“Great Experience”

Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Redlands, California
“Great Experience”
Reviewed 3 June 2013

This was my families 2nd visit to Big Bear. We were here in February and stayed at another cabin, which was extremely expensive, extremely small with a bed that was very uncomfortable. This time we chose to stay at Golden Bear Cottages! The cabin was cute with plenty of space for my family of four. The cabin was very clean & smelled great with a nice big jacuzzi tub in it! Our teenage son slept on the pull out sofa bed and said it was one of the most comfortable beds he's ever slept in. The staff (Lisa & Lenny) were very friendly and you can tell they take pride in running their business & keeping customers happy. There is a common area with picnic tables and grass with plenty of playing room for the kids to play. The kids enjoyed the pool & my husband enjoyed the spa. Would highly recommend these cabins to family & friends and we will definitely stay there again. Thank you Golden Bear Cottages for making our visit to Big Bear a positive one!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Patricia A

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (34)
Reviewed 2 June 2013

Great place to stay!!! We had a wonderful experience!!! The staff was very nice and helpfull with giving us advice on things to do in Big Bear!!! If you are looking for a nice clean cabin then I recommend it!!! We will be back again soon!!!

• Stayed May 2013
2 Thank Lovemyfamof5
EL CAJON
Reviewed 31 May 2013

We stayed in a cabin that had a filled hot tub in it. Got in it the 1st nite and it was cold! Found out temp was set at 90something. So I set it at 103. They could tell you to turn it up or have a sign or something. There was also a lot of sand in it and I didn't smell any chemicals which made me wonder what I was going to catch and just how long that water had been sitting. So, we went to the pool, but found that unusable too cuz it had leaves, dirt, etc and the hot tub was the same except worse, it had a bunch of broken paint chips laying in the bottom. So, we walked around, the horseshoe pit was busted up (unusable) the ping pong table was all warped and nasty (unusable) and just completely unimpressed. At the office, they CHARGED $3 each no less to "rent" VHS movies and board games! Are you kidding me??! I've stayed at a lot of places and ALL the ones that have movies/games, etc are free. The cabins, well, their just as old and in need of a makeover as their website! They keep preaching 1920's restored, umm, the one we were in looked like it could collapse any time, and that looked like one of the nicest ones! We tried BBQ'in our 1st nite to find our grill was completely rusted out, which again, made it unusable, to use properly anyway. After waking up to a sore back and not much sleep from the bed I attempted a shower and had to squat the entire time cuz the showerhead only came up to my chest, and I'm 5'9", not a giant by any means. So, made a trip to the office for the 2nd time. We tried checking out the 1st day, but were told we would not get any refund. Also asked if we looked at the pics online...Yes, but the pics failed to show all the things discussed above! The next morning we made a 2nd attempt to get a refund, same thing, no and a bunch of excuses! They did clean the pool and change out our grill so they do try, but my biggest complaint would be the price, SOOOO not worth it! If they were $60-70/night, maybe...I told the guy that too and said we could do way better pretty much anywhere else for the same price or cheaper, he said I doubt it. We spent a few hours checking other places and could have switched for about $100 less/NIGHT. The only positives I can say for this place is they have a very warm pool, hot showers, and do TRY to accommodate you. There's a million NICE places to stay here, for the same price or cheaper. Wouldn't recommend to anyone for the price!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank jtwbaldwin
LMDU, Manager at Golden Bear Cottages Resort, responded to this review, 2 June 2013
While we feel really blessed to house all kinds of people at our resort, we are unfortunatly unable to please everyone. Upon checking in, I actually asked this party if they would like me to upgeade them to a different cabin because there was a family that has stayed in their cabin numerous times and really wanted it again. The declined my offer. The came to the office after being in the cabin for over 4 hours to give their list of compliants. I sent the maintnence person to their cabin immediatly that evening and again first thing the next morning. The jacuzzi was on and hot (jusyt not hot enough for them), so we turned it up for them/. It had just been drained and chemicaled that morning before their arrival. Also, the outside Jacuzzi and Pool were clean and ready to use. There were a few pine needles in the pool and spa, but the wind blew them in again right after we claened it everytime, as it was quite windy while these guests were staying with us. It is unfortunate that we were not able to please everyone, and we understand that, however we did EVERYTHING THAT THESE GUESTS ASKED US TO DO AND MORE!!! We pride ourselves on the fact that we have great and cozy cabins that feel like home, and we appreciate and love our guests that keep coming back. We are sorry for any inconvinence that this family may have felt and we wish them well.
Los Angeles, California
Reviewed 19 February 2013

I stayed at the Golden Bear Cottages over President's weekend. My decision to drive up to Big Bear from Los Angeles was very last minute so I assumed I wouldn't have any luck at finding a place to stay especially since I was traveling with my dog. I reached out to Golden Bear on Wednesday hoping for a Saturday check in. Lisa was nice and made it clear that they were very pet friendly. To my surprise she had 1 cabin available. I assumed the price would be jacked up but again to my surprise she quoted me a very reasonable price. I've never stayed in Big Bear or a mountain/ski area so I'm not sure what an average price is but I found less than $150 per night reasonable. The only thing was that I wanted to stay 2 nights and the required minimum was 3 nights. So I had to drive up Friday, which for the price and how accommodating she was I really didn't mind.

