“horrible guest relations”

Ranked #2 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Rancho Mirage, CA
“horrible guest relations”
Reviewed 18 November 2007

I do not recommend this place if you are of the younger generations. I am a 26-year-old teacher and was treated like a twelve-year-old child by the owners of this establishment. They were rude and untrusting. When I stay somewhere I take better care of it than I do my own place even though I'm on vacation. They took one look at us and automatically thought we were two young kids in Big Bear who were there to party and don't have respect for anyone else. Their judgments were completely wrong.

Here's my story:

My boyfriend and I go up to Big Bear quite frequently. He grew up there and has places he likes to stay. I like to try new places so for his birthday he agreed to let me find a place. I searched on Orbitz and read reviews of several places and Cozy Hollow seemed like a nice place to stay. I gave them bonus point for having separate cabins that are decently priced in comparison (cost was a big factor for this trip). When we got there the wife of the owner greeted us. She was decent towards us, but when we asked to see the cabin first before paying she refused and persisted that we would be happy with it and it was their most popular one bedroom jacuzzi cabin. We paid for the 3 nights, received our keys, and proceeded to our cabin. It was adorable from the outside and at first when we opened the door it was cozy. Once we got all of our belongings inside we realized that it had a definite slope to the back corned of it by the bathroom. After some time in there we were even more aware of how off balanced the cabin was, however we knew their policy of no refunds or forgoing the first night's fee so we decided to stay and make the best of it. That night my boyfriend had a horrible time sleeping in the bed because he felt like he was sliding off of it slowly but surely. He ended up sleeping on the floor with his feet facing the downward direction of the slope. He didn't want to say anything because he didn't want to complain, but I felt it necessary. I went into to office and talked with the owner explaining how our night had gone. I recognized his policy and simply asked if we could switch cabins. He was extremely rude and persisted that Cabin #9 only slopes about 3 inches in the bathroom. I told him I disagreed and could feel the slope from everywhere in the cabin. I had even taken a can of tea and placed it in multiple areas in the cabin and watched it roll towards the slope in every instance. He finally agreed to let me see another cabin, however it didn't have a jacuzzi. I was fine with that and never even asked for a rate change to switch to a cheaper rated cabin. When he walked me in to the other cabin his first comment was to ask me if I wanted him to get a level to check it. I told him I guess it would be fine because I was not in a financial position to give up the money and go somewhere else, but that I was unhappy with the way we had been treated and I didn't care for the attitude and arguing. He then basically told me that he didn't want unhappy guests so I could go back to my cabin, pack up, and he would refund us for Saturday and Sunday. He said it though like he was kicking us out. I ran back to the cabin crying because I hate confrontation and we packed up our things and left.

Here's a word of advice - if you are an owner of a customer service related establishment you should treat your customers/guests with the utmost respect unless they give you some reason to treat them differently.

We never once did anything to the owners or their business that should have caused them to treat us the way they did. We were polite the entire time and kept their cabin completely clean - we never even used the jacuzzi tub that we paid extra for to be in that cabin.

• Liked — NOTHING
  • Disliked — Guest Treatment
  • Stayed November 2007, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
    • Business service (e.g., internet access)
10 Thank anglchck7

Business
Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (24)
Orange County, Ca
Reviewed 6 November 2007

My husband and I go up to Big Bear at least 4-5 times a year and we like trying new places. This is probably one of my favorite places out of all the places we've stayed. The owner was so sweet and helpful. We stayed in cabin #10. It wasn't huge but that was fine. We had a king size bed that I found to be very comfortable. It had a wood burning fireplace that was so romantic. The room had a TV with a VHS/DVD player so we rented movies and brought them back to the cabin. The Jacuzzi tub for two was perfect. You just had to be sure to mix your cold and hot water so the hot water didn't run out and there is a sign that tells you that. The cabins are a little older but I am all about cleanliness and our cabin was very clean.. I liked the fact that there was a small refrigerator and microwave. I was a little concerned that we would hear the mountain traffic since the cabin is somewhat close to the street but we didn't hear a thing. We had a great weekend trip and while we were there we booked 2 nights for the end of this month! I hope my next trip is as good as our last one.

Stayed October 2007
1 Thank dancestar182
KLORIK
Reviewed 16 October 2006

My husband and I stayed for 2 nights in cabin #9. We requested and received late check-in (8:30) with no hick-ups. The owner was very helpful in offering dining and activity suggestions. The interior was adequate as expected, fireplace in good working order, bathroom was a little let go, but for $100 a night, I didn't expect anything different.

