogal
applesbigbearlake, Owner at Apples Bed and Breakfast Inn, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2010

I am sorry this person did not enjoy their stay. There was a flu outbreak in their conference room - we were told 5-10 people got sick over the weekend - 5 did not come to breakfast on Friday morning, and 5 did not come to breakfast on Saturday - and I was told someone got sick after they got home. There were a total of 44 in the entire facility that weekend. We saw one person that appeared ill when they checked in on Thursday, and we were told they went to bed - I don't know what that person was sick with. We were cleared from the San Bernardino County Health Department of any wrongdoing from food preparation nor were the innkeepers, employees, or children of the innkeepers contagious with influenza. From other guest accounts, some members of the same group were sick during the first night of arrival and others in their group came down with symptoms on Saturday. We use the utmost caution in preparing and serving of food - as well as maintenance and cleanliness of our facility - why would we not. Our numerous inspection reports from AAA, the City of Big Bear Lake, and the San Bernardino County Health Department have never listed any negative issues in regards to these specific problems. We do have a night bell which we answer 24/7 and we also answer our telephone - if there are issues at any time, all the guests have to do is ring the bell - complaining about it after they have check out does not help anyone. Some reviews are the truth, some are the guests versions of the truth, some are not true at all, but when one has a complaint they feel more justified by coming up with a dozen more - after all - they feel they can do damage to us that way. We take the good with the bad in this industry - we have been told you can't please everyone all of the time - but for 17 years - we have tried our best.

Reviewed 25 August 2009

My husband and I have stayed at Apples B&B for 7 out of the last 8 Novembers. Every fall, right before the holiday rush, my husband and I pack up several books, my Christmas ornament crafts (that I make each year), comfy clothes and head up to Apples. We love the abiance and relaxed atmosphere.

We usually go up on Sunday afternoon and stay until Wednesday. We enjoy sitting in our rooms in the winged back recliners, reading and relaxing. Sometimes we go sit in the gazebo to read. I work on my crafts on one of the tables available and enjoy my quiet time. We take walks after our delicious breakfast. The afternoon cheese, cracker and other appetizers are absolutely yummy!! We take another walk or make our way into town to walk around and visit the shops. Sometimes we have a light dinner or salad and then come back for a scrumptous dessert.

Jim and Barbara have always been friendly and we have enjoyed many conversations with them.

We look forward to fall with the anticipation of returning for our down time.

If you are looking for a mini retreat to get a break from the busyness of your life, Apples B&B is a wonderful place to go.

Looking forward for November to get here and then up the mountain we go.

Stayed: November 2008, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 5 August 2009

I've stayed at Apples in Big Bear several times in the past few years & just love it every time. It is spacious with a lot of rooms, but it doesn't lose the country charm feel. The hospitality from Barbara & Jim, the owners, is consistently warm and wonderful...and so are the fabulous breakfasts, late afternoon snacks and desserts!

Many of the other reviews go into the variety of amenities at Apples, so I won't list them again. I just love going there, feel completely comfortable and welcome & wouldn't hesitate to recommend it.

Stayed: July 2009, travelled with friends
Reviewed 11 January 2009

It’s unfortunate that some of the other reviewers did not have a very good experience here, as my husband and I really enjoyed our stay. We made our reservations on very short notice, and they were one of the very few on our list that still had availability. It was Christmas day, and although it was only supposed to be a 2-hour drive (maybe 3 with traffic), it took us 8 hours to get there. There was a storm coming, there was some heavy snowfall expected. It seemed everyone else wanted to go up there for that as well, and as it got dark, you could see the tail lights all around the mountain as it was bumper-to-bumper traffic starting from the bottom. We had planned to get there before dark, and definitely before the storm hit. But because it took so much longer than we ever expected, we ended up driving through the storm. With very poor visibility and being pelted by sleet, it was a long and stressful drive. We finally arrived at the B&B shortly before 10 pm. We called them a couple of times to let them know that we were going to be very late, and they were very understanding about it. When we got there, Barbara was very welcoming despite the late hour. It was just a relief to get there safely and be somewhere warm and cozy. We originally planned to only stay one night, but after all that and seeing how charming our room was (actually the whole place was), we wanted to stay another night. Barbara was very accommodating, and of the few rooms available for a 2-night stay, she recommended the “Sweet Bough” which was at the end of one of the garden buildings. She let us go in and take a look at the available rooms to see which one we’d prefer. Although it was not in the main house (just a few steps away), we both agreed that Sweet Bough was indeed the best choice. Barbara was very helpful and modified our reservations. We were so grateful, and we loved that room. There was so much snow, and the view from our room was just beautiful. Their breakfasts were absolutely delicious. We're not morning people and are almost never up early enough on our days off, even when we're at places that includes breakfast as part of our stay. But we certainly were for the 2 days we were there. The snacks and desserts were also just scrumptious.

We visited the Moonridge zoo and checked out Bear Mountain that were both just up the road the next day. We also went to the village and had dinner there that night. Whenever we came back to the inn, we were able to take advantage of the afternoon snacks, evening dessert, cookies, and the hot beverages. There's no daily maid service, but we were ok with that. We only wished that the pillows had a little more support and the TV a bit bigger. Nevertheless, we would definitely stay here again and would recommend it to friends. Hopefully their stay would be as pleasant as ours!

• Stayed: December 2008, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
Reviewed 28 April 2008

Our scrapbooking group just recently stayed at Apples and we had a fabulouse time! This was my first B&B experience. We stayed 3 nights and I shared a room with 2 other ladies. We stayed in the "Liberty" room which was a very large room on the second floor just above the conference room. It had very charming country decor.
I found the owners to be very friendly & accomedating! We were constantly eating it seemed like. They offered Saturday evening dinner, I couldn't eat yet so I was able to take my food back to the conference room and put it in the refrigerator for later. I think that is the only day they offer lunch & dinner. We had salad for lunch with many choices of dressing. I needed something from the kitchen late for my saved dinner and Jim was in there watching TV. He was very nice, chit chatted with me and gave me what I needed.
It was fun going to breakfast to see what was cooked up for us. One of the gals in our group was allergic to "Gluten" and barbara happily accomedated her. I could never finish all my food so we were able to put our fresh muffins, etc.. in little bags with cute little ties for later. I had a stock pile of baked goods from the weekend stay there that I couldn't eat!
To my surprise, I noticed that some of the reviews say that Barbara & Jim weren't friendly. People don't always have good days & don't always see eye to eye. It's a shame that they had a bad experience.
Our group is already booked for next year and I can't wait to go back!

• Stayed: April 2008
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)