“Dont do it!”

Knickerbocker Mansion Country Inn
Ca
“Dont do it!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 December 2011

The owner Stan is rude and condecending. The place is not inviting or welcoming. And certainly not warm and engaging as most bed and breakfasts owners are. You are an inconvenience. The walls are thin ( you can hear people yawn), the beds are not sleep worthy, breakfast is better Teddybears... Breakfast ar 9 sharp or nothing. Well about breakfast if your skiing or need to leave earlier than 859am. We couldnt wait to leave. I think they need to find something they enjoy, becasue these owners do not act like they like what they do. For the price, stay at Northwood, at least people will be happy to welcome and serve you.

• Stayed November 2011, travelled as a couple
4 Thank CaLuv2Laf

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (19)
West Hills
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 September 2011

This is the second time we have visited the Knickerbocker for a birthday weekend in Big Bear. In 2010 we booked on the Living Social deal and had a great time, the room was a little small but the hosts made the weekend a great experience and the food was excellent.
This year we intended to use another Living Social deal for Inn Der Bach, what a mistake!! Never go anywhere near this place, you have been warned!!
On deciding not to stay at our chosen accommodation we called Knickerbocker at 9:30pm on Friday night and Stanley answered the phone with his usual pleasent manner, I asked if he had any of their late availability offers that I had seen on the website. He said they did but I had only just caught him as check-in normally closes at 9pm but if we could be there quickly he would wait for us. We loaded the car and left Inn Der Bach never to return.
Stanley greated us with a smile and checked us into Cedar IV in the main building for two nights at a 30% discount on the standard rate, a great deal at such short notice.
In all we had a great weekend and I would highly recommend Knickerbocker Mansion to anyone looking for B&B accommodation in Big Bear.

Room Tip: Cedar IV is the largest standard room in the main building and very nice, Forest View rooms a little...
  • Stayed September 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Jesters66
Las Vegas, Nevada
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 August 2011

Honestly it was not good deal. Room is very small but clean. They maintain cabin in good condition. I saw so many bad comments from trip advisor but I did not have any dispute. Breakfast is good too. I paid $38 for tax. Hum it was 2 nights tax. Prepare for paying tax. Big Bear Lake is really beautiful. Enjoy short trip!

• Stayed August 2011
3 Thank Veronica K
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 April 2011

When reserving the Penthouse Suite at Knickerbocker Mansion they made it more then it was out to be...In the memo is stated that we would get homemade treats and cold beverages throughout the day. Never did we get any cold beverages nor homemade treats. Downstairs near the kitchen they had coffee and or tea that you could take back to your room. Chocolate cake was available for the two days that I was there! Not homemade at least to my tastings! Saturday morning I wasn't feeling well and had my boyfriend go downstairs to get our breakfast so we could eat it in our suite...Only to find out that he was told NO and that we had to eat downdtairs...You would think after paying over 500 dollars that they would make an exception and be more considerate and let you take your breakfast to go which was included in your stay...I then took it upon myself to go downstairs and try to explain that my back was in pain from a recent car accident only to have a strong head shaken NO at me. Sunday we decided to go and eat and get our moneys worth! We were served warm apples with walnuts. Ok not bad..but the french toast was very undercooked! Bacon was good... Its an old mom and pop place where its "my way or the highway" is the feeling we got. When we ran out of toilet paper we called the front desk and nobody answered the phone. We had to go downstairs and get it ourselves. Aside from the hot tub, I'd say the view from the windows is the only best thing there and we'd probably never stay there again! Considering the amount of money we spent for the poor service we endured!

• Stayed April 2011
4 Thank Liz2011310
Phoenix, Arizona
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 March 2011

Bad Customer service......really really bad..... Stay Away...place is overpriced coupled with extremely bad service

• Stayed January 2011, travelled on business
5 Thank solo31310
Los Angeles, California
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 March 2011

DO NOT book here. They have the worst customer service. I called to complain about an experience I had, instead of maintaining good customer service, both owners got very defensive, allowed the conversation to escalate, even to the point where they hung up on me!! They even threatened me if I wrote a bad review. Oh well for them.

Even before my stay, the owners give out an attitude like you are an inconvenience to check you in. WARNING, they charge you 45 $, if you check in after 9pm and every hour after.....REGARDLESS. Even if you get stuck in traffic on the way up, which usually happens in winter due to accidents and chain stops. We left at 3pm and still barely made it. They were not making any exceptions. Again, bad service.

They try to give it a b& b feel, but the owners are just not welcoming. the rooms are super small, it is warm inside though. There is free wifi, that was nice. The breakfast sucks. Dinner is ok, but waaay over priced. Beside, it is far from the center area and you can't really walk anywhere unless in the summer..... probably.

bottom line, go somewhere else. Hotel stays like this are about feeling comfortable.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
6 Thank PatnStph
New York City, New York
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 January 2011

My husband and I traveled to Big Bear for the holidays and stayed here. Alot of places in BB require a 3 night stay minimum but this place allowed us to stay for 2 nights, main reason why we picked it. Its in a good location, very close to the main village. We checked in and the owner Stanley was there, he was nice and hospitable. My husband thinks he was just "ok". Breakfast is included, either at 830 or 930. They do have a restuarant there which is pricey, but the food is pretty good. I reccommend the mushroom ravioli.

We stayed in the carriage suit. When we got there the heater in the room wasnt working, but Stanley had a guy out there fixing it, so we at least had the heat going. The room has a fireplace and a old tv with video/dvd player. If you're coming, bring some dvds with you, he has some, but they are pretty old. There's a couch there, its okay comfortable, the fireplace doesnt give off much heat, we could have done without it...There is a mini fridge there, so we kept some wine bottles in there...The bathroom is pretty nice...its a marble bath with a jacuzzi and a standing shower. There is a hairdryer. They give you soap and lotion, and thats about it. There are towels there, but no one comes to clean your room, which i kinda was surprised, since we paid close to 300 a night here. It was my first time in a B&B, i expected more. The bed was also not very comfortable. The pictures on the website of this place are pretty comparable to what the room actually looks like.

For breakfast, it was okay, they gave a fruit smoothie, and eggs. The next day it was fruit bowl and french toast. Coffee and juice is included. My husband is allergic to eggs, so all they had for him was oatmeal or cold cereal. I also expected a little more for breakfast since we are paying quite a bit. The continental breakfast at a hotel is better than this, meaning you have more options. There was no toast/muffins, etc.

STanely is pretty helpful though, we didnt know much around the area, and he gave us a flyer for Goldsmiths rental, and this place rents everything you need for winter sports. Jackets, pants, snowboard, skiis. And if you mention the knickerbocker you get like a 10% discount. They are pretty nice there and the prices cant be beat. We went skiing at snow summit which we were told is a friendlier and more famiily oriented place. If you havent skiied before, i reccommend taking a ski lesson, which they offer there and the instructors are great. I took a lesson and it was really good. They have a big area for beginners. Its gets pretty busy there though during hte holiday season.

All in all the mansion is not a bad place to stay at. I just wouldnt spend that kind of money on it, so if he has a special going, go for it, otherwise skip it. If its available,go to Northwoods, its looked pretty legit from what we saw.

• Stayed January 2011, travelled as a couple