“Is there somebody else there?”
Review of Snow Lake Lodge

Snow Lake Lodge
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Los Angeles, CA
“Is there somebody else there?”
Reviewed 2 January 2011

We visited with family, including young children over thanksgiving. The resort is located close to the downtown area near restaurants & entertainment. We originally checked into a room through our timeshare. We had to change it because it was on 3rd floor & w our kids it would be difficult to go up/down. Just glancing the room, we noticed it was a bit outdated (furniture & amenities). We requested another room lower level. They only had second floor #205. This room looked more updated in furniture & appliances. Full kitchen & separate bedroom from living area where pull out couch is located. I wonder if it is haunted because in the middle of the night I woke up to find a strange red light coming from the master bathroom. I got up and closed the bathroom door only to wake up again to find the door opened...strange since im light sleeper & didn't hear my spouse get up. Also, in the middle of the night, I thought my 4 yr old was crawling into bed bed w me because I felt someone sit on the bed near my feet. Well, my 4 yr old was sound asleep in the other room. I was also really cold in the room despite the heater being tuned on to 84degrees! The most bizarre thing is that my mom who also stayed w us, said she saw a "man" walk into the room at one point during our stay and didn't think anything of it thinking it was my father, but he had left to play out in the snow w my 4 yr old and wasn't even in the room. We were supposed to stay one more night but decided to head home early. I did not want to spend another night there!

• Stayed November 2010, travelled with family
6 Thank CALosAngeles

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (22)
orange county, ca
Reviewed 7 September 2010

I don't know where to start.....this lodge was AWESOME!! I walked in and it was like an apartment. We received a room that has been remodled and everything was perfect. The bed was comfortable, the restrooms were clean, the living room and kitchen were clean and spacious. The whole thing was GREAT!! We took the girls swimming in the pool and they enjoyed it and we enjoyed the spa (spa is little but very quiet and refreshing). The staff was VERY, VERY nice, kind and helpful. We will DEFINTELY come again and I will let my family know how wonderful this lodge was. Thank You for a relaxing and restful weekend!!

• Stayed September 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank sweetlove12
London, UK
Reviewed 4 August 2010

We visited this place as a single night stop and to be honest it's not what this is designed for. The suites are huge and there's loads of activities for families, obviously not really appropriate for us as a couple, but you could live here in snow season with the kids and have an awesome time. Decor was a little folksy but the rooms were clean and tidy. Good value too.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lexiflamingo
Mesa, Arizona
Reviewed 20 June 2010

I asked for a top floor (3 floors total); We were assigned the 3rd floor in the 2nd building (only 2 buildings). The room was a corner room which had additional windows backing onto the residential street. Can not view lake from resort. Wonderful daily activities in the main check-in area. Had free Internet access from check-in area which was handy for checking emails and airport business. In the middle of several restaurants and lake activities. Rent a bike and explore for a day. Take the ski lift to the top, with or without your bike. Take the Steam Boat Tour for 1.5 hours. Rent a kayak on the north shore (much calmer and especially rent in the morning hours). Lots of squirrels. Never saw a bear. Trash recepticles aren't even bear protected. Day trip to Arrowhead Lake & Little Green Valley Lake. The drive from Ontario Airport to Big Bear in the mid-morning of June 10th was very interesting. Lots of fog. I mean can't barely see the white or yellow lines type of fog, but lots of pull outs for people not comfortable driving in. You finally drive out of it, but be prepared for the fog. The rooms were perfect. 2 full baths. 1 full bedroom with queen pull out in the living room. 2 gas fireplaces-very nice. The kitchen had everything you would need. Hit a grocery store in town and stock up on necessities. Bathroom has hair dryer. Towels are replaced each day. Sheets once a week. 1 parking spot per room, No A/C. But windows and plenty of fans in the room were more then sufficient. Used the heated swimming pool twice - nice. All to our selves and clean. Had a hot tub, but didn't try. We will return.

