“Perfect weekend getaway! Loved it!”
5 of 5 bubbles Review of Black Forest Lodge

Black Forest Lodge
Los Angeles, California
“Perfect weekend getaway! Loved it!”
Reviewed 23 August 2013

We are a family of 5 with 2 dogs. Black Forest Lodge was so accommodating and took us at the last second. The staff was beyond friendly and we enjoyed every second in this cute hotel. We will definitely be coming back here! I saw complaints about spiders on this site, but honestly we are in the forest, regardless we didn't see any inside, just outside in the trees haha It is close to town and really just the best place to be with family. Thank you Black Forest Lodge!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled with family

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (37)
West Hills
Reviewed 4 August 2013

Couldn't sleep on the terrible mattress. When I called the front desk to let them know and to see if we could change rooms, they hung up on me! This was a very low brow experience. Do not recommend. We thought we were in for a treat because the front is so cute. We were wrong.

Room Tip: Go elsewhere.
  • Stayed August 2013, travelled with family
Tomas H, Manager at Black Forest Lodge, responded to this review, 7 August 2013
Hello, Just to make something clear, no one hung up on you! That is a blatant lie! We would have been more then happy to change rooms with a hard, med or soft mattress. As for the location we are 2 blocks from the lake and the main village. Our rates are very competitive with our town and less then most hotels and lodges. We have people from Beverly Hills, Dana Point, La Jolla that love our lodge and come time and time again!

Travellers are raving about these Big Bear Region hotels

Bracknell, United Kingdom
Reviewed 3 July 2013

We have just got back from a long weekend in Big Bear at the Black Forest Lodge. We booked it under a groupon deal and didn't have high expectations after reading some of their reviews, but we were very pleasantly surprised.

We had 'Gordon Chalet B' - a double queen bed room. My husband, two children, lab/retriever dog and I were very comfortable. It had all we needed, and included a fire place (although in 90 degree heat we didn't need it). It was cool enough from the ceiling fan.

The room was a little tired, the sink was stained and cracked but worked just fine. The carpets were a bit grubby, but given it's primarily a ski resort and pets are allowed, we didn't see this as a problem - it was the floor. The beds were comfortable, and the bathroom was a good size for the four of us.

The reception staff were very friendly. The swimming pool was a refreshing cool break at the end of a busy day investigating the lake. The hot tub was extremely hot! Not sure if the thermostat was quite right actually, but everyone enjoyed it in short bursts.

Big Bear itself is great! We spent lots of time by the lake, hired a pontoon boat and a canoe and went up the Sky Chair to the top of Snow Summit. There's a great bowling barn too.

We would definitely return to Black Forest Lodge - with the same expectations we went with this time - but if we were looking for a luxury stay we would look to some of the other more expensive options nearby. Black Forest Lodge is worth a bargain visit!

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
2 Thank Lisa A
El Cajon, California
Reviewed 10 June 2013

Not at all what it looks like in pics. Really cute from the street. We reserved a cabin on line and were told that the system gave us an unusually low rate when we got there. I was really looking forward to one of the nice cabins with fireplace and jacuzzi tub.They gave us a key to a cabin (Zippy) with a jacuzzi tub. When we opened the door first thing that hit us was the moldy musty smell. It was as small as a garden shed and appeared to be one that they threw a sink, tub and bed into. We immediatly requested a new cabin and were told that the rate would more than double only to find out that they didn't have another cabin available. We looked at 3 more rooms in their "motel" which we finally settled on a room that was old, dirty with broken light bulbs on the floor, but we were tired and already paid. There were lights that did not work and they had to come replace bulbs so we could see. The woman at the desk was trying to be friendly. I actually felt bad for her. There was an accumulation of what appeared to be dog hair on the carpet at the bathroom door. I did not bring slippers but felt like I had to wear shoes inside. We stored our luggage on top of the armoir to avoid bringing any "critters" home. The bed was old and hard with ancient bedding, queen bed with a twin mattress cover and shredded plastic covering (I looked, to check for bed bugs). No AC. Oh, and spiders!, Big ones! Just a note: We are not afraid of a little dirt or camping, as this was a jeep off road trip with friends. We made the best of an icky situation, just know that the pictures and desription that is on line does not depict this "lodge" in a accurate light. We will not go back. Our entire group was dissatisfied.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled as a couple
4 Thank Kim B
Los Angeles, CA
Reviewed 13 May 2013

Just got back from spending Mother's Day weekend at this lodge. I booked through their website and had initially reserved one of the jacuzzi/fireplace suites. To be honest, I was really not pleased with the room in which we were placed at first (#49). The bed was way too high (not easy for older folks) and the black and grey color scheme wasn't my favorite (particularly because I'd requested one of the more "girly" rooms with floral wallpaper pictured on the site as this was for a moms getaway weekend). We probably could've lived with those things, but what made me call the front desk was a hole I noticed in the bathtub where it looked like perhaps a piece of patching had come loose.

That being said, I want to emphasize that the owner Rita and her daughter Katrina reacted IMMEDIATELY and bent over backwards to make things right. Within three minutes of our call, Katrina showed up to inspect the tub and the moment she saw the damage, she upgraded us at no extra charge to the Belclare Cabin.

