“Only place I'll stay at when I visit Big Bear”

Golden Bear Cottages Resort
Ranked #10 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed 26 October 2013

My family and I had such a great time at Golden Bear cottages; our stay was exactly what I needed after a very stressful month. As we drove up it began to snow (my kids first snow experience) and the cabins looked like something from White Christmas (the movie). Our cabin had a full kitchen that was equipped with all the tools we needed to make our spaghetti dinner that night. After dinner we roasted marshmallows in our living room fireplace and watched a movie (cabin had a tv and dvd player). In th morning we made a full breakfast (having a kitchen is a must/saves money). The kids had a snowball fight on our private patio. What a perfect way to begin the holiday season. We will be back!!!

• Stayed: October 2013
3  Thank jingerbaker
There are newer reviews for Golden Bear Cottages Resort

Reviewed 22 October 2013

Just like the last reviewer on here, I too won a weekend trip to Big Bear for 4. 2 night stay at Golden Bear Cottages & tickets to the Oktoberfest. When we arrived they had a 2 person cabin reserved for us b/c the trip was suppose to be for 2 pp but the radio station told me 4pp so I went up with my husband & 2 children. It was a little awkward at first. Lisa at the front desk called her Dad about the mix up & after she hung up with him she went ahead & upgraded us to a bigger cabin at no extra charge. The cabin was nice. Just what I expected for a cabin in the mountains. It was warm, comfortable & very cozy. All the rooms in the cabin are decent size. The 2 recliners in the living room were pretty comfy! Me & my husband actaully fell asleep in them on our 2nd night. There were 4 beds upstairs, 2 full or queen & 2 twin size. They were comfortable & the bedding was very warm! There is also free wi-fi. There was an outside area near our cabin where my kids loved to run around, take pictures of the large trees & collect pine cones.
After pulling into the resort for the first time, I noticed that I had actually stayed there about 10 yrs ago with 4 other families in one of their larger cabins which is 5 bedrooms. The owner Don gave me a tour of the newly upgraded cabin before we left on sunday. It's awesome! Very nice & roomy! All the appliances looked to be newly upgraded & the bathrooms were big with jacuzzi baths. I am planning our next trip there with a few other families to go back when it is snowing in Big Bear.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
2  Thank 737Leslie
Reviewed 15 October 2013

We supposedly won a free weekend for 2 in a cabin. We call to see if we can bring a dog and we are told that our cabin was upgraded to a 10 person 2 story cabin( which we never got an answer to why we were upgraded in the first place after asking plenty of times) the answer to our dog question was, " just bring him and we can switch with another cabin that is pet friendly. When we get there we were once again greeted by mr.sunshine. and again we were told we had an upgrade which we were told for the first time we werre going to have to pay. I didnt have any problem paying the pet fee but we were charged 200 for the upgrade we didnt want and never asked for. I clarified in person what the upgrade came from and was told its the only cabin left. I doubt that at all considering the disgusting condition of the whole place. And its not a fact about paying but its one thing to be told something and then get another. Also the minute I handed over my card his whole demeanor changed to "try" and be friendly. Looking back and having a whole weekend to think about it in the nasty place, it was all a scam for them. They are getting paid twice and they dont realize the fact they are hurting their business more. I will never think about staying there again and I will stick to camping in the outdoors. Big bear was almost ruined for me.

• Stayed: October 2013, travelled with family
5  Thank Cassidy V
LMDU, Manager at Golden Bear Cottages Resort, responded to this reviewResponded 19 October 2013

I'm happy this guest shared her experience, and we will take her complaints and consider them. She was given a 2 nights stay from a radio show (which was donated by golden bear cottages) This offer is for a double occupancy cabin only and does not include pets. When she called the day before her arrival and had multiple people that would not fit in a two person cabin and 2 dogs, we had no choice but to try and accommodate her. We upgraded her to a 10 person cabin with 3 bedrooms and 2 baths and a private fenced pet yard. The cabin that she was moved to is usually over $700 for a weekend. We turned her gift certificate into being a $500 credit instead of $150 as a courtesy. The only thing she was charged was the cleaning fee, tax and the pet fee. This was over and above what we were committed to give. The cabin is very clean and we have many guests that stay there weekly without a complaint. It is tough to swallow when you give and still get criticized. We tried to contact this guest to offer them another gift card as a courtesy for their displeasure but did not receive a response yet. The cabin we moved her to was the ONLY pet friendly cottage available for that weekend and she agreed and said to go ahead and move her when she called the day BEFORE her arrival. It was no surprise when she got here what she was getting and what she was paying for. I hope that the guest will call us with any concerns in the future instead of writing a bad review. We are committed to making our guests happy.

Reviewed 11 August 2013

Perfect. A great getaway. Cabins are clean and comfortable, friendly staff, and more! This resort has plenty to offer. Pet friendly cabins, pools, WI - FI, cabin spas! There are also so many cabins to choose from. All different sizes! I enjoyed my stay so much. I HIGHLY recommend you try it out! I can't even name all the good things in one review.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with family
4  Thank trhall
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Our group had a great time at golden bear. We took up several different cabins throughout the resort. The grounds were clean and inviting. Plenty of space for all of us to hang outside together, kids to play, grills, pool/spa, and just enjoy ourselves. My cabin was a lot more roomy than most places I get to stay. It's a rustic feel and not the hilton, but I didn't expect that at all. The technology is a little out of date, but I never needed it so didn't care. Very friendly staff that was inviting and helpful throughout the stay. The area is just beautiful and the climate was great. I would definitely go back some day and do it again.

Room Tip: Most cabins contain different configurations. Make sure to look into each type to get what fits your...
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
3  Thank rheffernan11
Reviewed 6 August 2013

Stayed at the Golden Bear cottages resort this past weekend for a get together. Cabins were clean and comfortable. The thing that really made the cabins and trip enjoyable, though were the staff. They were exceptionally courteous and friendly and really went the extra mile to make us feel welcome and valued as customers and patrons. All the basic amenties worked just fine - water got hot quickly, beds were comfortable and clean, Wi-Fi was free, etc... They were also great helping us find local places to eat and figuring out activities to do. They even helped make adjustments so we could stay a day longer in our cabin than originally expected.

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank kenebahl
Reviewed 6 August 2013

I didn't know what to expect as i was part of a group booking and had ever been here before. My initial impression was that it was an absolutely beautiful setting. Just rustic enough to feel relaxed, and staffed enough for me to feel well taken care of. Kinda like a personal cabin where someone else cleans and provides fresh towels.

Room Tip: Each cabin I saw had a different charm
  • Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business