“As Cartman would say: Sweeeeet!”

Sugar Pine Bake Shop
Cuisines: American
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Breakfast, Takeout
Las Vegas
“As Cartman would say: Sweeeeet!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 October 2013

We are still enjoying all the goodies I brought back from Sugar Pine Bake Shop 3 days ago. This has got to be a tough business to succeed with, since I saw at least 3 other “sweets” shops in the area. I chose this one because the excellent breads I had while dining at one of Big Bear’s best fine dining restaurants (Ooh La La) were made here at Sugar Pine.

Sugar Pine is easy to find just west of “the Village” on Big Bear Boulevard (Highway 18). It’s a free-standing building with a good sign out front: the word “BAKERY” is posted in big, brown letters on a pink background. The sales area is rather small with only two small display cases, but this is Big Bear and not downtown Manhattan. There is a highboy for 2-3 people to sit and enjoy a cup and a treat. This isn’t a Starbucks, so forget the laptop and don’t plan to spend a few hours here updating your Facebook page.

We came in and mentioned how we came to be at Sugar Pine. Overhearing our conversation about Ooh La La, Owner/Chef Trish Gordan came out to chat with us. Trish was very interested in our thoughts about her client and had similar opinions about them. We mentioned how much we liked the breads, but she was out of fresh walnut/raisin bread. She went into the back and found a loaf in the freezer and simply gave it to us. (I just finished a couple of slices for breakfast!)

We also bought several other selections including “Hoosier Pie,” which was a creamy concoction (reminiscent of rice pudding in flavor) on a crumble crust. I’m always eager to taste things I can’t get anywhere else I know of! The Macaroon brownie was a fine piece, both visually and in my mouth; probably nasty on my waistline, though! The apple thing (I forget their name for it, but it is a firm cobble/pie served in a square like the Brownie) tasted fresh (meaning naturally sweet, not over-sugared) and was lightly spiced. The blueberry scone was properly heavy and rib-clinging. I liked that scone a lot, the texture was great.

Portion sizes are large, considering my ability to eat sweets, but I find them quite proper and a good value. I just have to eat a selection over a few days or share it!

This may be a pretty long review for such a tiny place, but that should serve as sign that it was worth my time to visit and worth my time to write about it.

• Visited October 2013
1 Thank hoohoolian

Sugarloaf, California
“Have A Sweet Tooth?”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2013

Fresh baked goods priced reasonably. Good variety and tasty. Grab a cookie as you walk through the village, or take a dozen home. I was given a gift of several types of cookies and they disappeared within a day! Oh, I bought a cookie jar shaped like a black bear. Too cute.

Visited July 2013
1 Thank Paula M
Costa Mesa, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“YUM!”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2013

This is one of my favorite stops when I'm in Big Bear for some delicious baked treats! The Rosemary Parm bread is so good & the cinnamon rolls are amazing!

• Visited April 2013
1 Thank kuliana
Hemet, California
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“not as good as I thought!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 January 2013

my family were excited to purchase sweets at the bakery.we purchased a fudgy brownie which was really good and fudgy and 4 chocolate chip cookies and 2 snickerdoodles, the cookies were all so crunchy not even the middle of the cookie was soft, the snickerdoodle didnt even have much cinnamon and sugar on them.I myself bake and i can make way better cookies than the ones my family ate.regret wasting $4.00 on them.

Visited January 2013
1 Thank courtney w
Fawnskin, California
“Cupcakes!!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 December 2012

Really like the cupcakes here. And they do some pretty yummy wedding cake too (husband worked as a wedding planners assistant last summer, brought home lots of left over cake, and almost all of the cakes came from this bakery). Oh and they have these s'more things that are really yummy, don't know exactly what they're called though.

• Visited September 2012