I had cabin #15. It was a simple cabin with a queen sized bed, a 2 seat dinette set, small fridge, microwave, and a small storage area with dishes, pots, and 1 hot plate to cook on. The bathroom also has a jacuzzi. Outside I had a grill that I didn't use. The cabin was comfortable although I found it got a little hot/dry at night. The simple solution to that was to turn down the heat or crack open a window. There were plenty of open areas to walk the dog. Some of the cabins have small fenced in yards which are obviously great if you have a pet. Oh and free wifi – that’s always a big thing for me.

When I checked in I spoke to Lisa for some time. She was friendly. They seem to thoroughly enjoy running their cabins and getting to know their guests. I asked probably some of the silliest questions and she answered all of them not seeming to mind. I explained it was my first time to a mountain/ski area so I was a complete newbie. She totally helped me out. The next day the gentleman in the office was equally friendly.

Check in was simple: my credit card was charged 50% before I checked in which Lisa explained over the phone. The remainder was charged when I got there. Check out was even easier: I left before the office opened on Monday morning so I just had to drop the key in a box.

My cons: my remote wasn’t working but I walked it over to Lisa in the office and she replaced the batteries. It still didn’t work great but I figured out that was due to the wall mount the TV was on... it blocked the remote/TV sensor. Nothing can really be done about that. There was no DVD player... that was disappointing to me since I brought some DVDs expecting to have movie nights. They do give you the option to rent VHS tapes in the office but I didn’t see a VCR in my room even though they said the room had one? Not sure where, I really didn’t notice it. But I decided to just watch Netflix on my ipad instead. The room was a little smaller than what I was looking for but considering how last minute I was I really cannot hold that against them. I could tell by walking around the cabins that there were plenty of different sizes to choose from if you aren’t a procrastinator like me.

The resort is within walking distance to the lake which has a cute area with picnic tables to sit and take in the scenery, and a small market and restaurant. It’s less than a 5 minute drive to snow activities and I guess what you’d call the town center which has tons of stores and restaurants.

• Stayed February 2013, travelled solo
2 Thank NJGirlvTheWorld
LMDU, Manager at Golden Bear Cottages Resort, responded to this review, 22 February 2013
I'm soo glad you had a good time. Looking forward to seeing you next time.

Lisa
Whittier, California
Reviewed 24 January 2013

Some of us from our church in Whittier, went there last summer. The cabins are roomy, well-stocked with cooking utensils, pots and pans, dishes, and everything to make it a home-away-from home. The weather was on the cool side at night, but beautiful during the day. The cabins are eclectic in design both inside and outside. My friends stayed in one of the big multi-bedroom cabins and it was roomy yet private. I came late, and was offered a large cabin with a loft and 4 beds for the same price as the smaller ones.

During the day, you are close to Big Bear City, where there are lots of little shops and restaurants and some street entertainment. Loved walking around and seeing people from all over enjoying the wonderful mountain air and visiting the shops where everything is, of course, bears!

I would recommend this particular group of cottages because they even offer pet-friendly cabins. The yards are enclosed so your pet can run free instead of being cooped up in the cabin all day. It is very kid-friendly - it has a swimming pool and lots of open areas around they can explore. It's close to the marina and water for swimming too.

There is also a very large lodge-type building that will sleep up to 18 people with a very large kitchen and dining area. It also has a rec room downstairs with a pool table.

We plan on going back again this August (2013) and renting out this large lodge for our group. Really a great place to stay, and the rates are very reasonable.

Room Tip: There are some rooms far from the street that are quieter. Some are also larger than others.
  • Stayed August 2012, travelled with friends
1 Thank ChrisCabrera
Newport Beach, California
Reviewed 12 January 2013

I called to make a reservation and the guy who answered was unpleasant and rude. No thanks! I was about to pay $900 for 2 nights but I'd rather give my money to someone who could at least make a slight effort at customer service.

• Stayed January 2013, travelled with family
4 Thank Zoe L
It makes me very upset that one of our potential guests was treated poorly. I have held an employee meeting reguarding this matter, and hopefully this will not ever occur again. My deepest apologies to this guest.
redlands
Reviewed 5 January 2013

We had a great time at this resort. The fireplace is cozy. It was great hearing the kids running through the park having a great time. It is a great family atmosphere. I felt safe and would come here again with kids to go skiing, or a girls trip. I spent this one with my husband and we will for sure come back and visit again. I was very impressed with the friendly greeting and the checking out process. I sat and talked to the owners for a bit and felt like i have known them for years. Cant wait to go back there since there has been a bunch of new snow.

Room Tip: Sorry i hit restraunt was excellent, but there was no restraunt.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends