“Not worth the money!”

Ranked #10 of 16 Big Bear Region B&B and Inns
Orcutt, California
“Not worth the money!”
Reviewed 24 June 2013

DO NOT GO HERE! We found this hotel through Groupon. Needless to say we will never use Groupon for our vacations again! We have never stayed in hotel this awful before. Our room had a strong odor of mold and dirty feet. The enamel in the bath tub was chipping off off and looked very dirty. Vertical blinds were broken and Windows felt like they would fall out of the slider when we opened them. Our room was next to the staff smoking area which seemed like every 10 minutes another staff member was smoking outside. Coffee maker did not work. Refrigerator had a broken seal so would not keep food cold dispite having it set to the coldest setting. Walls and ceiling were paper thin. The guest upstairs started pacing at 5:30 AM and sounded like the ceiling would cave in. The front door had a stain glass window so by 6:00 AM the room was completely lit. So between the paced and the light there was no way we were going to be able to sleep in. Save your money and go anywhere else! Trust me anywhere else would be better this this dive.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (32)
La Habra, California
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I ended up staying here, not by choice but pretty much had to. I had a very bad and stressful experience. I booked through BigBear-dot-com originally at Bear Creek, sister property, 3 months in advance. I ended up changing my arrival date (1 day early) by calling their reservation office. The guy on the phone confirmed and even SENT me an email confirmation and I thought we were set. I guess I was supposed to contact BigBear-dot-com, but the reservations agent didn't tell me that...
When we arrived there was no cabin for me. I had nowhere to go and Jacqueline, the GM was not willing to help me or take the blame for their mistake. She had absolutely no customer service skills and was so cynical. Nobody ever apologized once, ever. She made me feel it was my mistake and even told me I would have to pay for the night if I wanted to stay here. She called the Big Bear association and pretty much told them to deal with it because she wasn't. They did and were so kind and apologized for a mistake they didn't commit. Jacqueline was not willing to give up her suite at Fireside without first collecting some extra money from me. Well the Association arranged everything for me and that's how I ended up here for one night. But had to move to Bear Creek (sister property) for the second night. Please save yourselves the stress and book elsewhere, the don't deserve anyones business.

For Accomodations:
We stayed in room 4. Consisted of 2 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, kichenette and living room area with fireplace. It looked clean when we first got there. My mother ended up cleaning the microwave. It was soo gross the previous guests heated something that spilled out and made a mess that wasn't cleaned up before we checked in. She had to clean it up. The window sill behind the futon/sofa in the living room was so dirty, there was dust and cup rings printed on it. Gross. The restrooms and everything else appeared clean, but they need to pay attention to detail in areas mentioned. It was great that there were 3 full bathrooms. It's so convenient when you have several adults. There is free Wi-Fi it was convenient and worked well from our room. Check in is 3pm which is fine, but check out is 10am is too early especially when you have to worry about cleaning everything for housekeeping, if you don't you could get charged a fee. The front desk agents were nice. But will NEVER return to any of their properties and I will make sure people I know about my experience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Big Bear Region hotels

La Quinta, California
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have been staying here a couple days a week for the past couple months. and have only experienced clean rooms, friendly staff and great room rates!!!!! Its also very centrally located to most restaurants and points of interest.. overall The Fireside Lodge is a win win for single night stays or week long trips....

Room Tip: I have stayed in 4 different rooms and they all seem to be clean and quiet . I have been staying the...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled solo
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The fireside lodge was a nice find in big bear. It's affordable and located within walking distance of the village restaurants, bars and shops. It isn't fancy, but I found it to be clean, comfortable and the rustic, cottage-type decor was exactly what I expected from a small lodge in the mountains. We stayed in a room in the main building with a comfortable king bed and a fireplace (which we used a lot with single digit temps outside). I would stay here again for value and convenience.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled as a couple
Riverside, California
Reviewed 5 December 2012

Had a great one nite stay. Room was clean , did not feel run down or old. Modern looking upgrades such as pine beds and newer linens. Bathroom area was nice and shower was NOT a trickle. Enjoyed the complimentary breakfast in the morning. Freshly made waffles, oj, muffins, coffee, and dry cereal all available in their dining hall/community room/kitchen area. Staff was superb !! Manager was very sweet and kind, offered all kinds of tidbits about the area and places we should check out. Excellent customer service!! (she manages all 3 of their properties) . This place was very accomodating and I can not wait to bring friends back and enjoy a wknd in the snow here !! Thanks Fireside.!

• Stayed September 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank TravelinTrixie2012
Malibu, California
Reviewed 16 November 2012

We stayed here one night with our dog. We paid extra for a dog friendly room, even though I think we were the only ones on the property. We found the room extremely expensive for what we got. There was a ring around the toilet and we found alot of dried blood on one of the sleeping pillows (disgusting). There was a futon in one of the rooms, however the cushion did not fit properly and kept falling off. The vertical blinds were missing two slats, so much for privacy. It took quite a while for them to get the Internet working, however it was extremely slow. The TV was tiny and located high up in a corner near the ceiling. There was no breakfast as advertised. We were told breakfast was offered only on the weekends (this was not mentioned on their website). The swimming pool was empty with a tipped over 55 gallon drum laying in the middle. When we checked out, the woman behind the desk was extremely rude. She was on the telephone and just dismissed us. I had wanted to ask a question, but she went right on talking on the phone We would never ever stay here again.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with family
1 Thank Michelle5835
Lake Elsinore, California
Reviewed 30 September 2012

Fireside is a great place to stay. It is close to the village, quiet with great views of the lake. The staff is so friendly and accommodating. The rooms are clean and fresh, in fact the pool and all areas are always clean. It is very relaxing to sit outside and enjoy the fresh mountain air and look at the beautiful lake. Fireside is the best place to stay in Big Bear

Room Tip: I have stayed in the suites and regular rooms and all are very spacious and comfortable
  • Stayed September 2012, travelled on business