“Surrounded by Beauty”

Lakewood Cabins at Big Bear Lake
San Diego, California
“Surrounded by Beauty”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 November 2012

Lakewood Cabins are located among trees, two blocks from the lake and a 10 minute walk to the town. There are trails nearby. Our cabin had a bedroom, front room, 2 bathrooms and a full kitchen. It is rustic and fabulous. The manager is on site and is easily contacted for any needs.

Room Tip: Cabin 4 has 2 bathrooms, Cabin 7 is the biggest and gets the best wi fi reception.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Linda K

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (4)
San Bernardino, California
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

I stayed in a junior cabin which included a bed, couch, fireplace, tv, dvd player, and a small kitchen. The kitchen had a sink, toaster, microwave, and fridge. There was no stove, but dishes are available for guests to use. The surface area of all the counters and floors were extremely clean. The couch, however, was full of food crumbs. The size of the cabin was perfect, and it provided a comfortable stay. The cabin host was very helpful and friendly, and asked several times if I needed anything. My only real complaint was that the bed was extremely stiff. Overall, I enjoyed my visit at Lakewood Cabins and would definitely return.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Petzl76
Escondido, California
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

My husband, myself and our 2 little dogs arrived to find a VERY FRIENDLY David, the caretaker but the cabin we had was run down, not clean, old, like 1960's old AND the bed was extremely uncomfortable and rock hard. These cabins are good ONLY if you go to Big Bear for skiing or other sports but NOT for a relaxing and restful getaway. We were very disappointed and will not return here.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Jayzz B

Travellers are raving about these Big Bear Region hotels

2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 September 2012

First of all the location is OK. The cabin was quaint, with a little work it could be very nice. The sink faucet was loose from the sink, still worked, but tacky. The bed was the hardest thing I ever tried to sleep on. There were issues with broken blinds, missing screens on the windows. With some serious TLC the cabin(s) could be great.

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
2 Thank Joevanguse
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 11 June 2012

My husband and I decided to go to Big Bear last minute for Memorial Day weekend. I decided to book at this location because we were taking our dog with us. When I got there I had to wait a few minutes because Dave wasn't in his office. When he got there he was very friendly. The cabin we stayed had one bedroom, bathroom, living room and kitchen. The heater is in the living room so I was glad that I took my down comforter with me although there were blankets in the cabin. They had towels in the bathroom also. The shower had hot water. The furniture is old. I dropped something in the kitchen floor and when I went to clean the paper towel showed that the floor was very dirty. I could tell that the cleaning in the cabin was very basic. My husband and I had to came home a little bit early and Dave told us to call him next time that he maybe would give us one night free. I think was nice of him to offer that. I'm not sure if I would stay there again only because I wish the cabin had been more clean.

• Stayed May 2012, travelled as a couple
San Diego
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 March 2012

We stayed here twice in the last month so it wasn't like the place is so bad that we wouldn't return, literally. It did help knowing what we were getting into from previous reviews posted. Since we have our baby with us who is not quiet and newly mobile, finding a safe place where we won't bother others with noise was a concern when booking.
Pros:
One bedroom detached cabin, perfect for our family with my 11 month son who passes out at 6 o'clock.
Kitchen/fridge/micro/wine glasses
Close to lifts
Walking to shopping, the Village, dining
Manager is super helpful (by the way, he said 7, 8 and 9 are the best cabins)
Quiet
Tire Swing outside that everyone had a blast swinging on
Area for kids to play that is not near a road
Discounts possible
Cons:
Dirty, dirty, dirty. Don't look under the bed or couches. There is silverware and dishes to use but I would rather use plastic because nothing was washed very well.
Heater didn't work the first time but since I had read the reviews beforehand we had packed our space heater which saved us from freezing to death. Second time heater worked which was good since ours broke on the drive up. Down side is that you can't close the bedroom door because the heat doesn't get in (central wall unit).
As stated before the decor is outdated.
The sink(s) handle(s) are loose and there is no regulator on the hot water so be careful if you have little ones that they don't burn themselves.
There is a porch swing outside that is broken (dangerous)

Things that are good to bring if you can:
Your own space heater if you want/need to close the bedroom door
A doormat for the front door (there is no way to avoid tracking dirt in without one)

Take it for what it is. We stayed there twice, so it wasn't that bad. For the money, it's one of the biggest spaces you can get.

• Stayed February 2012, travelled with family
New Durham, New Hampshire
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 January 2012

Great location and price (special deal second night free). On site manager Dave was very responsive, friendly and helpful. The cabin location and styles are cute but the interiors are looking tired and in need of some attention. Cabin was basically clean but window blinds, ledges, areas between furniture have not been cleaned for a long time.

• Stayed January 2012