“The Basics”
Review of Cozy Hollow Lodge

Cozy Hollow Lodge
Ranked #3 of 19 Hotels in Big Bear Region
Reviewed 14 March 2013

We went up to Big Bear for a skiing weekend and wanted an inexpensive alternative to the large cabins so ubiquitous to the area. Our kids are grown and there were just two of us. Cozy Hollow Lodge was perfect for our purposes. We were able to rent a room with a bed, a bathroom, a fireplace, and a small refrigerator. This was the most inexpensive option without the motel feel. We selected a stand-alone cabin, which is a must if you don't want to share a wall with others. It was clean, cute, and, yes, cozy.

A couple of caveats--the office is open from 9:00 am to 7:00 pm, so make arrangements if you plan to get in late. They are very accommodating in this respect and were able to get into our cabin at 10:30 pm when we arrived. The second issue--they didn't clean our room. We were only there for two nights, so this wasn't a big deal. I'm not sure how typical this is. But our room was clean when we arrived and it even smelled nice too. We would rent again from this property.

Room Tip: Select a stand-alone cabin. Some share walls with other rooms.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 10 January 2013 via mobile

We stayed in units 1 and 2 combo with 2 kids. Plenty of space for 4. Kids loved the jacuzzi - used every night after skiing. Little but very functional kitchen. Was set for 2 people , but owners readily provide additional plates and utensils for us. Its warm, cozy and functional. Kids loved a small playground outside too. Friendly owners. Helped us book a right room for what we needed. It operates like a lodge, so cleaning and service by request. Overall, we loved it. And good deal for the price

• Stayed: December 2012
2  Thank Riga2La
CHL14, Owner at Cozy Hollow Lodge, responded to this reviewResponded 29 March 2015

Thank You for your review. You covered every point I've tried to cover in my brief replies and I hope travelers take the time to read your response to you're stay. We strive to make every guest stay a memorable one.

Reviewed 24 November 2012

I booked cabin #11 through Cozy Hollow Lodge site; which has pictures and descriptions of every cabin. The main things of importance to me in this particular trip were: cleanliness, rustic cabin, real wood fireplace, comfortable bed, hot shower water with good water pressure - all of which met my expectations! I shake my head at whatever negative comments that were placed regarding the owners and this property. If you want to be totally satisfied, do your homework and don't expect others to kiss your behind! Treat people with respect is the only way you deserve respect back. Assumptions are made regarding lack of items; did you even bother to ask so the owners could have the opportunity to accommodate? I am hoping to be able to come back and take advantage of the close proximity to so many places that I want to stroll to.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 5 November 2012

My fiance and I stayed at the Cozy Hollow for the weekend and had a very cozy stay! We had cabin #6. It was a small but just right for a last-minute weekend getaway. The fireplace made the room really nice and comfortable. The location was pretty close to everything around Big Bear Lake. The only down side to this unit, and perhaps other units sharing a wall with another unit, is the noise level. You could hear the TV next door...you get the idea. The staff were really friendly and helpful.

Room Tip: Ask for a stand alone cabin if you want some privacy.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 8 October 2012

I am not at all trying to say this place is bad but the title to this review only means that there might be better places. We stayed for a night in cabin 10 which is probably a good option considering it is a little off the road than the other cabins.

What I liked - Proximity to the village, snow summit and ofcourse the lake. My husband gave a plus because of the jacuzzi :)

What can be better - The cleanliness factor; the rugs were stained and that tends to put one off. I had mentioned during my reservation that we wanted an early check-in but that was ruled out completely by the lady at the reception. The bare minimum they can do is tell that the Special Request column on the reservation form does not apply to check-in times.

All in all, stay here if you do not get better options on the lake. This place is on the inroad and can be a tad noisy depending on what cabin you select.

Room Tip: Check-in starts at 1pm. If you come to Big Bear before that, go have a nice lunch, take a stroll at...
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 12 September 2012

Hubby and I stayed in Cabin 10 for 3 nights over Labor Day with our 10 month old daughter. The property is in a very convenient location, just about smack in the middle of the lake - close to the Village and restaurants. The cabin was easy to access from parking, clean and very comfortable. It is a busy road, but I cant say I ever hear the noise from the road during the day or at night.

The manager checking us in was friendly and polite. We had one small issue, the heater wasn't turned on so we were cold the first night - but when I asked them about it the next day they lit the pilot and we had no other issues. So, all in all it was a good stay. I might consider staying there again for a short trip. The cabin is small though, so if we go back to Big Bear, we might look for something with some more living area, couches, tables, etc. We went for the jacuzzi cabin, but never ended up using it. This was minor, but my husband was also put off by them telling us we needed to wash any dishes we used or we'd be charged a cleaning fee. He felt like for what we paid, it wouldn't kill them to wash a couple dishes (not that we used them anyway, LOL.) They do have a lot of little notices posted around, but they are small and I wasn't the least bit impacted by them.

On a side note, the outdoor jacuzzi wasn't operable. I asked about this before booking, so it doesn't really impact my review - although it would have been nice to have as an option.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled with family
2  Thank missmeghan
Reviewed 4 August 2012

My mom, sister and I who get together every couple months shared both cabin 7 and 8 this past weekend for our gal's weekend out. Not only is it truly cute and cozy, the folks that run it have hearts of gold. As is par for the course when I travel out of state I left my phone charger in the room only to have them expeditously send it back to me so I didn't have to buy a new one AND I didn't even know I'd left earrings in room 7 when we moved to 8 and they found them too! There is a cute little coffee house very easy (approx. .2 mile) walking to stroll to first thing in the morn and a steakhouse literally across the street. Cabins are great for families with young kids especially and there is a cute play area for the kids too . Cabin 8 is a true one bedroom with a separating door if that's important to you ; Cabin 7 is a one bedroom but no door separation thus probably great for the parents and young kids that may need to be kept an eye on. Everything in town is very close driving distance and you have to eat at the Grizzly Bear Cafe for breakfast...

Room Tip: Cabin 8 is the best!
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family