My only potential concern was road noise as #9's bedroom backs up to the street and parking lot. I slept-in fine as the room had new blinds to keep out the light and the road noise did not keep me up. Bedroom provided with a TV/ VCR (not in living room/ 2nd room). In room m'wave & refrig. very convenient. The bed was not to my liking, but I wouldn't call it a deal breaker as all the bedding was nice and new and the heating kept the cabin just the right temp.

I would stay here again, no hesitation.

• Liked — In room fireplace
  • Disliked — Bathroom
  • Tips/Secrets — cabin #8 looked good
  • Stayed October 2006, travelled as a couple
    • Check-in / front desk
3 Thank KLORIK
Los Ageles
Reviewed 9 March 2006

My husband and I stayed at the lodge in Cabin #5--it was small but SO cozy and rustic! Wood burning fireplace, pine bed, exactly what you want while up in the mountains. It is within walking distance to stores, restaurants, etc. Would highly recommend.

Stayed August 2004
9 Thank tripa
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 18 November 2005

We made reservations for a romantic getaway at the Cozy Hollow Lodge in Big Bear Lake, California. The website shows comfortable little cabins with appealing decor. We checked into Cabin #9, the in-room spa cabin and supposedly the best cabin at the facility. It was clean and cozy - until we laid down for the night. The mattress was concave and far from comfortable. The thin eggcrate foam was not enough to shield our shoulders and hips from the wire supports that ran across the mattress - ouch. It was far from a restful night for us. BRING YOUR OWN MATTRESS.

We tried our best to ignore the horrible sleeping conditions and enjoy the rest of our cozy nest. In the morning, with well deserving stiff joints, we decided to use the spa tub for two. In order to turn the water on, you have to step into the tub to be able reach the knobs. I turned on the hot water first and SCALDING hot water bathed my toes. So I switched to cold and frigid water frooze my feet. I again tried my best to ignore this idiotic construction design and focus on the relaxing hot bath awaiting us. Unfortunately, the hot water heater is not quite large enough to fill the tub with HOT water so we took a tepid bath. Tepid water turns cold quickly, so we tried the hot water knob that brought so much scalding water earlier with no luck. Our tepid tub was hopelessly cold! BRING YOUR OWN HOT WATER.

It seemed an urgent matter to just get clean and get out of the cold water. Sorry no soap. BRING YOUR OWN SHAMPOO AND SOAP.

OK, forget the tub - we needed coffee. The cabin comes equipped with a tiny but functional kitchenette, including a coffee maker. Most lodging establishments will supply their guests with a bad tasting but free pre-packaged coffee bag. Sorry, BRING YOUR OWN COFFEE.

That was it - I was MAD. I could not spend another night in that room. I marched to the front office and tried my best to politely explain my dissatisfaction to the lodge owner. He politely apologized and agreed to allow my last minute cancellation for a small charge - $25.00. That seemed reasonable and generous to me. He counted back my change and in my haste to leave, I promptly wadded up the cash and put it in my pocket. It was not until later, upon checking into a new hotel, that I realized he had shorted me $20.00. BRING YOUR OWN CALCULATOR.

Our stay at the Cozy Hollow Lodge only cost me $195.00 for 12 hours of pure un-coziness.

24 Thank A TripAdvisor Member
A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 31 July 2005

These cabins were very simple and nice. I give them above average rating because the price was right. We had a 2 bedroom cabin with a full kitchen and seperate living area for only $140. It was also one of the few places that did not have a restriction of 2 or more nights. The cabin was a bit hot and stuffy due to no air conditioning. I would definitely bring a fan if you come and with the windows open you will have a fine stay. At night it cooled off and with the window open we were very comfortable. There was a toaster, microwave, bottle opener and all kinds of utensils. There was a full sized fridge with plenty of room, pots, pans and all the dishes we could desire. The room was very clean and comfortable. There was a nice fireplace, but it was too hot outside to want to light it. The bathroom was located off the living area so it could be shared without waking anyone. There was a tub and a shower and plenty of towels and toiletries. There was a small kitchen table where we played cards at night. There were some chairs on a front deck where we could sit and cool off in the evening - granted, we were by the side of the road, but that didn't bother us. However, the traffic never stopped all through the night, so if you are bothered by road noise it might not be the place for you. There was also a climbing play structure for kids about ages 3 to 11.

• Stayed July 2005