“Cosy, clean cabin.”
Review of Three Pines Lodge

We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Big Bear Region
Three Pines Lodge
Ranked #16 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Great Britain
“Cosy, clean cabin.”
Reviewed 6 March 2010

My wife and I stayed 2 nights (booked with ski lift passes deal) in February in one of their cheapest cabins (it's the small one with a fireplace in the bedroom and no lounge). We found the cabin to be very cosy and really enjoyed our stay there. The bed was comfy, the place was clean, the small TV worked well and came with a DVD player and the kitchen was stocked with sufficient utensils, etc. Obviously it's not the Four Seasons, but after a day on the slopes - once the fireplace gets going (wood not included - I recommend quick starter logs from Vons) and you get into bed with a hot drink it's just as good as far as I'm concerned.

That said I must quickly report that the 2 ladies that run this place unfortunately have a little work to do on their people skills. When we arrived at their office (which does indeed keep short and sporadic hours due to the fact that said women have to juggle their private lives with work) around 2PM to check in, we were expecting to pick up our lift passes so that we could hit the slopes that day. However, the ladies informed us that they hadn't received them yet and that one of them would have to go and pick them up later - so, we wouldn't be able to ski that day. Politely, we asked if there was anything we could do (i.e. go and pick the tickets up ourselves) and one of the ladies oddly and angrily snapped "well, you can go and pay full fare!" We gave them the benefit of the doubt (perhaps they were having a bad day?). However the next day, around 4PM my wife called from the town and asked if it were possible to leave a message for me (I was in our cabin) and the response again was unnecessarily angry: "I don't know how you expect me to do that when I'm at home with my kids!?!"

I don't want to make a big deal about this because we really enjoyed our stay at Big Bear and at our cabin at 3 Pines. I would only add that if those two ladies are reading this - that you please take heed: 'if you aren't courteous and you regularly carry your personal problems over to your professional lives then you may well lose business' (which would be a shame).

TIP: If you're hiring ski/snowboard rentals avoid the queues at the resorts and save money by hiring from a small business in the town.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled as a couple

Solo
california
Reviewed 26 February 2010

Location was decent, close to town. Cabin #5 was old and run down. Shower was nasty with stains and mildew in the floor cracks. Shower valve would not completely shut off due to the valve being old and worn out. Mattresses were horrible. Middle was extremely worn, forcing you into the valley in the center. Got up the next morning with a back ache. Heater was extremely loud, creaking all night. I know it is old but have never heard one that loud. Worst sleep I ever had on a vacation. Booked room the evening before. Nobody at office at 3;15. Had to call and leave message on answering machine. They called back probably 30 minutes later and told me they would open the cabin and leave the key inside, which was fine. Rate was decent for a little cabin, but not this one. If you stay here, don't expect a lot. Very old and run down. I am usually pretty tolerant with vacation accomodations but this place felt dirty inside. I'm glad I went with my gut feeling and only booked one night. I stayed somewhere else the next night. Hope this helps with your decisions.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
1 Thank rrexerr
San Diego, CA
Reviewed 8 February 2010

The pictures online of our cabin did not look quite like the cabin we walked into. There were holes in the carpet, the bed was as hard as a rock and the shower was barley holding up. If you are looking for nothing better than super cheap and run down, this is it. Office was only open from 9-3. Asked why the hours were shortened from what was posted on the internet and in response I was rudly snapped at. I could have found better at the same price.

• Stayed January 2010, travelled as a couple
1 Thank SurfCbad
San Diego, California
Reviewed 27 February 2008

I just got back from a great weekend in Big bear. We stayed at the Villa Grove Cabin which is not directly within the hotel. It's a cabin located in a great residential area. Very private and clean. We were 8 people so the option of renting a cabin was better than a set of hotel rooms. We have rented cabins in big bear before and they all seem to be dirty and out of shape. This cabin was great. The outdoor Spa was even better after a whole day in the slopes. It was VERY clean. Since our group was big and sometimes it tends to be a little noisy, this cabin was a great option, the rest of the cabins are not that close. Snow Summit and Bear Mountain were very close.

The downside: It took us a while to find it because it was snowing and the cabin is in a residential area. The linens and bed stuff in general was a little out of shape. The towels were not that great. All of us brought our own anyway. Definitelly recomend you bring your own stuff if you are picky about those things. The shower was ok, clean but needs some work. The kitchen has everything you need but nothing is new, we did not mind this at all but just want to let you know about the fact in case you mind.

Please note that if you want comments on the Lodge itself and their cabins located in their grounds, this review won't apply. We did have to stop to pickup the keys and do the paperwork and It looks very nice from the outside, the location is great right on the main street and close to everything.

• Liked — Privacy
  • Stayed February 2008, travelled with friends
    • Check-in / front desk
Colton, Ca
Reviewed 23 July 2007

I booked one of the small cabins that slept 4 and found it to be just right! The staff was very helpful and nice and the cabin was very clean. My family and I stayed for approximatly a week and we will definetly come back. While it is on a main st it was very quiet and peaceful at night. It was also located close enough to the village but far away enough to be enjoyable. Thanks for the wonderful service.

• Liked — Clean and a great value
  • Disliked — close to main hwy
  • Stayed July 2007, travelled with family
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
3 Thank moonlvr65
los angeles
Reviewed 1 March 2007

BEWARE... I booked with the reservationist after speaking with her 3 times... I even received an e-mail confirmation only hours later to receive a call telling me that they had to cancell my reservation b/c someone booked online before me and they had to honor that reservation. My question was why didn't they check this before they sent me confirmation. They left me scrambeling for another place. I just think that it was a lousy excuse and they probably bumped me for someone who was going to stay longer. I even spoke to the owner...he was not helpful.

Stayed March 2007
6 Thank worldwidetraveler-7
ThreePinesLodge, Manager at Three Pines Lodge, responded to this review, 19 April 2007
Just seconds before this guest finally made a telephone reservation, someone else first booked the particular cabin she was interested in over the Internet. As soon as we discovered this, we immediately contacted the guest to offer other units and help her find other lodging. Understandably she had her heart set on this particular (and very popular) cabin, but despite our best efforts to help with alternatives, there was no making her happy.

Our reservations are ALWAYS handled on a first come, first serve basis. Most people would agree this is a fair and appropriate way. Because we sometimes experience very busy periods of high demand, we encourage guests to make reservations as soon as possible so that they can get the best selection of cabins. Sadly if this guest had made her mind up just a little sooner, she would have gotten her first choice.

When researching on the Internet, please keep in mind that over the last 50+ years we have had tens-of-thousands of guests who have stayed in our Big Bear cabins and gone home happy. If this wasn't the case, Three Pines frankly wouldn't still be in business. Our staff works very hard to provide pleasant, clean accommodations in good repair. We'd encourage you to see for yourself why Three Pines has been a Big Bear Lake landmark pleasing guests since 1949.
Maidstone, United Kingdom
Reviewed 1 March 2007

My girl and I stayed at one of the Jacuzzi Suites. The location is great (near to everything). The room was big enough for us and quite comfortable. We found a few small hairs in the water when we were filling up the jacuzzi, but we just remove them with some paper. Our stay was lovely. The guy at the front desk back in the office was really kind and told us to call at any time if we had any problem. We didn't need to do this, because everything was great (well, just to ask for the wi-fi password). Would stay there again for sure.

Stayed February 2007