Indeed, what an upgrade that was! The cabin was built in 1910 and has a very rustic, Alpine woodsy feel to it: dark wood with a forest green roof, white gingerbread and native stone exterior trim and a lovely beamed ceiling inside. No, it's not perfect, but the issues were pretty minor (a broken plate on one of the electrical outlets and the pipe under the sink had been repaired with plumber's tape) and considering you're talking about a 100+ year old cabin, it seems to me that the owners put a great deal of care into the upkeep and have done what they could for the most part to update it. The TV was small and older (but if you go to a resort to watch TV, then I suggest you get a life!). We had a fridge and a microwave that functioned perfectly. The room didn't have the coffeemaker that was supposed to be included, but it wasn't an issue as we had brought our own and with as helpful as both Rita and Katrina were all weekend any time we needed anything, I am sure that I'd have gotten one if I had asked. It was a bit difficult to find someplace to plug it in, but again, it's a one-room cabin with a separate bathroom and it was built way before we knew we'd ever need fifteen outlet plugs in each room. I had a bit of trouble connecting to the Wi-Fi, but when I called the front desk to ask if there was a password, they were very cheerful and offered to help me get it going if I brought my laptop to the office. I just used my phone instead (and the cell signal was fine up there). We managed!

The jacuzzi tub and fireplace that dominate the main room were the highlight of the cabin. The jacuzzi was older but clean and in good repair, and relaxing in it by the fire was such a wonderful way to unwind on a chilly night! The outdoor pool and jacuzzi were still closed for the season (small nit: this would have been nice to know at booking). We spent a lot of time on the small wooden porch attached to the cabin, which featured a built-in wooden bench and also a large round umbrella table and four plastic chairs. In the morning following our first night's stay, a couple of women showed up and scrubbed down the table and chairs and placed a cheerful plastic tablecloth with colorful butterflies on the table for us. It was so nice to sit out on the porch with a cup of coffee and a book or a sketchpad and breathe the clean mountain air and just chill.

The appropriately-named lodge and the surrounding grounds are absolutely charming and the setting is so tranquil. You are nestled among beautiful pine trees, some of which we were told have been around for 800 years, and the cabins that dot the landscape are each a little different but all have the cozy and quaint appearance that ours did. It felt like spending the weekend in a quiet little storybook land. All of the neighbors were very friendly (well, except the jerk near our first room who'd not only hogged two spaces but had left a lit BBQ unattended in a third space--whomever you are, hope you're happy that your selfishness caused an old lady with a cane to schlep twice as far with a bunch of heavy bags!). This is a pet-friendly resort and a lot of the cabin occupants had well-behaved dogs in tow.

Finally, Rita didn't even bat an eye when I asked for a late checkout. Maybe it would be different when they're full up during busy season, but we certainly appreciated the couple extra hours to just take our time and gather up our stuff and prepare to transition back to the real world! I know I've already said this, but I just can't overstate the degree to which Rita and Katrina's helpful and friendly attitudes really took the quality of our stay to a whole new level. We chatted with them often as they went about their chores (and they were always doing something around the grounds, watering flowers or washing things down; as I said before, it is clear to me that they take pride in the place and care how it looks). Katrina shared food with us from her child's birthday party and Rita even came up with a castoff shirt for me when I mentioned I wanted to dye my hair but had forgotten to bring a ratty t-shirt. We truly felt like valued guests at this resort.

We will be happy to return to Black Forest Lodge next time we visit Big Bear.

Room Tip: Definitely go for the cabins. This review might have been a lot different if we had stayed with the...
  • Stayed May 2013, travelled with family
3 Thank EuterpeThelo
Riverside
Reviewed 7 May 2013

The cabins are 35 years old, but they are trying to keep them updated. Kitchens well stocked. They real thermostat so no constant adjustment of heater. A bathroom door may not close just right because of swelling, etc. Queen bed was against one wall which created some acrobatics. Room did have a Jacuzzi tub however not utilized.

Room Tip: Cabins as opposed to hotel must be much quieter.
  • Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
La Mesa, California
Reviewed 2 February 2013

PLEASE think twice about staying here! We bk our reservation on orbiz and that made the mgt. up set. Wanted a upgrated rm pd another $92.00. The rm was misty smelling, the bathrm fan lound, T.V. outdated couldn't see it from the bed. Micro wave and frig not in good working order. Next day woke up in hives, blisters and rashes from head to toe. Showed mgt my skin condition, she argeed to comp. my rm. I needed to get home on a Medical Emergency. I asked her to e mail it to me. It took her 2wks of me constanly bugging her on the phone. When she did she put all kinds of restrictions on the comp. room. I told her that was not the deal so she said fine you get nothing at all. Had the dermatoglist due a bx and found out 99.9% chance of bed bugs! A month later and still not healed. Dr visit and 1 wk off work. Plenty of predsone for 3 wks! The rm came to $292.00 for 2 days and only stayed 1 night. I asked her at least give me back the $92.00 up grade. She said NO! Stay at Black Forest Lodge at your own risk!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
2 Thank christina c
Tomas H, Manager at Black Forest Lodge, responded to this review, 18 February 2013
We tried everything to accomodate this customer and her husband. She checked in to our lodge on December 31st and complained that there was too much noise from the street so we moved her and her husband to the rear of the property. The next day this customer complained again and we offered to give her credit to come back but not during the holiday or weekend. This customer said that she would only take the credit on weekend which was not offered her. When customers sign our registration form it clearly states that there are no refunds for early checkout! We tried and were unable to accomodate this customer, but to no avail!