• Stayed June 2010, travelled as a couple
2 Thank CPBluejay
inland empire
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I really enjoyed our stay over Memorial Day weekend (especially Annie). Courteous staff, clean rooms, nice spa. However, if you need maintenance, the red headed lady at the desk wasnt to helpful. My step son was a lil persistent and we got them to come out. The maintenance man was so nice and helpful. The televisions could stand to be updated. Overall visit was great!

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dnk021409
San Diego, California
Reviewed 23 May 2010

My husband and I just got back from our early May stay at the Snow Lake Lodge in Big Bear Lake, California (just below the base of Snow Summit Ski Resort); we stayed in Room # 112.

We found our room an agreeable size for up to four people; our condo was warm, spacious, clean and comfortable. You entered the condo into the foyer… this space separates the two halves of the condo and acts as a buffer; there is plenty of room for coats and boots there. From the foyer you can turn left into the bedroom or right into the living room/kitchen area (the couch folds out into a bed). Each of the two halves of the condo had their own separate bathroom (full sized), flat screen TV, DVD player, fireplace and their own separate heating unit. Our living room looked out over the wooded lot next door, our bedroom overlooked the parking lot (with some trees and a bit of an open space beyond). The kitchen area has a microwave, oven, stove, dishwasher and a normal-sized refrigerator. The kitchen’s pantry and drawers hold a good array of cooking / dining needs and there was a nice sized table with four chairs.

Things I liked about Snow Lake Lodge:
* The friendly, helpful staff… especially Annie at the front desk!
* A computer in the guest lounge by the front desk with free Internet usage.
* The heated pool/hot tub
* 2 nice, modern gas grills for the guest’s use.
* A good array of games and DVDs to check out from the front desk
* This property has a wonderful location within the community! You have your choice of eateries, drug and/or grocery stores all within a 3-minute drive of the lodge.
* Most of the rooms have been recently refurbished and modernized.
* Comfortable bed!!!

Hint*… Phone the front desk at the Snow Lake Lodge before coming up the mountain. Road conditions are sometimes an issue when coming up the mountain to Big Bear. In our case we found out that Highway 330 was closed indefinitely and that we should use the alternate Highway 38… this saved us a lot of confusion!

Staying here in the off-season is wonderful! There was plenty to keep us occupied in the Big Bear Lake community! Suggestions for springtime day trips (for those interested):
* Moonridge Animal Park… we honestly were prepared for a “hokey” little zoo… but we found much more than that! Most of the animals in the park are local animals that were injured too severely to go back into the wild. The volunteers are knowledgeable and friendly… we spent a very pleasant morning there. I had NO idea that Big Bear Lake was a nesting area for the Bald Eagle!
* Hiking… we made picnic lunches and hiked Gray’s Peak, Cougar Crest and the Castle Rock Trails. They were all wonderfully maintained and lent beautiful views! Note* this May there was a significant amount of snow on all three mentioned trails… when we commented on the snow, we were told Big Bear sometimes had snow up until June.
* Big Bear’s Discovery Center on the North Shore is very interesting.
* Big Bear Lake’s Downtown Shopping Area has some cute stores.
* The Gold Fever Trail is a self-guided automobile tour of the Holcomb Valley… its highlight being the Metzger Mine. The trip takes about 3 hours and gets to be a bit of an off-roading experience… it was a nice drive… but we were lucky to be in my husband’s truck and not my car! I am thinking they must grade this road closer to summertime… but I suggest checking with the Discovery Center before attempting this drive.

We enjoyed Snow Lake Lodge and Big Bear Lake, we will definitely return.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
3 Thank NJoisygirl
Newcastle UK
Reviewed 6 April 2010

Great little stop off on our road trip. Head to the supermarket five minutes down the road, stock up on whatever takes your fancy and chill out in front of one of your two log fires.

• Stayed October 2009, travelled as a couple