“Extremely Disappointed”
Review of Fireside Lodge

Fireside Lodge
Ranked #10 of 16 Big Bear Region B&B and Inns
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Although well located, these lodgings were less than adequate. First off, the toilet didn't flush and a maintenance man did respond in good time. The very small room needed a facelift. Everything was old and in need of fresh paint, cleaner carpeting, and window treatments. Bed linens had holes and were ill-fitting. Bathroom/dressing area was tiny and kleenex was missing! Housekeeping never washed in-room coffee maker after morning use and never cleaned coffee mugs left in the sink.
We went there on a Groupon Offer for 2 nights and trusted it would have been nicer. Would NOT recommend it to anyone.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled as a couple
There are newer reviews for Fireside Lodge

Reviewed 29 July 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights due to a Groupon deal. Got the king bed, fireplace, basic room. Really, really rundown place. Only one employee works there at a time. If they aren't in the office, good luck. They were nice after we talked to them for a bit though. No a/c and the room was hot because they have to leave the pilot light on for the heater and it puts out heat. We had to leave the windows open and the fans in them to try to keep the room cool. Bathroom was barely there.. no place to put your stuff by the sink so they include a little tv like stand that is odd. Tub chipped and old. Towels were thin and holey. Walls thin as well. Pool outside was yucky, didn't want to swim in it. If you are looking for a cheap no frills place, this will do. Just don't expect any kind of luxury.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 28 July 2013

first I must say, do not believe all the bad reports, the staff were very nice.. Overly nice and accommodating. we arrived on Sunday afternoon and our room was GREAT! we had a BIG spa tub and queen suite ready. Nice clean room. grounds were nice and very close within walking distance to the marina and bowling alley and to the village.

I would recommend this place and would stay here again. not to mention that they welcome pets.
I RECCONMEND

Room Tip: there is no air-conditioning, but fans and that suited us.
  • Stayed: July 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank James S
Reviewed 24 June 2013

DO NOT GO HERE! We found this hotel through Groupon. Needless to say we will never use Groupon for our vacations again! We have never stayed in hotel this awful before. Our room had a strong odor of mold and dirty feet. The enamel in the bath tub was chipping off off and looked very dirty. Vertical blinds were broken and Windows felt like they would fall out of the slider when we opened them. Our room was next to the staff smoking area which seemed like every 10 minutes another staff member was smoking outside. Coffee maker did not work. Refrigerator had a broken seal so would not keep food cold dispite having it set to the coldest setting. Walls and ceiling were paper thin. The guest upstairs started pacing at 5:30 AM and sounded like the ceiling would cave in. The front door had a stain glass window so by 6:00 AM the room was completely lit. So between the paced and the light there was no way we were going to be able to sleep in. Save your money and go anywhere else! Trust me anywhere else would be better this this dive.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 February 2013

I ended up staying here, not by choice but pretty much had to. I had a very bad and stressful experience. I booked through BigBear-dot-com originally at Bear Creek, sister property, 3 months in advance. I ended up changing my arrival date (1 day early) by calling their reservation office. The guy on the phone confirmed and even SENT me an email confirmation and I thought we were set. I guess I was supposed to contact BigBear-dot-com, but the reservations agent didn't tell me that...
When we arrived there was no cabin for me. I had nowhere to go and Jacqueline, the GM was not willing to help me or take the blame for their mistake. She had absolutely no customer service skills and was so cynical. Nobody ever apologized once, ever. She made me feel it was my mistake and even told me I would have to pay for the night if I wanted to stay here. She called the Big Bear association and pretty much told them to deal with it because she wasn't. They did and were so kind and apologized for a mistake they didn't commit. Jacqueline was not willing to give up her suite at Fireside without first collecting some extra money from me. Well the Association arranged everything for me and that's how I ended up here for one night. But had to move to Bear Creek (sister property) for the second night. Please save yourselves the stress and book elsewhere, the don't deserve anyones business.

For Accomodations:
We stayed in room 4. Consisted of 2 bedrooms, 3 full bathrooms, kichenette and living room area with fireplace. It looked clean when we first got there. My mother ended up cleaning the microwave. It was soo gross the previous guests heated something that spilled out and made a mess that wasn't cleaned up before we checked in. She had to clean it up. The window sill behind the futon/sofa in the living room was so dirty, there was dust and cup rings printed on it. Gross. The restrooms and everything else appeared clean, but they need to pay attention to detail in areas mentioned. It was great that there were 3 full bathrooms. It's so convenient when you have several adults. There is free Wi-Fi it was convenient and worked well from our room. Check in is 3pm which is fine, but check out is 10am is too early especially when you have to worry about cleaning everything for housekeeping, if you don't you could get charged a fee. The front desk agents were nice. But will NEVER return to any of their properties and I will make sure people I know about my experience.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled with family
Reviewed 23 January 2013

I have been staying here a couple days a week for the past couple months. and have only experienced clean rooms, friendly staff and great room rates!!!!! Its also very centrally located to most restaurants and points of interest.. overall The Fireside Lodge is a win win for single night stays or week long trips....

Room Tip: I have stayed in 4 different rooms and they all seem to be clean and quiet . I have been staying the...
  • Stayed: December 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 14 January 2013

The fireside lodge was a nice find in big bear. It's affordable and located within walking distance of the village restaurants, bars and shops. It isn't fancy, but I found it to be clean, comfortable and the rustic, cottage-type decor was exactly what I expected from a small lodge in the mountains. We stayed in a room in the main building with a comfortable king bed and a fireplace (which we used a lot with single digit temps outside). I would stay here again for value and convenience.

• Stayed: January 2013, travelled as a couple